United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4403 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 65 of 74
29 October 2013 at 3:35pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:

This is why I love the verb GET. It can used used - and overused - in so many ways that students become excited
as they can start interacting in a meaningful way. A basic phrase like I get it or I got it can produce amazing
results. And of course let's not forget DO, HAVE, BE and MAKE. And we can throw in football and umbrella
anytime.

I have dabbled in teaching some German to beginners. I'm aware of the fact that "get" covers many situations in English, which require separate verbs in German. That's before we, er, get to the more idiomatic usage such as "get away with it" or "get it up and running"

The word "up" also seems to have a powerful effect when appended to common verbs.

1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 66 of 74
29 October 2013 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Let's be serious here. The point of ritualized conversations is that
many interactions for learners are of a highly
predictable and repetitive nature. I can't expect people to start discussing
Bruckner's symphonies after three days,
but I can teach them to order something in a café.

If a student asks me to do this I'll do it. But you make it sound like language is an
inflexible concrete wall, when it's an active living thing. Yes, there are general
principles and many conversations are based on a set of words, but that means you can't
deviate from the norm. Deviating from the norm is what everyone does all the time, and
it is what you have to learn to speak fluently. The trick is to get into the situations
often, not to understand the predictable parts (you can do this in a day), but to deal
with the deviations, and that can be in any of 6060606060 scenarios. That's why I keep
it free-form, so I naturally approach a situation where we discuss a topic and I react
like a different person would, forcing the student to think on their feet and DEVELOP
methods to cope with the unknown.

Any dunce can recite ritualised conversations, but that is not what you want to teach
people.
3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5211 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 67 of 74
29 October 2013 at 4:03pm | IP Logged 
Come on people. It's not as if I'm saying that you can learn ten canned phrases and then you stop learning. We
all know very well that many conversational interactions have what I called ritualized components. A typical
example is answering the phone. Are there twenty-five ways of answering the phone? How many ways are there
of asking to speak to someone? How many ways are there of saying that the person is busy or not there? And
how do you say goodbye? All of this sounds so simple until you have to do it spontaneously without stuttering.
Just saying goodbye properly is often challenging.

That is the ritualized part of a telephone conversation. This I can work on easily. The rest of the conversation is
another question.

Greetings and salutations are perfect examples of ritualized interactions. Some people sneer at learning this stuff
because it's not considered important. Sure it's pretty simple but I tell students that the very first thing that
comes out of your mouth tells people (or gives them the impression) how well you speak. Just being able to say a
good clear Bonjour with an impecable accent will sollicit a Bonjour from the other person. Being able to ask if
the elevator is going up or down is very simple but it is a simple means of engaging the language. Something like
"Please, after you" can do wonders for developing self-confidence and encourage further llearning. And above all,
it gets you speaking right away.

And, please, don't tell me that learning to speak a language can be reduced to learning a few lines for dunces.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 68 of 74
29 October 2013 at 4:06pm | IP Logged 
Quote:
Come on people. It's not as if I'm saying that you can learn ten canned phrases
and then you stop learning. We all know very well that many conversational interactions
have what I called ritualized components. A typical example is answering the phone.
Are there twenty-five ways of answering the phone? How many ways are there
of asking to speak to someone? How many ways are there of saying that the person is
busy or not there? And how do you say goodbye? All of this sounds so simple until you
have to do it spontaneously without stuttering. Just saying goodbye properly is often
challenging.

I can vary with at least 5 different opening lines depending on who's calling, and
similarly with quite a few depending on when I leave.

Quote:
And, please, don't tell me that learning to speak a language can be reduced to
learning a few lines for dunces.

If you're going to insinuate, read correctly. Ritualized scripts are things you can
MEMORIZE. I don't need to be capable of any creative thought to speak well in this
context. Yes, anyone who can memorize a bit can learn this. The biggest hurdle will be
training pronunciation. What you can't teach this way is confidence, motivation,
inspiration or creativity, which is what makes language stellar and unique. What you
can't teach them is what to do when something happens that is not a textbook
situation...

...and this is going to happen every day.

I can learn tons of scripts but it's script learning. It's got nothing to do with
language teaching.

Edited by tarvos on 29 October 2013 at 4:25pm

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6484 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 69 of 74
29 October 2013 at 4:22pm | IP Logged 
I can learn the common greetings in the plane to my next travel destination. Until then my primary concern is to be able to read about themes like those I mentioned, and the discussions I have had in different countries are partly those foreseen by travel guides, partly those about my favorite themes - for instance when I talk to guests and employees at museums. And yes, the themes I mentioned are actually themes I have been discussing with native speakers during my travels - that's why I mentioned them. But of course I'll also learn to ask for a room in a hotel or the price of a blue bag of potato chips.

The wish to start out with simple conversation phrases is quite understandable if your reference frame is courses with budding language learners - every teacher would probably love to have pupils that can greet him/her and each others, give their names and discuss the weather and other standard themes. But for independent students those discussions may be less relevant. And the element of role playing is positively abhorrent to me.

Edited by Iversen on 29 October 2013 at 4:26pm

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5211 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 70 of 74
29 October 2013 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Really, I don't know what there is to discuss. If simple conversation strategies are of no importance to you, then
you should not learn them.

I have just attended an international conference on multilingualism and neuroscience at a local university. This
was full of heady academic language of course. Probably right up @iversen's alley. I noticed how all the speakers
began and ended their presentations. They all pretty much followed the same pattern. This is what I teach. I say
that there are a few ways of introducing yourself. You could say: I am X or My name is X. Now if you wanted to be
really creative you could probably concoct other ways. But those two will carry you a long way.

I tell students that at the end of a presentation, they will probably hear a variant of: Well if there are no more
questions, we'll call it a day. Thank you professor X for an excellent presentation.

Is this exactly what they will hear every time? Of course not but it is a sort of template that will vary. The same
thing with telephone conversation openings and cloisings. Of course they vary from speaker to speaker but they
fall into general patterns. It's not more complicated than that.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 71 of 74
29 October 2013 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Frankly, in today's world, the self-leaarner can basically have a custom-made syllabus with tons of audio, video, transcriptions, dozens of websites on every conceivable aspect of any language. I don't see what people are complaining about.
Please tell me where to get this in Belarusian and Karelian, and Neapoletan while I'm at it :-)))

You're fluent in English and Spanish, two languages that have this all. Is it so hard to understand that your experience is limited to big languages fairly similar to your native one?

Even in other fairly big languages like Portuguese, German and Italian I can't have as much as I can have in Spanish, not to mention my other languages.

But more importantly, people ARE producing plenty of materials for all these languages, and some for the smaller ones too. They just produce the wrong things, and it's frustrating. Why should it be the learner's job to make a course for themselves when there are people who are paid to do that? Why are they producing boring shite when they could make great courses that would help even casual learners achieve a good level?

Oh wait...
5 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 72 of 74
29 October 2013 at 6:32pm | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
That's before we, er, get to the more idiomatic usage such as "get away
with it" or "get it up and running"

The word "up" also seems to have a powerful effect when appended to common verbs.

There's a joke there somewhere, but I'm too mindful of this being a family-oriented forum
to over-emphasise it. :-)

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 810  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version