Canada
Joined 5234 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 25 of 74
26 October 2013 at 1:30pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Your examples are not about the usage of get, imo (except "get you a drink"). The first and last one are more
about "have", and the real key word in the last one is actually "clue".

The verb GET is used in three common examples but @Serpent says that two of them are not about the usage of
GET but some other verb, This is an astute observation but begs the question: why is the verb GET used in all
three examples?

The answer is that GET is a multi-purpose verb that can replace many other verbs. For example, get sick is the
same as fall sick or become sick. Get a cold is the the same a catch a cold. Get an e-mail is the same as receive
an e-mail. Etc.

That is precisely why GET ranks to high in the list of common verbs; it can replace many other verbs. Not all the
time of course, GET does not replace the auxiliary HAVE. It only replaces certain uses of HAVE.

The point here is that the examples are all about GET because they demonstrate the power of a single verb to
convery three distinct meanings. It's a sort of three-for-one verb.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6386 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 26 of 74
26 October 2013 at 1:47pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
It's not a question of "highly advanced meaning/usage of the basic words." It's the ability to use those basic words to render complex ideas. Let's take the example of that common verb in English GET. How many nuances of meaning are there in the use of GET by itself? Probably at least 10. What's the highly advanced
meaning/usage in "Something's got to give," "What can I get you to drink" and "I haven't got a clue?"

The thing is, without knowing the word "get", you can get (haha) a pretty good idea of the meaning. "What can I X you to drink?" is a lot clearer than "What can I get you to X"? And for production, you can express these concepts in much simpler terms when you're still a beginner. Hell, you'd be understood with a "You drink what?", though that's not very good, of course. But a grammatical "What will you drink?" will get you far. This is using the most basic meaning of the word "will", to indicate a future tense. So when producing language, knowing the most basic meanings of the fundamental words will get you far, and when listening, knowing all of the different variants in which the word can be used will get you nowhere if you don't know the noun in the sentence. This is because in general you can only do a few things with a noun (you can play or watch football), but verbs can correspond to any number of nouns (there are thousands of things you could play or watch).

So I agree with the ones saying that "Something's got to give" is much, much more advanced and should come much later in te learning process than the words "umbrella" and "football".
6 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5234 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 27 of 74
26 October 2013 at 2:19pm | IP Logged 
Ari wrote:
s_allard wrote:
It's not a question of "highly advanced meaning/usage of the basic words." It's
the ability to use those basic words to render complex ideas. Let's take the example of that common verb
in English GET. How many nuances of meaning are there in the use of GET by itself? Probably at least 10. What's
the highly advanced
meaning/usage in "Something's got to give," "What can I get you to drink" and "I haven't got a clue?"

The thing is, without knowing the word "get", you can get (haha) a pretty good idea of the meaning. "What can I X
you to drink?" is a lot clearer than "What can I get you to X"? And for production, you can express these concepts
in much simpler terms when you're still a beginner. Hell, you'd be understood with a "You drink what?", though
that's not very good, of course. But a grammatical "What will you drink?" will get you far. This is using the most
basic meaning of the word "will", to indicate a future tense. So when producing language, knowing the most
basic meanings of the fundamental words will get you far, and when listening, knowing all of the different
variants in which the word can be used will get you nowhere if you don't know the noun in the sentence. This is
because in general you can only do a few things with a noun (you can play or watch football), but verbs can
correspond to any number of nouns (there are thousands of things you could play or watch).

So I agree with the ones saying that "Something's got to give" is much, much more advanced and should come
much later in te learning process than the words "umbrella" and "football".

If I understand this correctly it is more important to learn nouns than verbs because you can always guess the
meaning of verbs but you can't do this with nouns. So one should learn nouns like "football" and "umbrella"
before learning any verbs. Am I reading this correctly?

I don't really object. to this idea of first learning the words for concrete objects. I think that many language
classes for beginners, especially children do exactly this. But what about the rest of the language? How do you
put those nouns together? That's pproblem. How many people here at HTLAL start a language by learning 200
nouns? Nor do people start with sophisticated idiomatic expressions.

What everybody does is start with simple constructions that highlight the major components of the language,
including nouns of course. Why do people pay attention to lists of the most common words of a language? It's
not to learn the words in that order. It's to get an idea of what the most important components are. We know for
example that around the 50 most common words are structural or connector words. They are to be found in
nearly every sentence in the language. So you learn to recognize them and then how to use them.

In English, for example, I having nothing against learning football and umbrella as the first two words in the
language. I just happen to think that the personal pronouns (I, you, he, she, etc) , the articles (the, a, an) and the
verbs like BE, HAVE, SAY and GET should be learned as soon as possible.

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4426 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 28 of 74
26 October 2013 at 3:00pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

In my opinion, the only reason a beginner might be interested in phrasal verbs is that when natives simplify
their speech, they think of the individual words and somehow think that if the verb is common and the
preposition is common, you should understand what they are saying. Whereas when it comes to English, a
speaker of a Romance language will understand the long and supposedly complicated words easier. (may
even happen with other languages if the word in question comes from French or Latin)

That's interesting. A beginner would probably have more chance of understanding "accommodate" rather
than "put you up" or tolerate rather than put up with.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4632 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 29 of 74
26 October 2013 at 3:31pm | IP Logged 
Yes, learn verbs and connectors very early on, but you have to have at least a few nouns
and maybe adjectives/adverbs, in order to construct interesting phrases or sentences with
them.

Ditto nouns of course. No point in learning "football" if you can't say "play football"
"watch football" "enjoy football" "he scored a goal" "he was offside" "that was a foul!"
"the ref's an idiot...." etc, etc.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6401 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 30 of 74
26 October 2013 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Ari wrote:
s_allard wrote:
It's not a question of "highly advanced meaning/usage of the basic words." It's
the ability to use those basic words to render complex ideas. Let's take the example of that common verb
in English GET. How many nuances of meaning are there in the use of GET by itself? Probably at least 10. What's
the highly advanced

The thing is, without knowing the word "get", you can get (haha) a pretty good idea of the meaning. "What can I X
you to drink?" is a lot clearer than "What can I get you to X"? And for production, you can express these concepts
in much simpler terms when you're still a beginner. Hell, you'd be understood with a "You drink what?", though
that's not very good, of course. But a grammatical "What will you drink?" will get you far. This is using the most
basic meaning of the word "will", to indicate a future tense. So when producing language, knowing the most
basic meanings of the fundamental words will get you far, and when listening, knowing all of the different
variants in which the word can be used will get you nowhere if you don't know the noun in the sentence. This is
because in general you can only do a few things with a noun (you can play or watch football), but verbs can
correspond to any number of nouns (there are thousands of things you could play or watch).

So I agree with the ones saying that "Something's got to give" is much, much more advanced and should come
much later in te learning process than the words "umbrella" and "football".

If I understand this correctly it is more important to learn nouns than verbs because you can always guess the
meaning of verbs but you can't do this with nouns. So one should learn nouns like "football" and "umbrella"
before learning any verbs. Am I reading this correctly?

I don't really object. to this idea of first learning the words for concrete objects. I think that many language
classes for beginners, especially children do exactly this. But what about the rest of the language? How do you
put those nouns together? That's pproblem. How many people here at HTLAL start a language by learning 200
nouns? Nor do people start with sophisticated idiomatic expressions.

What everybody does is start with simple constructions that highlight the major components of the language,
including nouns of course. Why do people pay attention to lists of the most common words of a language? It's
not to learn the words in that order. It's to get an idea of what the most important components are. We know for
example that around the 50 most common words are structural or connector words. They are to be found in
nearly every sentence in the language. So you learn to recognize them and then how to use them.

In English, for example, I having nothing against learning football and umbrella as the first two words in the
language. I just happen to think that the personal pronouns (I, you, he, she, etc) , the articles (the, a, an) and the
verbs like BE, HAVE, SAY and GET should be learned as soon as possible.

I didn't say you shouldn't learn the word get. But for a beginner it's enough to learn the basic meaning and maybe read through the whole definition to get a feel for the less common meanings. In my experience, phrasal verbs or similar verbs with different affixes can be confusing in the beginning. When you firmly know what the verb means and what the prepositions mean, only then it's time to learn the phrasal verbs.

Also, frequency lists are useless when it comes to travelling. For a traveller umbrella would be on the top-10 words you need to know, unless you're going to the Sahara.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6401 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 31 of 74
26 October 2013 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Yes, learn verbs and connectors very early on, but you have to have at least a few nouns and maybe adjectives/adverbs, in order to construct interesting phrases or sentences with them.

Ditto nouns of course. No point in learning "football" if you can't say "play football" "watch football" "enjoy football" "he scored a goal" "he was offside" "that was a foul!"
"the ref's an idiot...." etc, etc.

I agree of course :))) But if you want to be able to say "watch football", you don't need to learn all the phrasal verbs with watch like watch out, watch for etc. And that would be ungrammatical, but play football can be replaced with "*do football" if you really need to get your point across.

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6386 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 32 of 74
26 October 2013 at 4:05pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
If I understand this correctly it is more important to learn nouns than verbs because you can always guess the meaning of verbs but you can't do this with nouns. So one should learn nouns like "football" and "umbrella" before learning any verbs. Am I reading this correctly?

Actually, I don't think it matters that much, at least for me. I'll be working on lesson material where I can learn all the words anyway, and I won't start working on native material, let alone start talking, before I have several thousand words under my belt, anyway. I just got the impression that you advocated learning all the nuances of the basic words in the beginning, and that seems odd to me. The basic words are high frequency in large part because they have so many meanings. Learning all the meanings of the word "get" because it's such high frequency is a bit odd, because not all the meanings of the word are high frequency. You get pretty far with learning to basic meaning of the word and then leave the rest until later. You don't need to learn all aspects of a word at the same time.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 74 messages over 10 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9 10  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version