10 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
manjina
Yugoslavia
Joined 5354 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: English

Message 1 of 10
25 October 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
Can you help me find this texts.It would be great if there is a Der Graf von Monte Christo German-english text. Thank you in advance..
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4649 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 2 of 10
25 October 2013 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
You might be interested in this thread I started.
Parallel Books and Aglona Reader

There are a small number of public domain works available from one of the links mentioned, sadly not including the one you asked about,
but still might be of interest.

The exciting thing is that you can also use Aglona Reader to construct your own parallel texts (in a rather interesting format), if you
have e-book versions of the original and the translation. (You need to convert them to text files, which you can do with the free
Calibre software).
2 persons have voted this message useful

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5141 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 3 of 10
25 October 2013 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
AFAIK, there's no commercial bilingual German/English edition of the Count of Monte Christo. PG Germany offers the German translation for free and the English translation is available at PG USA, however, both translations are not really suitable for language learning, because they're both dated and moreover the English PD version is missing text and the German translation is simply horrible.

If you really like the Count of Monte Christo, I'd recommend the 1996 English translation by Robin Buss, which is by far the best contemporary translation.

Edited by Doitsujin on 25 October 2013 at 5:46pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4649 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 4 of 10
25 October 2013 at 6:48pm | IP Logged 
Yes the quality of the translation is important.

Are there any good German translations?

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4649 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 5 of 10
25 October 2013 at 6:56pm | IP Logged 
So Manjina, I see there is a kindle version of the Robin Buss translation, so what you
could do is:

1. buy and download that English version to Kindle-for-PC.

2. Run Calibre with the add-on to remove the DRM

3. Run Calibre again to create a plain text version.

Assuming there is also somewhere a good German version in Kindle format, so the same
for that. (Or any other ebook format - Calibre can handle them all).

Then you have your raw materials to make your own parallel text version in Aglona
Reader (or any other tool you want to use).

Watch Yanis's videos carefully to see how he does it.
If you happen to speak Russian, there are also Russian versions of the videos.

Doitsujin
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5141 days ago

1256 posts - 2363 votes 
Speaks: German*, English

Message 6 of 10
25 October 2013 at 8:10pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Are there any good German translations?

Unfortunately, not. Pretty much all commercially available unabreviated German translations are based on the Max Pannwitz translation and differ only slightly from the original German text, and Pannwitz wasn't the greatest translator/editor as the following excerpt from the second page of the first chapter shows:

FR: (original)

« Ah ! c’est vous, Dantès ! cria l’homme à la barque ; qu’est-il donc arrivé, et pourquoi cet air de tristesse répandu sur tout votre bord ?
– Un grand malheur, monsieur Morrel ! répondit le jeune homme, un grand malheur, pour moi surtout : à la hauteur de Civita-Vecchia, nous avons perdu ce brave capitaine Leclère.

EN: (anonymous translation available at PG)

"Ah, is it you, Dantes?" cried the man in the skiff. "What's the matter? and why have you such an air of sadness aboard?"
"A great misfortune, M. Morrel," replied the young man,—"a great misfortune, for me especially! Off Civita Vecchia we lost our brave Captain Leclere."

DE: (Pannwitz translation, PG edition)

Ah, Sie sind es, Dantes, rief der Mann in der Barke; was ist geschehen, und was bedeutet das traurige Aussehen des Schiffes?
Ein großes Unglück, Herr Morel, antwortete der junge Mann. Auf der Höhe von Civita Vecchia haben wir den braven Kapitän Leclère verloren.

DE: (Adapted Pannwitz translation, published by Aufbau)

»Ah, Sie sind’s, Dantès!« rief der Mann in der Barke. »Was ist denn passiert, und warum trägt alles an Bord diesen Ausdruck der Trauer?«
»Ein großes Unglück, Herr Morrel«, antwortete der junge Mann, »besonders für mich! Auf der Höhe von Civitavecchia haben wir den braven Kapitän Leclère verloren.«

While French "brave" (=courageux) pretty much corresponds to English "brave" (=courageous) it doesn't correspond to German "brav" (=well-behaved) at all. And translating "air de tristesse" als "trauriges Aussehen" instead of "traurige/niedergeschlagene Stimmung [an Bord] etc." clearly shows that Pannwitz wasn't that good at selecting idiomatic German expressions. He also completely omitted "pour moi surtout" in German, which has been added in the Aufbau edition, which also removed some text added by Pannwitz that wasn't in the French original.

Since the unabbreviated edition is quite large I wouldn't recommend to align this book anyway.

Edited by Doitsujin on 25 October 2013 at 11:08pm

manjina
Yugoslavia
Joined 5354 days ago

3 posts - 3 votes
Studies: English

Message 7 of 10
25 October 2013 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
Thank you for your replays and recommendations.To bad , i really like Count of Monte Cristo. Aglona project looks really good, they have some nice de-en books for reading.
Can you tell me where can i find more de-en books?
I will had to learn how to make my own book , that is for sure.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4649 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 8 of 10
25 October 2013 at 10:52pm | IP Logged 
I can see some on amazon.co.uk, and there seems to be a better choice on amazon.de, in kindle form.

But as you probably know, there are restrictions on what amazon allows you to buy across country borders, for Kindle books, so I
don't know whether or not you would be able to obtain those without problems.

some short stories and poems here

The stories aren't laid out in parallel form, but you could do that yourself (e.g. in a MS Word table or spreadsheet.

....oh, here's an interesting find: Clearly an HTLAL member, but who...?

http://booh.com/blog/bilingual-text-2012

(slow download though).

someone else
inspired by HTLAL

Contained a link to this: http://www.twinreads.com/index.html

(no Eng-Ger, but some HTLALers might find it interesting)

vid by Moses abt parallel texts

....etc. Well, you can use google as well as I can.

But getting back to the Count of Monte Cristo, your problem is obviously that there is no good German translation, so you may have
to make do with enjoying that good English translation mentioned above, and maybe learn to read the French one day (or maybe you
have).

If you like classic books and want to read them in German, may I gently try to steer you towards original German classic authors?

How about Theodor Fontane? e.g. "Effi Briest". The German text is on PG. The English version there is incomplete, but there is a
well-regarded translation by Hugh Rorrison and Helen Chambers, in Angel Classics and I think also in Penguin.

Another one is "Irrungen, Wirrungen", which is available in several translations in various titles e.g. "Entanglements", or "On
Tangled Paths" (that one translated by Peter James Bowman, also Angel Classics, 2010).

If there is no e-book version, you may be forced to scan or photograph printed versions of books. FreeOCR is good in this context.

I haven't looked lately, but last time I did, there were some German texts available on the MobileRead ebook-reader forum. I don't
know about parallel texts though.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 10 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version