Tags: Brain
 Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
22 messages over 3 pages: 1 2
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4071 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 17 of 22
29 October 2013 at 10:13pm | IP Logged 
That is not so accurate--I am right-handed, but I eat with my left hand, including spoon
for soup. I also used to bat in cricket left-handed and bowl left-arm orthodox, despite
being right-handed (although I suppose that does not matter since I never play sports
anymore).
1 person has voted this message useful

cacue23
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4080 days ago

89 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: Shanghainese, Mandarin*, English
Studies: Cantonese

Message 18 of 22
30 October 2013 at 6:34am | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
That is not so accurate--I am right-handed, but I eat with my left hand, including spoon
for soup. I also used to bat in cricket left-handed and bowl left-arm orthodox, despite
being right-handed (although I suppose that does not matter since I never play sports
anymore).

I guess generally speaking the hand you use to eat is your "major" hand. But of course there are other varieties.

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6690 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 19 of 22
30 October 2013 at 7:45am | IP Logged 
In Sweden it's common to use the fork with the left hand (and correspondingly, you're supposed to use the knife with the right hand). Doing anything else is regarded odd. I don't know why. The majority are right-handed, so why it's "wrong" to prefer the major hand for "precision work" is beyond my comprehension.

On the other hand (!), I'm semi-ambidextrous and can do pretty much anything with either (though not simultaneously).

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4790 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 20 of 22
30 October 2013 at 8:55am | IP Logged 
Well, many people have their exceptions, when their "minor" hand takes the main part.
And there are more such things, even though they get much less attention. During dance
lessons, I found something my instructor had said to be very true. Some people, no
matter which hand they prefer, have easier time learning to spin to the right and
others to the left. And I found a few more such curiosities.

And you can surely relearn something with your other hand, even though being forced to
it by teachers must be a horrible experience. I had to learn a few things that way due
to health issues concerning my wrists (when it comes to some daily activities, I often
need to switch hands in the middle, unless I can leave the work to someone else). I
found I am able to learn to do a lot of things with my left hand (peel the potatoes is
just one of the exemples). But it takes some training, it takes me longer than with my
right hand and sometimes the result is not as good as with the right hand (I can make a
few notes with my left hand but the writing is ugly and it takes longer. I once wrote
an essay at school like that when my right hand was in bandages. Well, I should have
chosen the path most choose: they refuse the writen assignment due to their injury.)
Really, how could anyone force children to this?

A great thing is, that being left-handed is often seen as cool nowadays. Sure, the
specific tools (like scissors or pens) are a bit more expensive than the "normal" ones
but it is no tragedy any longer. And every now and than, there is a new article in the
media speaking of the left-handed right-hemisphered people as the more creative,
artistic etc. ones. It's a great thing, in my opinion. (but of course, when a child has
the same preference for both hands, the parents usually choose the right hand as many
tools are still mostly meant for the majority).

Speaking in a foreign language in such a moment, that is a great sign when it comes to
your languages :-)
2 persons have voted this message useful

pesahson
Diglot
Poland
Joined 5509 days ago

448 posts - 840 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, English
Studies: French, Portuguese, Norwegian

Message 21 of 22
30 October 2013 at 11:44am | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
In Sweden it's common to use the fork with the left hand (and correspondingly, you're supposed to use the knife with the right hand). Doing anything else is regarded odd. I don't know why. The majority are right-handed, so why it's "wrong" to prefer the major hand for "precision work" is beyond my comprehension.

On the other hand (!), I'm semi-ambidextrous and can do pretty much anything with either (though not simultaneously).

Isn't it common across Europe? When using fork and knife, fork is in your left and knife in your right hand, as opposed to the USA where I've heard it's the opposite. But when using only the fork or spoon I use my right hand.

cacue23
Triglot
Groupie
Canada
Joined 4080 days ago

89 posts - 122 votes 
Speaks: Shanghainese, Mandarin*, English
Studies: Cantonese

Message 22 of 22
31 October 2013 at 8:57pm | IP Logged 
pesahson wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:

Isn't it common across Europe? When using fork and knife, fork is in your left and knife in your right hand, as opposed to the USA where I've heard it's the opposite. But when using only the fork or spoon I use my right hand.

When I talk about "the hand you use to eat", I mean the hand that holds the chopsticks. Being a right-handed person I'm used to holding fork in my left hand and knife in my right hand. This, I heard, should be the typical right-handed way of doing things.

By the way, I really wished I was ambidextrous, so that when my elimentary school teacher penalized me with copying long texts in the textbook and my right hand got so sore that it couldn't even move, I could just switch hands.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 22 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version