Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 9 of 39
28 October 2013 at 5:14pm | IP Logged 
I used to hate English because of its grammar. Now I like the language but still do not have any good feelings to grammar.
And, to be honest, the last of European languages I would've chosen to learn, was German. Before I made a final decision, I was running between Polish, Finnish, French, maybe even Spanish while I was listening to Shakira. In that time German was for me the language of Nazis, very tough and complicated, not to mention its dialects!
Well, I was just a little stupid kid. Anyway, now I have no desire to study all languages, listed above, but German. A little bit weird? Maybe. But now I like the language, that little part of grammar which I know seems strict and logical and I like all that.
3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4615 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 10 of 39
28 October 2013 at 6:35pm | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
montmorency wrote:
Good for you :-)
And if Breton is characteristic of the Celtic language(s) that were spoken in at least
part of Roman Gaul, (or partially spoken in Roman Gaul), then it's important to keep
alive that link with European history at a very formative stage.

And when you've got Breton under your belt, you might think about Cornish, and, er,
Welsh. :-)

Unfortunately, there is probably very little Gaulish in Breton since it came over from
Britain at a time when it's uncertain that there were any Gaulish speakers left. Breton
is more King Arthur and less Vercignetorix. :)

I definitely wouldn't mind getting closer to Breton's close cousin Kembraeg (Cymraeg)!
Cornish is definitely interesting, and wanting to save the language is a worthwhile
cause, though I'm not sure if it's a worthwhile project for me personally. I try to
stick with languages I have a practical use for. :) I live in Brittany and my
neighbours speak Breton, but I'm not sure I could find a Cornish speaker to talk to
even if I started taking annual holidays across the channel, alas!

Wow, it's fantastic that you have some Breton speakers to talk to!

And it's true that there certainly won't be any Cornish first-language speakers around,
unless one is in touch with the spirit world. We can hope that the revivalists have
success. I've listened to part of the fledgling "Say Something in Cornish" course, and
it's funny to hear what amounts to Welsh in a rich Cornish accent!

OTOH, I've heard part of Assimil's Breton course, and the only thing I could recognise
was the strong French accent! :-)

Ah well, Cymru (and Cornwall and Brittany) am byth! ("for ever")

Edited by montmorency on 28 October 2013 at 6:37pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4796 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 11 of 39
29 October 2013 at 10:07am | IP Logged 
I hated English and German for years. Two ugliest languages in the world until some
point.

1.English-my feelings started to neutralize as I started playing computer games. Years
later (and already on a very good level), I found out it isn't that ugly.

2.German got me differently. I heard several people who spoke it nicely. And travelling
to Germany or Austria is so much cheaper than to further destinations.
3 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3886 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 12 of 39
29 October 2013 at 10:44am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
And it's true that there certainly won't be any Cornish first-language speakers around, unless one is in touch with the spirit world. We can hope that the revivalists have success.

I read recently that they are picking up the immersion strategy that is so popular here in Brittany (and which Bretons stole from the Basques), so there are in fact kindergarteners today going about their entire day in Cornish. :)

montmorency wrote:
OTOH, I've heard part of Assimil's Breton course, and the only thing I could recognise was the strong French accent! :-)

Not sure what you mean with a strong French accent, since the current Assimil course doesn't sound particularly French to me at all. I suppose there are some common sounds between Welsh and Breton that don't exist in English or French, and by comparison the rest of the sounds in Welsh can sound very English to a Breton speaker and I suppose Breton can sound very French to the Welsh speaker.

Of course if you're used to Bretons speaking French there's not necessarily much difference. ;) Sometimes when I'm not listening, I can't tell if my neighbours are speaking French or Breton because their French is so Breton. :D It took me 6 months to learn how to listen to decode what they were saying to me because the sounds and the stress were so off, not to mention various celticisms and pronouncing letters that are silent in French.

montmorency wrote:
Ah well, Cymru (and Cornwall and Brittany) am byth! ("for ever")

Breizh (ha Kernev-Veur ha Kembre) atav! :D
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 13 of 39
29 October 2013 at 10:49am | IP Logged 
Do they do the mutations as well in French? I read that Brittophone French speakers say
ma vère for ma mère.

Breton does sound a bit French to me, but that is probably because many people on the
Assimil recordings use the French "r" (and not a rolled r.)

Edited by tarvos on 29 October 2013 at 10:50am

dmaddock1
United States
Joined 5220 days ago

174 posts - 426 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Italian, Esperanto, Latin, Ancient Greek

Message 14 of 39
29 October 2013 at 2:09pm | IP Logged 
I disliked Spanish because it was forced on me in high school and because of the negative stigmas it has in the US. The past couple of months it is growing on me as I study it, but honestly I still feel myself resisting it for these reasons even though I know intellectually that these aren't good reasons to dislike it.

I went to the bookstore with the intent to stock up on Spanish content with a more intellectual mindset--newspapers, history books, popular science books, etc.--thinking that having this stuff in front of me would help re-train my brain to see Spanish as the medium of high culture and learning that is obviously is. Unfortunately that plan backfired as the only stuff in Spanish you can buy at the dozen bookstores in my area are pulp novels, religious stuff, and pseudo-scientific garbage like The Secret.

So, I decided to use European pronunciation and materials and lean heavily on my Latin knowledge to try to distance myself from these irrational feelings. This approach seems to have helped.
4 persons have voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3886 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 15 of 39
29 October 2013 at 2:15pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Do they do the mutations as well in French? I read that Brittophone French speakers say ma vère for ma mère.

I haven't noticed that personally, but that's not to say that it doesn't happen.

tarvos wrote:
Breton does sound a bit French to me, but that is probably because many people on the Assimil recordings use the French "r" (and not a rolled r.)

That's a slightly odd thing to base the whole "they sound French" on since R is pronounced differently in different parts of Brittany and by different speakers. There's a rolling R that's high in the throat, a rolling R that's low in the throat, there's a non-rolling R... Here's an example of the dialect local to me, in Haute-Cornouaille, by a speaker born ca 1900. Cf. the rolling R of Denez Prigent, born in Léon in the 1960s.

morinkhuur
Triglot
Groupie
Germany
Joined 4464 days ago

79 posts - 157 votes 
Speaks: German*, Latin, English
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian), Arabic (Maghribi)

Message 16 of 39
29 October 2013 at 3:21pm | IP Logged 
I used to dislike French for several reasons. First of all, given the choice between Latin and French in school, I
chose Latin and all the other kids were trying to justify their choice by putting the other language down (e.g. by
saying clichéd and idiotic things like "Latin is dead" or "French sounds gay") so I sort of went along with that.

Later, when I got older I still thought French was rather boring and I still think so to some extent, my interest
being mostly directed at "exotic", non-European languages, but then I became more and more interested in
French colonial history, former French Africa and the Maghreb states. I started to realize that French was really
not only a "boring European language" but also one that is used in countries like Senegal, Congo, Algeria or Haiti.
I also became interested in the multicultural society of France and its conflicts as well as the rich frankophone
intellectual tradition.

I was intrigued by the fact that it used to be normal for European intellectuals to speak French and in some old
academic books that I looked through, there were actually quotes and essays in French that were left completely
untranslated because it was simply assumed that the reader would be able to understand French.

In the end all of this could not convince to really study French though. I like to pick up bits and pieces here and
there and sometimes I read French texts and look up grammatical constructions I don't understand but even
though i would like to speak French, it's not my first priority.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 39 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version