United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4395 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 1 of 14
28 October 2013 at 5:27pm | IP Logged 
I was sitting here, planning my daily language routine after I had it disrupted for the last couple of months due to certain circumstances that had taken place in my life. Therefore I'm now ready to finally resume studying, so I'll be glad to see how are you planing and managing your daily dose of foreign languages. :)
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 2 of 14
28 October 2013 at 7:35pm | IP Logged 
Glad to see you! Weren't you learning Danish?

My approach is basically All Foreign Languages, All The Time. Specific languages can vary depending on what's relevant right now and/or what challenges I'm doing, but I normally aim to have as little Russian and English in my life as possible.

For example unless they're somehow exceptional I don't add unfamiliar people on facebook if they don't speak a language I'm interested in.

Edited by Serpent on 28 October 2013 at 7:36pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4395 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 3 of 14
28 October 2013 at 9:50pm | IP Logged 
Hi, glad to see you too. I was indeed studying Danish, but my plans changed as I had to move to another country, and where I am Norwegian will be much more useful to me right now due to its business links and proximity to the city I am living in.

Apart from that back in the day before I started off with Danish, I already knew some Norwegian and I couldn't help myself not loving the pronunciation. Anyway it's not much of a hassle changing between these two, especially when bearing in mind that I'm studying BokmÄl and so far the transition has been more than swift. I decided to change it here on HTLAL because I'm not actively studying Danish now, just teasing myself by reading news, the occasional movies and listening to songs and so on.

Right now I spent almost my entire studying time surrounding myself with Russian and to a lesser amount Norwegian (due to overexposure to Norwegian for some time this year :D ), though I don't feel bad about it, knowing how much I love Russian. This summer I was also planning on undertaking Finnish though right now it will be too much of an overkill for my tiny brain I believe. :D

And I must say I quite like your facebook logic, and considering that mine is quite boring sadly. That aside it's beyond admirable all these languages that you manage. I mean I could only dream on reaching C1 in Finnish.

Edited by Einarr on 28 October 2013 at 9:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3926 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 4 of 14
28 October 2013 at 10:34pm | IP Logged 
I try to do five things every day:

read something
listen to something
write something (which usually ends up being grammar work, at least at this point)
talk to someone (every day when I'm not working, at least 3 times a week when I am)
practice vocabulary (anki decks)

I don't structure it any more than that. Most days I end up working on Spanish for about 2 to 2.5 hours (more
on days off), but it's spread throughout the day and much of it doesn't feel like "work".

In addition to those five categories, I also do FSI drills while walking.

Edited by Stelle on 28 October 2013 at 10:35pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 14
29 October 2013 at 10:09am | IP Logged 
I don't plan, but just follow some simplest rules and react on things which come by themselves or as planned by myself.

To some extent my activities are distributed according to where I sit.

When I sit down in my armchair I have a pile of dictionaries for my weaker languages withtin reach, and I have a notestand with more or less the same languages represented: Greek, Russian, Indonesian, Irish etc., and I try to do something in each of this languages every day. My better languages (basically the Romance and Germanic ones) are relatively well represented on my TV so I regularly watch TV in for instance German, Spanish, French and Italian - but unfortunately not in Dutch or Catalan, not to speak of Russian, Greek etc. where I have to rely on the internet. Sometimes I also read stuff from my collection of magazines in different languages while I'm in my armchair, and it is also there I study grammar - not at my computer.

At my computer I spend a lot of time surfing, but mostly in languages where I can read ordinary non fiction - and because we don't speak about active skills this includes Russian, Greek and a host of smaller languages - but not yet Irish. I ought to listen more, but my listening is strongly dependent on what sites I find with a steady supply of interesting stuff. For instance I regularly listen to Radio Verda in Esperanto, and I have also listened a lot to Radio sonder Grense in Arikaans lately. When AVRO Museum TV still was worth listening to I also got my Dutch from that source. But listening to random radio and TV stations is problematic if I don't have their schedules. And I hate advertising and musical interruptions ... which exclude most of the radio stations.

When I'm in the company of others it is basically hopeless to do any kind of efficient study, so there I just let the time pass and hope that it want last forever. And finally there is the transport situation, where I always carry a selection of study materials around with me. The presence of others is however a problem, but I mostly manage at least to read something during the trip.

On an ordinary evening in my armchair where I don't have other obligations I'll typically do wordlists in at least one language, retranslate/copy in one or two more and read some 'free' texts while listening to my TV or music from a computer or my stone age stereo set. At my computer I'll often get through half a dozen languages, but not in the same intensive way as when I'm sitting in the aforementioned sitting contraption.

And no, I don't count hours. Maybe words, but not hours. And I don't even know what I'll do later today.

Edited by Iversen on 29 October 2013 at 9:21pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6379 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 14
29 October 2013 at 4:53pm | IP Logged 
When it comes to public transport, I didn't want an e-reader but I'm immensely grateful to my dad for getting me one :) I can now switch between books/languages as I please without carrying a minilibrary with me.
1 person has voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5314 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 14
29 October 2013 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
I'm taking it easy these days. As a general rule of thumb, my daily minimum is:

1. Talk with my wife in French, and listen to her talk to the kids.
2. Read 15 new sentence cards in Anki, and review another ~40 cards that are due.
3. Try to do something else: Read, talk, write, watch some TV, whatever.

On a less regular basis, I do other things:

1. Get obsessed with French TV series and watch entire seasons.
2. Try to average 500 pages per month for the Super Challenge. When doing this, I like to use an ereader to mark interesting vocabulary, or a tool to capture it from the web.
3. Using the vocabulary marked in (2), occasionally spend a couple of hours doing dictionary work and making sentence cards in Anki. Done right, this is rather enjoyable.

Back when I was making more rapid progress, I would also write daily on lang-8, and have 3 challenging conversations with a tutor per week.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4948 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 8 of 14
29 October 2013 at 5:39pm | IP Logged 
I'm learning 4 languages (Mandarin, Georgian, Norwegian and Russian) and maintaining
other two (French and Papiamento).

My daily schedule can be found at the first post of
th is page, to sum it up,
I do mainly textbook activities in the morning then I deal with native materials in the
afternoon. Doing native materials after textbook stuff leaves me more relaxed as I
become aware that I'd have already studied something useful when I get down to just
watching and listening. This is especially relieving when I can't understand the
language yet, so, the fact I have studied Georgian from textbooks in the morning makes
me more comfortable about just watching a TV series in the afternoon even if I don't
understand much. I mean, if my study plan consisted only of blind listening (or deaf
watching, for that matter) I'd feel like I'd be wasting my time.

I try to follow a 'no gaps' approach. My schedule used to be much shorter, but as I
become more experienced with the languages and their textbooks I started employing less
and less time on them. Therefore I could add another task after my so-far final one.
Right now I want to get even more trained so that I can add a sequel of active writing
tasks. I want to make this paragraph-writing a regular activity, so that I can profit
from the fact that native speakers are quite likely to correct stuff for Georgian and
Norwegian at italki (as well as for Chinese, and French at lang-8).

Edited by Expugnator on 29 October 2013 at 6:54pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 14 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version