Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

Building SE Asian Courses - Right Track?

Tags: Study Plan
 Language Learning Forum : Learning Techniques, Methods & Strategies Post Reply
40 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4
snoonan
Triglot
United States
learningindones
Joined 6061 days ago

23 posts - 56 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Indonesian

Message 33 of 40
19 November 2013 at 3:10am | IP Logged 
Crush wrote:
I just wanted to thank Leo for their criticism and ideas and snoonan for their response. I'm really
looking forward to seeing how this course/these courses develop.

Seconded -- it is all well received. Wouldn't mind more, actually!

leosmith wrote:
Excellent post snoonan. I need to confess - I tried to be as harsh as possible, since you asked for
criticism, and only
got praise from most members. That's the sad thing about this forum now - there has been so much censorship it's
hard to solicit an honest opinion out of someone.

Thanks Leo, this kind of critique helps shoot holes in the weak parts of ideas and helps drive thinking to address
them. Thinking about answering your post firmed up some ideas and brought the reading dictionary tools up again
(something I had put aside for this first round). I would ask and appreciate more and even harsher criticism.

Better now than after we have built everything. :)

1 person has voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3954 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Spanish
Studies: Tagalog

Message 34 of 40
20 December 2013 at 11:40am | IP Logged 
How are the courses coming along? Any news for 2014?

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4719 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 35 of 40
20 December 2013 at 12:35pm | IP Logged 
snoonan wrote:

leosmith wrote:

snoonan wrote:

* Lots of interesting comprehensible input text passages and audio dialogs covering
learner-requested topics.
Maybe users submit and vote up what they want? Why would we come up with all the
topics when it is for them? This is likely where most of the effective learning
actually happens. Includes e-reader
format, PDF, dead trees, etc. for offline.

This is your biggest weakness, imo, but it is the area where you can be of the most
use. Rather than paralleI
texts,
which I think you are describing here, I much prefer mouse-over dictionaries, color
coding unknown words, and
keeping statistics like LingQ, LWT, etc do. In addition, I recommend creating enough
graded material for a
beginning reader to get all the way to native material with never having more that 10%
unknown words. If you
keep
statistics, this isn't as hard as it sounds.

Those are features we can definitely add. We have some great code already that scores
any given text against your SRS stats and knows what should be
comprehensible. This is an "automatic graded reader", so we're perhaps talking about
the same thing here.

This wouldn't help you choose texts as easily in the printed version, but perhaps we
can have some kind of adaptive index that says "ok, this list of passages
are probably comprehensible now according to your stats." and it would change as your
vocabulary grows. Again, we're not necessarily talking about different
things -- adaptive scoring of the comprehensive input material is something we'll be
able to do. I think this is better than graded readers. Fair? You're right that
it's not that hard, but we do need input into the model of what you know well, so hence
SRS. I'm calling it SRS, but the hit/miss stats are likely quite similar behind
the scenes to some of the other tools you mention. Did that miss the point?

When my son was learning to read, he had a lot of the Ladybird Key words reading
scheme. The first book starts with a total vocabulary of 16 words, and every 2nd book
adds 8 words (if I remember correctly). From that time onwards, I've always felt that
a set of readers for adults based on this principle would be ideal for language
learners (but with a larger starting vocab, and more than 8 words added with each new
story). I agree with Leo that if you keep statistics, this would be simple to do,
although it would be very time-consuming and would require a lot of creativity to keep
the stories interesting and varied.

What you are proposing just changed the whole concept for me, in a good way. You have
a set of electronic short stories, the software compares the vocab in the stories to
the vocab in your SRS, and tells you how much unknown vocab there would be. Brilliant!
Add a feature to automatically generate a list of unknown words, or put them next in
your SRS queue, and it would be even better.

Of course this wouldn't judge how difficult it is to read in terms of grammar and
idiomatic language. But it would still be very useful.

snoonan
Triglot
United States
learningindones
Joined 6061 days ago

23 posts - 56 votes 

Message 36 of 40
20 December 2013 at 2:26pm | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
How are the courses coming along? Any news for 2014?

I should probably put together some running commentary about the process. I just got back from a month in
Jakarta where I continued work on the main track, SRS coding and stress tested some of the in-country processes
for getting quality voice work and recording. That last part was most important because we can't drop thousands
of dollars on sessions that are worthless.

As of now, we have a working outline of the main track and have native speakers working through it for Indonesian
for just over a month. Writing dialogs and passages -- the first work was poor and boring and we trashed most of
it, but it's coming along! We interviewed Indonesian voice contributors and have a good mix. All of this is our test
case and process for Tagalog and Malaysian by the spring. You can probably expect lesson material in those
languages coming out by late spring.

We made some adjustments to how we're writing as well. just started speaking with a few short story fiction
authors to adapt and rewrite their work. We started this just yesterday as we had little confidence we'd get
capital "I" Interesting writing on our own or with our course writers. It may be a tangent that goes nowhere, but
it's worth exploring, I think.

So, long story short, Q1 is when Indonesian material should start coming out. Q2 should see the beginnings of
Tagalog and Malaysian. We won't have mobile apps until probably July or even later. We hope to start with a rough
beta of the SRS (web based, including adaptive audio SRS lessons) probably around maybe April give or take. So,
that's where we are now and where we hope to be in the foreseeable future. Please don't get attached to any of
these promises slip or change-- sometimes we just have to throw something out and start over if it doesn't work. :)

Jeffers wrote:
snoonan wrote:

... This wouldn't help you choose texts as easily in the printed version, but perhaps we
can have some kind of adaptive index that says "ok, this list of passages
are probably comprehensible now according to your stats." and it would change as your
vocabulary grows. Again, we're not necessarily talking about different
things -- adaptive scoring of the comprehensive input material is something we'll be
able to do.

When my son was learning to read, he had a lot of the Ladybird Key words reading
scheme. The first book starts with a total vocabulary of 16 words, and every 2nd book
adds 8 words (if I remember correctly). From that time onwards, I've always felt that
a set of readers for adults based on this principle would be ideal for language
learners (but with a larger starting vocab, and more than 8 words added with each new
story). I agree with Leo that if you keep statistics, this would be simple to do,
although it would be very time-consuming and would require a lot of creativity to keep
the stories interesting and varied.

What you are proposing just changed the whole concept for me, in a good way. You have
a set of electronic short stories, the software compares the vocab in the stories to
the vocab in your SRS, and tells you how much unknown vocab there would be. Brilliant!
Add a feature to automatically generate a list of unknown words, or put them next in
your SRS queue, and it would be even better.

Of course this wouldn't judge how difficult it is to read in terms of grammar and
idiomatic language. But it would still be very useful.

Yes, yes, yes! This is exactly what we are going for. Every word you read or listen to in a passage gets a touch in
your SRS, so they are "added" in that they're bumped into the SRS schedule once you're exposed. That bump may
be a light bump if the word isn't very common... That point is new since last month -- the SRS schedule is relative
to the word frequency from a massive corpus of real language, so more common words are given priority in the
SRS schedule.

Second new point, it's not just words, but bigrams and hopefully trigrams & 4-grams if we have the processing
power and space to make it work - This means that we can get a (somewhat naive) signal on grammar and usage
by knowing how words usually collocate together. Those touch your SRS database too, but I don't know if they will
be exposed for interactive study. They will definitely inform scoring of passages, though. So if you have seen
idiomatic stuff like "on the other hand" and "hands down" and "hand me that" a few times, that gets picked up in
your SRS too. Or at least I hope it will since these databases with 3 & 4 words are getting very large in testing.
That may have to come later, but I can say we can still do bigrams at the least.

So, to put it together, if you want to read or listen to a text that has the phrase "he jumped up and down" in it, the
SRS is doing a lot of things in the background. "he, jumped, up, and, down" is trivial -- you know those words or
not? With bigrams, you get 'he jumped' and 'jumped up', which contain implicit grammar and idiomatic usage.
trigrams? 'he jumped up', 'up and down'. Getting more idiomatic, natural! 4-grams 'jumped up and down'. So if
you are scoring all of that, you are getting a lot of statistical data to score grammar and idiomatic stuff. Not perfect,
but still a lot smarter than just words and phrases.

Anyway, thanks for recognizing some of the nuance w/ grammar and idiomatic stuff. It means we are solving next
problems too, which gets me really excited about getting all of this out there.

Edited by snoonan on 20 December 2013 at 2:29pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3954 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 37 of 40
22 December 2013 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
Thanks for the update! Your approach to SRS sounds *very* interesting!

Stelle
Bilingual Triglot
Canada
tobefluent.com
Joined 3954 days ago

949 posts - 1686 votes 

Message 38 of 40
02 May 2014 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
Any news on the programs? Now that it's May, I'm jumping into Tagalog. I'd love another resource, and am thinking
about filipinopod101, but I think that your approach - at least the way that you described it - would work better for
me.

snoonan
Triglot
United States
learningindones
Joined 6061 days ago

23 posts - 56 votes 

Message 39 of 40
03 May 2014 at 1:58am | IP Logged 
Stelle wrote:
Any news on the programs? Now that it's May, I'm jumping into Tagalog. I'd love another resource, and am thinking
about filipinopod101, but I think that your approach - at least the way that you described it - would work better for
me.

I'd definitely say go for whatever you can find out there now. No reason to delay learning!

Unfortunately we're still in development and behind the original forecasting on the writing side by months. We've gone through 3
writers which we, of course, didn't plan for. :) I won't go into it, but it's been a challenge keeping writers who consistently deliver
on a schedule. Our current writer is doing the work of 2 in half the time and she's been doing great. She's local and we've been
keeping it on track with regular in-person meetings which has made a huge difference. But yes, the courses lag behind and depend
on this material. I'll post again when we have a clear idea as to when we'll have a course to test. I don't think anyone's actually
good at the forecasting game for creative works or software! We'll do what we can though. It's just that we want to have a properly
planned and large collection of media to go along with it and we'll keep investing in it until it's good enough to release as a course.
Beta here first!

One thing that has come up... We're adding a feature and it would be cool to get some thoughts on it. It's designed for
intermediate and grow forever with reading skill. A tracking bar with a "study" button. It crawls an L2 page you're reading on
demand and scores its readability against your SRS stats, then gives you a word list that you can add to your SRS list. If you do
read it and finish, you can rate your understanding and it will impact your SRS. We think it's a nice feature that will bring the
reading out of our controlled media and into whatever you prefer to read in L2 online. For example, you could come across a
blog post or a wikipedia article in L2 and your SRS would be chugging away behind the scenes, doing its job to let you know
how readable it is and what terms you specifically don't know in order to read it.

Anyway, that will be in the web reading section and most useful after finishing the main track.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Crush
Tetraglot
ChinaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5675 days ago

1622 posts - 2299 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Mandarin, Esperanto
Studies: Basque

Message 40 of 40
07 May 2014 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
It's great to hear some news, i've been anxiously waiting to hear something for months (since the last "newsletter"). The web reading bit sounds kinda like Lingocracy's (and i suppose a few other programs') article crawling feature, where you put in a URL and it crawls the page for the article/text then shows you the words you know colored by how well you know them. I think it's a nice feature, it can just be difficult to accurate pull text from every web page, as you often pull extra junk that you don't really need.

As i have zero knowledge of any of the languages you have planned for the immediate future, i'm definitely more interested in the audio courses/other beginner material, but it's neat to see where you see it going as you move out of the beginner and intermediate stages.

I'm excited and definitely willing to invest in the course :)

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version