40 messages over 5 pages: 1 2 3 4 5  Next >>
ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7017 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 1 of 40
30 October 2013 at 5:58am | IP Logged 
We have a 2 year Biblical Greek program that most people fail out of and often never
try again. Right now we are at the end of the 1st year. We have gone through a
beginning/intermediate grammar so far, and had the "big test" a few weeks ago.

We now have 2 students who passed well, 2 who failed, and 2 who are borderline.

We are letting them all continue because we want to try a different approach. We have a
Greek New Testament with all the uncommon vocabulary listed at the bottom of the page,
and all the common words in the back (this is about 400 words in the back).

We will be reading through parts of this over time, still doing bit of translating as
an exercise over the week, and vocabulary from here on out will be handled by the
Goldlist method. We will only check to see if they did them. This week they will list
all those common words that they did not know, a longer task for some than others, but
easily done inside of a week. Our pace is 2 lists every weekday.

Will a kinder, gentler Greek program work? Let's find out.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4888 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 2 of 40
30 October 2013 at 7:50am | IP Logged 
I'm optimistic and look forward to see how this works out. I'll definitely be following the updates here.
2 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4607 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 3 of 40
30 October 2013 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
Might be worth letting David know your plans via his blog (if you haven't already). I'm
sure he'd be sympathetic to your aims.
1 person has voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7017 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 4 of 40
05 November 2013 at 6:30am | IP Logged 
Well this is the first week in, and I created a survey to make sure everything was
going according to plan. One of the questions was "do you feel forced to do these
lists?"

I was expecting everyone to say yes to that, because it's a requirement, but only one
person said yes. This was the A student and we gave that person the option (not a joke)
of just doing what they did before because it's already working well. They said they
will go ahead and try the lists.

No one said that they felt stressed out about Greek this week (a first), but there is a
translation of 1st John chapter 1 due next Monday... we will see what happens... some
have already finished.

I asked if anyone looked back at earlier lists, 3 said yes (the "better" students) and
we expressed again the importance of NOT doing that. It's still good because we won't
start distillations for another 3 weeks.

I'll also add that only 1 of these students has elected to say the words out loud.

Edited by ElComadreja on 06 November 2013 at 7:25am

5 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7017 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 5 of 40
18 November 2013 at 5:59am | IP Logged 
Well, I decided to show one of the borderline students how to distill, so that they can
see the point of all this. This person hasn't taken the system on "faith" yet. They
only had one list that was ready, so we did that one. Immediately they picked about 4
that they absolutely knew, mainly because it's been in our recent translations in every
other sentence. "I don't know any more." the student said sadly.

Then I told them to continue choosing 4 more no so much that you "know" but that you
know *better* than the other ones. "If tomorrow I gave you a million dollars if you
knew 8 of these words, which ones would you pick?" When the student re-listed they
noticed several words and said "Why didn't I pick THAT one?"

Anywho, it worked for them the same way it did for me... and this person has to take
medication which causes memory problems.

Edited by ElComadreja on 18 November 2013 at 6:03am

4 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7017 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 6 of 40
20 November 2013 at 10:01am | IP Logged 
round 2... same student. They came to me and said that they didn't know any of the words
on the next list. To which I asked, "When did I ever ask you to find the words you know?,
pick the ones that you know better". The student then proceed to choose little by little,
and then got stuck after, you guessed it, 8 words were chosen. They seemed flustered
afterwards though.
3 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7017 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 7 of 40
29 November 2013 at 2:14pm | IP Logged 
3 more students started distillations today. For some reason the idea of distillation
is
a hard thing to grasp at first. Never in my explanations of what to do do I use the
words
"memorize" or "forget". Instead I say make a decision on what words are easier and what
words are harder... find 8 word that are easier and copy over the harder words. Somehow
the first question is always "so I find the words that I remember?"

We tried it this way... we first say find the word that you absolutely know... there
may
be none... ok now that you're done with that... find the remaining word that you know
better than the others.

No one said they felt stressed doing this.

I'll add that one of the "failing" students on the day that we did this asked "what
happens if I find more that 8 words?" I looked over and that student had chosen 10
words from some of the first lists. They were found quite quickly.

Edited by ElComadreja on 02 December 2013 at 6:08am

2 persons have voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7017 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds

Message 8 of 40
11 December 2013 at 5:49am | IP Logged 
Well the Greek class is over for the year. I find it hard to measure progress :-/ The
only indicator that I have is that everyone has been turning in their translations on
time (with coaching), and as a group, they are translating well. The teacher puts some
verses up on the screen and the work through it.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: 2 3 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version