Diglot
United States
Joined 6985 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 9 of 40
11 December 2013 at 8:30am | IP Logged 
Can you tell us more about how the students came to the class? Is it part of a curriculum? Are they seeking personal development as in an Adult Education situation? Do you find any corelation between the student's motivation for being in the class and their progress? Are the students who do better less resistant to the material studied?
2 persons have voted this message useful

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4648 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 10 of 40
11 December 2013 at 10:45am | IP Logged 
This is a really interesting experiment! Please let us know how it goes and how the students fair in the next examination!
1 person has voted this message useful

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7018 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 11 of 40
12 December 2013 at 6:49am | IP Logged 
These students are taking this class for purely religious reasons, and grow up with 3
languages (though none of them are highly inflected, and word order seems to be the big
problem grammatically to understanding what they are reading). They have completed the
translation of 1st John. I asked one of the
borderline students if the Greek was any easier and the said "It's easy to read 1st John
now."

Edited by ElComadreja on 12 December 2013 at 6:59am

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6985 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 12 of 40
12 December 2013 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
ElComadreja wrote:
These students are taking this class for purely religious reasons, and grow up with 3 languages (though none of them are highly inflected, and word order seems to be the big problem grammatically to understanding what they are reading). They have completed the translation of 1st John. I asked one of the
borderline students if the Greek was any easier and the said "It's easy to read 1st John now."

Very cool. It's great to see you're still around and active in the forum.

ElComadreja
Philippines
bibletranslatio
Joined 7018 days ago

683 posts - 757 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Latin, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Cebuano, French, Tagalog

Message 13 of 40
02 January 2014 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Well, I've checked around to see what the students have done over the holidays, and the
answer is a depressing, "not much". One has opted to start listing some of the grammar
points that they keep getting confused. The others pretty much just pull the Greek
bible
out when it's time for Church (and I'm not really sure how well that goes). Although I
guess that, theoretically, their vocabulary comprehension should not go any further
backwards.

It was at this point with our last batch of students that 1/3 crashed and burned
because
they forgot too much over the holidays.

edit: oh and all the vocab is headlisted now, I think we went down to 5 occurrences.

Edited by ElComadreja on 02 January 2014 at 4:36pm

druckfehler
Triglot
Germany
Joined 4648 days ago

1181 posts - 1912 votes 
Speaks: German*, EnglishC2, Korean
Studies: Persian

Message 14 of 40
04 January 2014 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
Hang in there! At least Huliganov says that the length of the dormant period of a list doesn't matter much as long as it's over 2 weeks. So the holidays theoretically shouldn't have done your project much harm.

vermillon
Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4458 days ago

602 posts - 1042 votes 
Speaks: French*, EnglishC2, Mandarin
Studies: Japanese, German

Message 15 of 40
04 January 2014 at 9:05pm | IP Logged 
I'll probably post about it more in details in a few months, but I'll further druckfehler on this: I always have at least 14 days between distillations, but it's quite common that I go up to 3 or 4 weeks (mostly due to mismanagement), and the stats until now don't seem to indicate any degradation of memory.

I may experiment with that period and see if there is a statistically significant impact. The longer the span of time between distillations, the more confident you can be that what's been retained actually has been retained.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Victor Berrjod
Diglot
Groupie
Norway
no.vvb.no/
Joined 4889 days ago

62 posts - 110 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English
Studies: Japanese, Korean, Ancient Greek, Biblical Hebrew, Mandarin, Cantonese

Message 16 of 40
05 January 2014 at 1:16pm | IP Logged 
I agree with vermillion. For the last two years, I've often waited a month or more before distilling; no problem at all. I've even tried picking up a list after one year, and I was able to distil it normally (that list, as it happens, was actually Ancient Greek!). Usually I go that long because I just keep adding to the headlist without distilling the ones I've already added, until I reach my target headlist length. At that point, I go back and do the first distillation from start to finish. Then, I do the second distillation from start to finish, and so on. I tend to start distilling earlier if I'm temporarily unable to add to the headlist, like if I left the book at home, but brought my goldlist. Because of this, the first half or so of my bronze book is usually far ahead of the rest.

For the next project, I'll try going with batches of 5000 instead of the large amounts I've done lately. Last year I did a Chinese character list with 8150 headlist lines in the manner described above, and currently I'm nearing the end of a 6000-line Korean project. I find that, using my books that contain 100 sheets, If I do more than two books for the headlist, I remain motivated through D1 of the first book, but lose motivation for the second book, because I know that when I reach the end, I'll simply have another book waiting for me. It was even worse when I had more than three. So I want to keep it down to two books at a time next time, so that I can know when I finish book 1 that I'm halfway there. :)

If it works out well with 5000-line batches, I can do that three times to get to a vocabulary of 15000, which is Huliganov's definition of fluency. I need more or less six months to finish a 5000-line project, judging by my current 6000-line one. That means that I should be able to reach 15000 in 1.5 years, which is not bad at all!

This discussion contains 40 messages over 5 pages: << Prev 13 4 5  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version