Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5910 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 20
01 November 2013 at 11:26am | IP Logged 

What are the biggest language decisions you feel you have to make at the moment ? Is it studying a new language, dropping a language, changing your current methodology or simply where to spend you language budget ? At present, I’m trying to decide whether to go broad and study a large number of languages next year, or go deep, and focus intently on just a couple or even one. By the way, I’m not looking for advice to my question. but I am curious what other learners are trying to decide themselves.

1 person has voted this message useful

KSAKSA
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4904 days ago

65 posts - 99 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Arabic (Gulf)

Message 2 of 20
01 November 2013 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
I'm dreaming/thinking of going to study here: http://www.omancenter.org/

You know what's putting me off? A lot of the students look like university students. I feel there is a big age gap between me and them and I'd feel out of place and would make them feel like they are getting stuck in a class with an oldie :)

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6356 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 20
01 November 2013 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
Right now I'm balancing between my challenges and current own desires. I've already accepted that I won't complete most of the reading challenges... in fact in the remaining two months of the year I can complete two at most. Polish where I'm at 43/50 and Italian where I'm at 31/50. I have a lot of stuff to finish reading in Italian, but a few things in Portuguese are also really important. And I don't want to neglect German and Croatian, especially the latter.

I've also bought a lot of books for the super challenge, but my perpetual question is "what to read and in what language?" :))) things like, shall i buy this now or shall i wait for a discount? what if this book goes out of print while i'm pondering?

More generally, I'm thinking of when and how to learn Swedish. And what to do with languages that are currently useless to me but that I'm attached to, such as Belarusian, Karelian, Indonesian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 20
01 November 2013 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
I tend to decide and think later, I can always renounce on my decisions because it's
not like someone puts up forbidden signs all the way you go. So if I want to do
something I do that and then no one will stop me and if after six months I think "this
is fine for now" then I go do something else.

I might just play guitar for five months and forget about everything else. Things work
themselves out anyways. I just prioritise one target per time, complete that one, next
one. In this way I can have projects of a couple months so I never get sick of seeing
one language forever and always.

And in my better languages I just do things to maintain them. I just finished an e-mail
in Romanian.

fabriciocarraro
Hexaglot
Winner TAC 2012
Brazil
russoparabrasileirosRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4474 days ago

989 posts - 1454 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, EnglishB2, Italian, Spanish, Russian, French
Studies: Dutch, German, Japanese

Message 5 of 20
01 November 2013 at 1:56pm | IP Logged 
I've just decided to drop Egyptian Arabic, and it was not an easy decision, since we're in the middle of the #Add1Challenge and I was taking it with Arabic, and really studying it a lot.
Right now I'm going to focus on French and Dutch until January, and then, I want to start tackling German.
2 persons have voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4395 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 6 of 20
01 November 2013 at 2:31pm | IP Logged 
I've dropped German, and thinking about keeping my Italian at B2 rather than aiming for the C level because it's just too much work and I'd like to focus on some other things.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 20
01 November 2013 at 3:05pm | IP Logged 
My biggest decision was definitely to quit all deliberate language learning in 1982, when I had passed my university exam in French and Literature and realized that the 1968 generation had occupied all the good jobs at the university level and wouldn't be inclined to leave them before I were in my fifties. And incidentally this was a lucky decision, because the whole sector with a few exceptions has been shrinking ever since.

My second biggest decision was to revert on that decision - but only at a hobby level - in 2006, when I accidentally hit upon this forum. It was like giving a former alcoholic a drink.

Edited by Iversen on 01 November 2013 at 3:08pm

12 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4587 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 8 of 20
01 November 2013 at 3:28pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:

My second biggest decision was to revert on that decision - but only at a hobby level -
in 2006, when I accidentally hit upon this forum. It was like giving a former alcoholic a
drink.

Interesting. I had thought of you as a founder member, but I think it goes back to 2004
doesn't it? Still you were there in the relatively early days, and are (thankfully) still
here.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version