France
Joined 4420 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 17 of 20
07 November 2013 at 6:13pm | IP Logged 
I have made two very big decisions in my life concerning languages:

At the age of 19 I decided to go for a Masters Degree in Romance Philology at University, thus spending 6 years studying languages and linguistics full-time rather than (as my Dad put it back then) doing something "useful", like law or economics.

The second biggest decision was to (re)start with Russian about two years ago. It has completely changed the way I spend my spare time.

2 persons have voted this message useful

freakyaye
Australia
Joined 4619 days ago

107 posts - 152 votes 

Message 18 of 20
08 November 2013 at 3:24pm | IP Logged 
KSAKSA wrote:
I'm dreaming/thinking of going to study here: http://www.omancenter.org/

You know what's putting me off? A lot of the students look like university students. I feel there is a big age gap
between me and them and I'd feel out of place and would make them feel like they are getting stuck in a class with
an oldie :)

Hey, don't worry about age when it comes to language learning, you'll bond with others over your love of a common
language/goal. The minority won't like being around someone purely based on age - but these people are usually
tools anyway. I say go for it!

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6986 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 19 of 20
09 November 2013 at 10:11am | IP Logged 
My biggest decision is usually whether my recent use of the F word was appropriate and whether I should have brought F's mother into the conversation.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 20 of 20
09 November 2013 at 11:38am | IP Logged 
Actually in hindsight the most decisive one was to start studying Russian - on a whim.

I have not regretted this decision ever in my life.

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version