28 messages over 4 pages: 1 24  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 17 of 28
01 November 2013 at 11:59pm | IP Logged 
Astrophel wrote:
Both Cantonese and Cherokee are probably at the far extreme. In Cantonese, when asking what
someone wants to eat, you literally ask "Eat what?", and the person responds "Eat rice (or whatever)."
This is perfectly polite. In Cherokee, you outright use the imperative to ask for something - "Give me", "Pass the turkey." The politeness is taken for granted, unless otherwise indicated by tone of voice, body language, etc.
Sounds so convenient :D
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 18 of 28
02 November 2013 at 12:23am | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:
Serpent wrote:
Yeah, I definitely need to consciously remind myself that many things are not polite in English :-) Or Finnish, for that matter. it took me so long to learn to add "kiitos" when rejecting things! "no, thanks" - thanks for what exactly?

Thank you for the offer/asking/etc. That's how I perceive it, at least (I said "ei kiitos" a few times today :S)
Hehe I wonder if it's because I generally like simplicity in everything, including food, clothes, design, whatever. Not that I expect everyone to be psychic, but I guess it's annoying that I actively dislike so many things that any sane person is supposed to like. It's physically very difficult for me to drink through a straw for example (although this one is not even offered, it's just a given).

So I kinda feel like I'm saying "thanks for pointing out I'm not a normal person for not wanting this" :D Although in general it's not as bad as my post made it sound, not even if I'm at a rock festival and I can hardly hear what the salesperson even tells me and they are just offering to ruin my perfect meal.

vonPeterhof
Tetraglot
Russian FederationRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4559 days ago

715 posts - 1527 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, EnglishC2, Japanese, German
Studies: Kazakh, Korean, Norwegian, Turkish

Message 19 of 28
02 November 2013 at 8:31am | IP Logged 
Call me "un-Russian" or whatever, but if I were greeted with a "Что вы хотите?" (let alone "Чего хотите?" or "Чо хош?") upon entering a hotel I'd perceive it as typically poor Soviet customer service and not as a peculiarity of the Russian language and its expression of politeness. Having spent most of my life in Saint Petersburg and outside of Russia might have spoiled me, but I do expect a variation of "Good [time of day]! How can I help you?". Although I guess it's usually the tone and facial expression of the receptionist that is more important in making you feel welcomed rather than their choice of phrases. Besides, less than polite greetings are usually the least of your problems. I recall having stayed at a motel in Rostov-on-Don where I tried to tell the receptionist that the WiFi wasn't working in my room. Her responses were basically "The server is on, so it should be working. No, I'm not gonna open my own laptop to see if it works. No, I'm not gonna go up to your room to see if the signal is weaker there. If you don't like it, might as well f*** off to another motel".

I think a much better example of a mismatch between polite expressions in different languages was given by Марк in another thread.

Марк wrote:
When translated directly from one language to another a polite phrase can become extremely rude. For example, Девушка! Вы не знаете, где...? is perfectly polite, while Girl! Don't you know where...? is just an insult.

As I pointed out in a later comment, the phrase wouldn't sound nearly as rude if it were translated word for word into Japanese instead of English, since both Russian and Japanese use the negative and the verb's conjugation (-masu form in Japanese, V-form in Russian) to make a question more polite. On the other hand English has lost the T-V distinction, while making the question negative (at least in this form) actually makes it sound rude instead of polite, as if you're questioning the person's intelligence. Add to that the fact that девушка ("girl", "young woman") is a perfectly acceptable way to address an unfamiliar female in post-Soviet Russia and in fact preferable to such quaint terms as барышня (miss), госпожа (lady), сударыня (ma'am) or товарищ (comrade).

Edited by vonPeterhof on 02 November 2013 at 8:41am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 20 of 28
02 November 2013 at 12:08pm | IP Logged 
In Kyiv, I was staying in a big international hotel, 3 years ago, the hotel Ukraine, and could not but marvel that
the description of the service from my guide book was so accurate. " The service of the reception staff,
previously hostile, is now merely indifferent. " Sooo true.

But I enjoy being called "girl". It makes me feel so much younger than when someone calls me Madame or
mam. Those both make me feel a hundred years old :-)
3 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4040 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish

Message 21 of 28
02 November 2013 at 12:42pm | IP Logged 
When I was working at the hospital reception desk I figured out a way to not have to use the plural (polite) you form for old people as I was instructed to, because Finnish has many many ways to hide the pronoun. I used constructions like;

"Olisiko kela-korttia (esittää/näyttää)?" ("~would social healthcare card be [to show]?" which is a perfectly fine sentence in Finnish)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Stassri
Korea, South
Joined 3885 days ago

23 posts - 29 votes
Speaks: Korean*

Message 22 of 28
02 November 2013 at 1:28pm | IP Logged 
I think saying 'Give me that.' or 'I want that.' doesn't sound rude at all in Korean. Because we usually rely on agglutinative elements to express politeness.

If you were to tell some stranger to pass you something,

'Keu-guh joo-uh.' or 'Keu-guh joo-uh-yo.' could be considered rude,
('keu-guh' = that / 'joo' = give / the other syllables 'uh' & 'yo' are elements to finish a sentence.)
but if you insert the agglutinative element 'shi' between 'joo' and 'uh', the outcome would be 'Keu-guh joo-shi-uh-yo' -> 'Keu-guh joo-se-yo', which sounds okay in terems of politeness.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 23 of 28
02 November 2013 at 1:38pm | IP Logged 
Heh I do something similar in the Russian part of the internet. I feel funny using the official (and plural too!) form if I'm discussing for example feminine hygiene.

(olisiko or actually more like olisko/oisko btw? I think I mostly hear olisko)

Edited by Serpent on 02 November 2013 at 1:40pm

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian

Message 24 of 28
02 November 2013 at 3:38pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Heh I do something similar in the Russian part of the internet. I feel funny using the
official (and plural too!) form if I'm discussing for example
feminine hygiene.

(olisiko or actually more like olisko/oisko btw? I think I mostly hear olisko)

I never stop to marvel over the breadth of your knowledge. I had never even heard of that :-)

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 24  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version