Norway
lang-8.com/448715
Joined 4677 days ago

629 posts - 813 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, EnglishC2, German
Studies: Japanese, Spanish

Message 9 of 104
01 November 2013 at 5:38pm | IP Logged 
English C1 - University studies in the United Kingdom (2012-); IELTS 7.5 (2011) [I
still struggle with speaking, but my passive skills are excellent. I recently overheard
people talking behind my back, and according to them, my English is awful. Also, I
found out that some people know more about me than I do :p]

・・・

German B2 - Attending a B2-Class (2013-); B2 Class in Germany (July/August 2013) [Can
speak it half-decently, >98% listening and reading comprehension]

・・・

Japanses B1 - Can understand written text reasonably well.

・・・

Danish / Swedish - Decent listening and reading comprehension.

Edited by stifa on 01 November 2013 at 5:43pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Arekkusu
Hexaglot
Canada
bit.ly/qc_10_lec
Joined 5185 days ago

3971 posts - 7747 votes 
Speaks: English, French*, GermanC1, Spanish, Japanese, Esperanto
Studies: Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Estonian

Message 10 of 104
01 November 2013 at 7:32pm | IP Logged 
French: native language.

English: C2, near-native. University education.

German: C1, quite functional, but disappointing reading comprehension. Vocabulary could be improved.

Spanish: passive C1, reading C1+/C2, speaking fluctuates between B1 and C1, but rather functional. Lack of practice.

Japanese: B2, ok for independent/active use, but reading skills need improvement.

Esperanto: B2/C1, ok for active use, lack practice lately. Reading is likely C1+.

Italian: A2? Reading is C1.

Mandarin: A1. Once A2/B1 at some point, but too little use for too long.

Romanian: A1 active (little experience), but likely B1 passive/reading.

Norwegian: A1 (lack of use), but likely B1 reading.

Studied, and all but forgotten: Czech, ASL, Russian, Finnish, Estonian.
1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4507 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 11 of 104
01 November 2013 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
Aside from English:

Dutch - B2. Self-taught, plus five (5) months of living in the Netherlands and one (1) boyfriend. I can watch TV
and read serious literature for pleasure. Speaking lags a bit behind that but is functional. Apparently my accent is
very "cute".

French - A1 active - B1 passive. Six years of school instruction which culminated in a score of 6 on the IB Higher
Level exam. Over the past four years, unfortunately, I've let it slide into disrepair. It looks like my reading abilities
have exhibited remarkable staying power, but writing, speaking, or listening would be a total crapshoot.

Indonesian - A0. I know the greetings and how to construct simple sentences.

Over the next year I would like to maintain my B2 in Dutch, bring my Indonesian up to B2 also, and resurrect my
French to maybe B1 active and C1 passive.

Edited by Hekje on 01 November 2013 at 8:47pm

Einarr
Tetraglot
United Kingdom
einarrslanguagelog.w
Joined 4417 days ago

118 posts - 269 votes 
Speaks: English, Bulgarian*, French, Russian
Studies: Swedish

Message 12 of 104
01 November 2013 at 8:33pm | IP Logged 
Allright, so I spent a couple of hours doing some level tests in my languages, just to make sure I'm not mistaken in my proper judgement. :D So here it goes.

Apart from my native Bulgarian:

* English C2 - I've been studying, using it for 12 years now, and I sometimes feel better using it instead of my native language. Funny thing is that when I had to take my state exams 5 years ago I got 5.58 (out of 6.0) in Bulgarian and 5.54 (out of 6.0) in English. The tests today showed C2 as well.

* French B2 (C1) - Spent 5 years studying it at high school. The last 4 of which were an unevenly dispersed mixture of general French and Business French in favor of the latter, since we were obliged to study almost 90% of the business subjects in French (the remaining 10% were taught in Bulgarian together with the classical high school curricula e.g. Maths, Sciences, etc.) That resulted in a Diploma from the French institute proving my skills. However, ever since I graduated I've very rarely used it apart from the occasional translations I've done, and despite the test showing I'm in the boundary between B2 and C1, I'd give myself a lower B2 instead.
P.S.: If I ever need to use it on a daily basis (heavens forbid) I'll probably be in a nervous breakdown within a matter of days.

* Russian Passive C1, Active A2 - This is a curious one, just because I've been around Russian for around 20 years now, and I've always managed to understand it fairly well, which had indeed improved in the recent years, meaning that I feel quite at ease when reading or listening to pretty much anything. For some time now I'm also chatting with a friend in Russian in order to improve my writing. It's a shame though that my speaking is a complete disgrace and I've only recently began to revise it formally.

* Macedonian Passive C2, Active A0 - I don't know if I should count this due to the extreme proximity with Bulgarian, but I can listen and read to 95% of anything in it, but I am yet to write or speak it and firmly I'm not keen on doing it any time soon.

* Serbian/Croatian Passive B2, Active A0 - Same as Macedonian with the sole difference that back in the day I would have stated Passive C1 due to the fact I was translating stuff from the language.

* Norwegian low B1 - Determining this one got me confused, as the only test I found I got with 0 mistakes, though I do believe the test was fairly easy, so I wouldn't dare giving myself anything more than a low B1 (a solid B1 on a VERY good day). My experience with the language is active study for the last 6 months and just teasing myself with it for the last 4 years, but nothing serious.

* Danish/Swedish (joint) Passive low B1, Active A1 - Norwegian pretty much reasons it all. Formally I've studied a couple of terms of Danish at university and later on started upgrading myself. I do manage to understand the main point when I read in both languages these days, and would not seek for subtitles but definitely won't be comfortable speaking them.

* German Passive A2 Active A0-1 - Now the test I did was veeeery generous at giving me a B2 which I'm not, and I'm convinced about it. I'd rather give myself a mediocre A2 due to the fact that some time ago I was at a B1-2 boundary but due to unforeseen circumstances (humongous amounts of French at high school) I had to close this avenue of pleasure and I'm now only capable of going through some basic news or chatting in a very low level conversations.

* Dutch/Spanish Passive A1-2 Active A0 - Blame the German above for the passive in a joint venture with the Scandinavian languages (French for the latter), which resulted in a month or so study in the language.

* Apart from these I've picked up a tiny tad of Turkish, Greek and Finnish, but nothing to write home about, due to the fact that I've forgotten almost everything apart from the Greek alphabet.

Edited by Einarr on 01 November 2013 at 8:42pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5234 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 13 of 104
02 November 2013 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
French - Native
English - nearly native. I have studied, written and taught in English at the university
Spanish - C1; passed the DELE C1 in 2012, am gearing up for the DELE C2 in early 2014.

All the other languages that I've dabbled in are not worth mentioning, in my opinion.

I see that people are distinguishing the passive-active skills using the CEFR scale. Typically the passive skills are higher than the active skills. I don't want to be a partypooper but I don't think the CEFR system was designed to be used this way.

First of all, the CEFR does not use the term passive at all. There are three kinds of skills: productive, receptive and interactive with a net bias towards the productive skills.

Secondly, the descriptors (A1..C2) refer to overall proficiency. I know what people are attempting to say with "Passive B2 Active A2" but the CEFR doesn't work that way. You're an A2.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4440 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 14 of 104
02 November 2013 at 2:07am | IP Logged 
As of this very instant:

English - native, woohoo!

French - C1 passive, B2 active. Sometimes I get too nervous to use a wider or more familiar vocab. Studying/reading/listening just about everyday for the past two years + speaking with an Algerian friend from school. I can get just about everything in series & movies with exceptions. Some vocab/expressions I don't think I'd ever understand unless I live in France. Reading is more or less fluent with the exception of formal/literary vocab which I have to look up.

Spanish - B2 passive, B1+ active. Reading heavy novels is still a little iffy at times and I'm learning more expressions & vocab. For TV series it depends. Some days I feel invincible, and others I feel destroyed. I'm still not at the point where it's "sticking my brain" so to speak. I'd feel comfortable working customer service in a highly populated Hispanophone area however.

Italian - B1+ passive, A1 active. I'm not too preoccupied about being able to understand series or shows without subs or reading The Divine Comedy in the original. Just enough to be able to communicate with my family & the Italian community somewhat comfortably.

Goals:

French - Go to school in Montreal or Montpellier; C2

Spanish - C1 or C2, whatever happens.

Italian - B2, B1 understanding in the dialects used around here

Edited by sillygoose1 on 02 November 2013 at 2:09am

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6707 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 15 of 104
02 November 2013 at 2:13am | IP Logged 
It is obviously true that the passive skills are typically higher than the active skills (i.e. you can understand more than you can say in any given language, including your native one) but they might be disproportionally higher.

It is also true that the CEFR was not designed to distinguish between your passive and active level but you still may need to describe your passive and active skills in some way, especially if there is a huge discrepancy between them.

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5336 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 16 of 104
02 November 2013 at 2:55am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Secondly, the descriptors (A1..C2) refer to overall proficiency. I know what people are attempting to say with "Passive B2 Active A2" but the CEFR doesn't work that way. You're an A2.

Many CEFRL exams actually provide separate scores for reading, writing, listening and speaking. For example, here's somebody who's C2 in both listening and speaking, according to the TCF:

Since the exams often break out these scores individually, I don't think it's too much of a stretch for people on HTLAL to do the same. Of course, there's the usual risk of overly optimistic self-evaluation, but the COE publishes some pretty reasonable self evaluation tools that will usually get people in the ballpark.

5 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 104 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version