Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 104
01 November 2013 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
In another thread we have been discussing how to put passive languages on your CV - and it struck me, that if you are to be absolutely dead honest, your language CV could be curious reading. Also because some claim to speak languages they have forgotten, or hardly even studied. I'll give you mine, with warts and all and look forward to yours :-)

Formal background (and the honest appraisal...)

English: C2 - 4 years of University education (But my daughters say I have a phony accent, and a native speaker says my vowels are too short.) Still - good workable knowledge - struggle with spelling mistakes due to a gallopping case of dyslexia, and I suffer from a bad case of informality, but otherwise fine, both orally and in writing.

Spanish: C2 - 4 1/2 years of University studies - 3 years in Spain, 8 boyfriends - (Pretty good speaking and listening skills still and I get really good feed back on those, but I have hardly written in it for 30 years, and I have no skills within formal administrative language)

French: C2/C1 - 1 year of University studies, 1 year in France, 1/2 a boyfriend (still fairly good listening and speaking skills, get good feed back on those - takes me for ever to write anything in it though, and I would get a heart attack if I had to use it daily in writing. No clue on administrative, formal language, but I am the king at chatting at lunch)

Italian: B1? A couple of evening classes, 6 weeks in Italy in the last century - 3 boyfriends - (Used to speak it very well, am getting incredibly rusty - still enough to get a smile on every Italian's face though. Would fail miserably if I tried to use it for work purposes)

German B1 - 1 year at high shool, a few evening classes and a 2 weeks' intensive course in Munich - (can speak it at a simple level without difficulties, but would literally die if I had to write in it on a daily basis. Great at verbs, a walking disaster at cases)

Russian - A2 - A number of evening classes and two intensive courses in Kiev. No boyfriends. Yet. (Can say simple things, could not use it professionally for another 5 years)

Swedish: Passive C2 - Active A2 - Massive exposure through TV as a child, and through work as an adult. (100% oral understanding, 95%-98 reading understanding can speak it, but not write it.)

Danish: Passive C2 - Active A0 - (90%-95 oral understanding - 99% reading understanding - cannot speak it or write it)

Polish: A0 - Evening classes and one month in Warsaw (Yes, I know I have a document which says I can do some Polish, but at this point all it does is mess up my Russian. Got a 19 year marriage out of attending the course though, which partly explains my lack of study time.)

Latin A0: 6 months at the University. (I have the papers for it, but I hated it then, and I hate it now. No skills whatsoever.)

Dutch: A0 active- A2 passive skills - A few evening classes with a Dutch monk that started chasing me around. Put a stop to my Dutch language studies. (Can understand enough to read an Agatha Christie in it, but understand zero and zilch when they open their mouths)

Portuguese: A0 active - A2 passive skills. A tiny bit of exposure while in Portugal - 2 weeks alltogether. (Can read an Agatha Christie, understand about 60-70% of the spoken language if they speak slowly.)

Arabic: A0 6 weeks classical Arabic, 6 weeks Egyptian Arabic at the university in the late 70ies. (Can say 3-4 phrases and recognize some words in other languages - otherwise - nothing. Forgotten the alphabet).

Hebrew: A0 - 6 weeks classical Hebrew at the University in the late 80ies (can say a few words - otherwise nothing. Forgotten the alphabet.

Languages I have started and of which I now remember nothing at all: Greek, Turkish.
9 persons have voted this message useful

Zireael
Triglot
Poland
Joined 4432 days ago

518 posts - 636 votes 
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, Spanish
Studies: German, Sign Language, Tok Pisin, Arabic (Yemeni), Old English

Message 2 of 104
01 November 2013 at 3:32pm | IP Logged 
I love the A0 ones. Where did you get the idea for this denomination?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 3 of 104
01 November 2013 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:

I'm creative :-)
5 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 4 of 104
01 November 2013 at 3:41pm | IP Logged 
Zireael wrote:

Makes perfect sense to me (as a one time computer low-level programmer. Computer
addresses start at zero, not one).

I'm slightly surprised that Cristina rates herself as possibly as low as 95%
comprehension for reading Swedish, but I guess that's natural modesty or caution.

1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 

Message 5 of 104
01 November 2013 at 3:46pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Zireael wrote:

Makes perfect sense to me (as a one time computer low-level programmer. Computer
addresses start at zero, not one).

I'm slightly surprised that Cristina rates herself as possibly as low as 95%
comprehension for reading Swedish, but I guess that's natural modesty or caution.

Yep. That's me. Naturally modest :-)

3 persons have voted this message useful

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5313 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 6 of 104
01 November 2013 at 3:58pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
1/2 a boyfriend

I love your measuring system! And what a fun idea.

French: Got paperwork to prove I'm B2, and could probably pass a C1 reading exam without much trouble. Listening comprehension is 90+% half the time, and the other half, who knows? Except French movies and cop shows, many of which thoroughly defeat me. I'm too lazy to keep up my writing skills, but I can fake it if you give me a web connection. Speaking is a mess. Specifically, I'm good enough that people no longer give me compliments. Instead, they just assume I'm an idiot. Socially I'm OK, but if I have to talk for more than a few sentences at a time, I never know what the result will be: Sometimes I can almost fake C1, but other times, they'd take away my B2 certificate if they heard me. Do not put me in professional situations unless the customer is desperate to do business with us.

Latin: I studied this for years. I can probably still translate pieces of "The farmer is kind to the wretched slaves," but not assemble them into a grammatical sentence.

German: I can still sing some of "O Tannenbaum" and remember some of the major function words and prepositions. Not so hot for two years of classes.

Italian: I had an excellent accent and 200 word vocabulary when I went to college. After college, I had a 200 word vocabulary.

Ancient Egyptian: If you let me wander around the Louvre long enough, I can probably translate a few formulaic fragments of funeral inscriptions. I would do better if I knew more than 6 verbs and a few dozen nouns. But hey, I'm up to date on my Anki reviews!

Edited by emk on 01 November 2013 at 4:59pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4403 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 7 of 104
01 November 2013 at 4:25pm | IP Logged 
English - Native language. Born and raised in Scotland so I also have a healthy Scots vocabulary.

German - I put my level at C1. I've never sat any official exams, but I can converse fluently with native speakers, using lots of idiomatic terms. Wife is German so I have had a lot of exposure to the language over the years. I have also attended evening classses and studied grammar books, so I know how the cases work. I can watch movies without subtitles. I read novels with only occasional recourse to a dictionary. I maintain several friendships in German only. But to bump myself up to C2 I think I'd have to spend a couple of years in Germany using the language constantly.

Russian - No higher than A1. I've worked through a couple of audio courses and can build a few simple sentences but that's about it. I know how each letter in the Cyrillic script sounds. I have Russian friends but I speak to them in either English or German.

Hungarian - Can introduce myself, exchange pleasantries, recite the alphabet, count to 20. A solid A0

Serbian - See Hungarian.

Edited by beano on 01 November 2013 at 4:27pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4488 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 8 of 104
01 November 2013 at 4:39pm | IP Logged 
Besides Dutch,

English - C2: used from childhood, native delivery, entirely idiomatic, fully capable
of anything, have international baccelaureate diploma.

French - B2+ - understand practically everything, can express myself very well and
rapidly without much word-searching. Still need to work on some vocabulary holes and
register though.

German - B2, understand everything (unless in dialect), can speak fluently, make some
funny mistakes and have a charming accent

Swedish - B2 (see German)

Russian - B2 (but slightly lower) No problems with speech, can converse and maintain
friendships in this language, still some advanced grammar mistakes and my literary
register isn't too good

Romanian - B1 could travel independently and write messages but don't have enough spoke
experience to put it at B2 - can understand a lot though

Breton - spoken A1, written B1 - can read a novel slowly if I understand the content,
can do personal messaging, but have never really spoken it - could come up with
something though

Hebrew - A2+ - can produce a lot, understand most of the grammar, but lack experience
and can't read very well - still need to work on reading Hebrew. Spoken and oral
understanding is slightly better

Icelandic - A1 - have some beginner notions of the language and the grammar, can do
greetings and construct a few simple sentences, maybe some touristic things, but no
more

Korean - A1 (see Icelandic)

Latin - A1 - can understand and translate some simple things but can't speak it for the
life of me

Portuguese/Spanish/Italian - understand a fair amount of these languages, but can't
speak them as I have never studied the grammar ~ A1

rest is irrelevant really except that I can read a lot of Norwegian and Danish except
when the vocab isn't guessable or identical to Swedish.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 104 messages over 13 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version