Germany
Joined 4604 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 97 of 104
07 November 2013 at 6:54pm | IP Logged 
German – Native language

English (C1-C2) – 9 years at school. I can converse fluently about any topic, can read newspapers and novels, can watch movies and series. Apparently, my accent is good enough to be mistaken for a native speaker from time to time. I do have problems understanding some accents though (esp. Irish) and I tend to choose wrong prepositions.

French (B2) – 4,5 years at school. I can read French literature and newspapers without greater problems and can converse. I would be able to survive in France without talking English, although I would need some practice to be able to talk about economy or philosophy again. I have problems understanding fast colloquial speech. Could need some brush-up.

Latin (B1-B2) – 5 years at school including "Latinum" (Official certificate in Latin). I could translate Ovid, Pliny, and Virgil when I was at school. Now, I can still understand easy texts, but I lack a lot of vocabulary and have forgotten some advanced grammar.

Italian (B1-B2) – my first self-taught language. I have sufficient knowledge in order to read Italian literature and newspapers and understand Italian TV. I haven’t spoken it in ages, but I can make myself understood. Writing is still surprisingly easy although I lack some vocabulary and advanced grammar. Could definitely need some brush-up.

Swedish (B1-B2) – my second self-taught language plus 2 semesters at university. I can talk about a range of topics, read literature and newspapers and understand TV and movies. Could need some active practice.

Dutch (passive B1-B2, active A1) – I can understand it because of mutual intelligibility with German and some dabbling in it, but I can hardly speak it. I could activate it very quickly, if needed.

Russian (B1) – I have completed two textbooks, can read excerpts from newspapers and graded readers, can understand clear speech and can write it sufficiently well. I have never used it for speaking.

Spanish (passive B1, active A1) – I can understand it because of mutual intelligibility with my other Romance languages, but I can hardly speak it. I could activate it quickly, if needed.

Icelandic (A2-B1) – I have completed a textbook, can read Old Norse sagas, write about personal topics, and understand clear speech. I have never used it for speaking.

Scottish Gaelic (A2) – I have completed a textbook, can write about personal topics and read easy stories. I have never used it for speaking and can hardly imagine doing so.

Irish (A1) – I have completed a textbook and can understand and build easy sentences. I can't speak it.

Japanese (A0-A1) – I am studying it right now. I can understand and use very basic phrases.

Greek, Ancient Greek, Old English, Faroese, Danish, Welsh, Mandarin (A0) – I have dabbled in these languages, but never got very far. I can understand very basic phrases.

Edited by Josquin on 07 November 2013 at 8:40pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

songlines
Pro Member
Canada
flickr.com/photos/cp
Joined 4969 days ago

729 posts - 1056 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French
Personal Language Map

Message 98 of 104
08 November 2013 at 4:49am | IP Logged 
kanewai wrote:

Arabic: ...Also, one time, I got lost in Jordan and I asked this old man
for directions, and he totally understood me.

-----------------------------------------------

Dear Solfrid_Cristin: Honesty is overrated!

And more crucially, did you understand him when he gave you the directions..?

- Thanks for a delightful post!

And I'm enjoying this whole thread too. Thanks for starting it, Solfrid_Cristin!

Edited by songlines on 08 November 2013 at 4:50am

1 person has voted this message useful

Kc2012
Diglot
Groupie
South Africa
Joined 4233 days ago

44 posts - 65 votes 
Speaks: English*, Afrikaans
Studies: Dutch, Mandarin, Russian

Message 99 of 104
08 November 2013 at 4:02pm | IP Logged 
Although interesting, this thread seems more like an excuse for people to brag about their language
abilities :P no negativity meant here, just my observation.
3 persons have voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4448 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 100 of 104
08 November 2013 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Kc2012 wrote:
Although interesting, this thread seems more like an excuse for people to
brag about their language

Reasonable minds may differ. My impression was that it's been more of an opportunity for
those with numerous languages listed to be self-effacing and tell us about all the ways
they aren't as perfect as their profiles might suggest to the uninformed observer.
6 persons have voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5094 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 101 of 104
08 November 2013 at 8:29pm | IP Logged 
geoffw wrote:
Kc2012 wrote:
Although interesting, this thread seems more like an excuse for people
to
brag about their language

Reasonable minds may differ. My impression was that it's been more of an opportunity for
those with numerous languages listed to be self-effacing and tell us about all the ways
they aren't as perfect as their profiles might suggest to the uninformed observer.

That was more the intention :-)

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 08 November 2013 at 8:37pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4649 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 102 of 104
08 November 2013 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
songlines wrote:
kanewai wrote:

Arabic: ...Also, one time, I got lost in Jordan and I asked this old man
for directions, and he totally understood me.

-----------------------------------------------

Dear Solfrid_Cristin: Honesty is overrated!

And more crucially, did you understand him when he gave you the directions..?

I did for the first minute or two. The problem is, he kept on talking. And talking.
People were very friendly in Jordan.

I find this a lot - I can sustain a very simple conversation with a decent
accent, and then people think I can understand far more than I do.

Duke100782
Bilingual Diglot
Philippines
https://talktagalog.Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4248 days ago

172 posts - 240 votes 
Speaks: English*, Tagalog*
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 103 of 104
09 November 2013 at 5:31am | IP Logged 
English (Native)

Tagalog (Native)

Mandarin (A2) - I've been studying Mandarin since coming to China a year and a half ago. I'm trying to
incorporate more and more in my daily life and push up the percentage of the Chinese when I speak to my
bilingual English-Chinese colleagues. Of all the six expats in my office (we're 6 Filipinos, 3 Chinese), I'm the
only one considerably progressing in the language for now. I can use some simple sentences and convey
general ideas. I can understand half of what's being during meetings or when hanging out with a bunch of
Chinese speakers. When trying to read the papers I can recognize about half of the characters in a sentence,
but of course recognizing half of the characters doesn't yet translate to getting half of the meaning. I think I've
just reached a threshhold of understanding the language that's allowing my skills and fluency to improve
drastically faster than in the past year and a half.

Spanish (A1) - I can read and understand a majority of what I read and get the general gist when watching
movies in Spanish, but my active skills lag behind. Especially now when I try speak Spanish to my Spanish-
speaking friends Chinese Mandarin words keep trying to pop out "我 llamo Duke". I'll start speaking more
Spanish from now on.

Bisaya/Cebuano (A1) - Can understand a lot of what's being said from my exposure to the language as it's
my mother's first language. My active skills are quite far behind though. I can only issue the simplest of
sentences and expressions.

German (A0) - I got 3 units of German as a freshman in college. At least it doesn't sound alien when I see or
hear it.

Japanese (A0) - I did a number of Pimsleur's lessons. I played a lot of Judo that uses lots of Japanese
terminology.

Greek, Korean (A0) - I listened to a few lessons. I can barely recall anything at all.

Sign language (A0) - I dabbled in it for a while since around 5% of employees in ths office I used to head
were hearing-impaired. I'm not even sure what kind of sign language I was being taught whether it was
Filipino or American sign language, I think they're mostly the same though.

Edited by Duke100782 on 09 November 2013 at 5:34am

1 person has voted this message useful

jdmoncada
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4794 days ago

470 posts - 741 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Spanish, Finnish
Studies: Russian, Japanese

Message 104 of 104
16 November 2013 at 5:32pm | IP Logged 
I love the warts and all idea of this thread. I've never put my skills to CFR levels, but one one board's languages thread I put things in categories such as "Languages I can sing--and understand the text of what I'm singing--but don't speak" (French, Latin, Italian). That seems like a more real representation of the skills I have.

This discussion contains 104 messages over 13 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version