United States
Joined 5445 days ago

206 posts - 239 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Latin
Studies: Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, French

Message 1 of 2
01 November 2013 at 6:11pm | IP Logged 
Salvete omnes!
I'm interested in finding two resources for Latin: 1) a comprehensive grammar, and 2) a
prose composition workbook (i.e. one with exercises where I can practice writing and
not just reading). Just to give you an idea of the level I'm looking for, I'm at a
relatively advanced level of Latin, having studied for six years and read many
classical authors. That said, I stopped practicing writing in Latin after the third
year or so, so my skills in that area definitely need some work. I'm looking for a
comprehensive grammar to have as a reference and also to refresh my knowledge. As for
prose composition, I currently have digital copies of the "Latin Prose Composition for
the Middle Forms of School" by North and Hillard and the accompanying answer key. Does
anyone have any thoughts on the quality of this resource or is there anything else you
would recommend? Also, what would you recommend as a good comprehensive grammar?
Thanks!
1 person has voted this message useful

mminer4
China
Joined 3999 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Latin, German, Mandarin

Message 2 of 2
23 May 2014 at 2:10pm | IP Logged 
I can't speak for the book you have, but my professor at uni used Bradley's Arnold fr
composition. Granted, the beginning would be remedial for you, but the meat of it would be
useful, I think.

If it's worth anything, my professor was Harvard/Oxford educated in Classics and
specialized in Ciceronian Latin. He's done some commentaries for Cambridge, so I figure
his would be a very good recommendation.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version