Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4402 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 6
01 November 2013 at 7:47pm | IP Logged 
A C2 speaker understands everything that is said at full native speed and can engage in detailed debate on a
wide variety of complicated topics. But they still won't have as good a command of the language as a native
speaker (assuming we compare people of broadly similar intelligence).

So when you reach C2, where do you go next? Do we effectively have a C3 category, or do we simply say
near native, or even native-like?
1 person has voted this message useful

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4416 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 2 of 6
01 November 2013 at 8:16pm | IP Logged 
I don't think a C2 can understand *everything*, but rather almost everything. That would mean that a C2 level is native.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_European_Framework_of_Re ference_for_Languages#Common_reference_levels

I think the only level after C2 is native. Wouldn't C2 be near-native?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Sunja
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5865 days ago

2020 posts - 2295 votes 
1 sounds
Studies: French, Mandarin

Message 3 of 6
02 November 2013 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
I've spent almost half my life with German and I've lived in Germany for about 14 years. I would say that there's still things that are missed even if you've been in the country for as long as I have. I have trouble with some people who have soft voices. If they're speaking super fast or they're not speaking directly at me I may have to ask them to repeat bits. If I were native I don't think I'd have any trouble. My American ear just isn't attuned to the German language like a person who has been hearing the language since childhood. But it's not a hinderance.

Once you get to C2 you advance your skills the way you would your own native language. The 2nd language is no longer "foreign". For example I always like to sharpen my translation skills. I talk a lot in both languages so the vocabularies get used. I think that would be considered "C3" -- maintaining and honing whatever advanced level you're at, or maybe studying a new facet or area.

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6483 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 6
02 November 2013 at 8:40am | IP Logged 
I would say that there is another possibility, namely that you develop your adopted language way beyond the level of most native speakers in some areas (dialects, old languages, technical topics), but still have weak areas in others, simply because you didn't pass a certain stage in your life speaking that language - and the neurophysiological response will probably always be different. I commented on some research in my log thread several years which showed that even highly proficient translators from the EU in Bruxelles didn't have as strong responses to words from their working language as they had to their native language. And in the article the age limit was set at somewhere around 5 years, not the onset of puberty as in most sources that discuss native fluency.

Edited by Iversen on 02 November 2013 at 11:42pm

7 persons have voted this message useful

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6985 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 5 of 6
02 November 2013 at 8:40pm | IP Logged 
Iversen wrote:
In the article the age limit was set at somewhere around 5 years, not the onset of puberty as in most sources that discuss native fluency.

I wonder if this is more psychological than neurological. That is, as we become more autonomous, we are a bit more obstinante and want to do things our way. I think there is at least some of each.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4608 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 6 of 6
02 November 2013 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
I'll worry about it if and when I get there.

For a slightly more serious answer, echoing part of what Iversen says, I think the
things you would miss out on, even at a hypothetical "C3" level, would be cultural
references that you will of necessity have missed out on while growing up.

For example, I can sometimes share memories with my wife or my siblings from way back
when, which even our children can't fully understand (because they weren't there, and
aren't particularly interested).

And think of, for example a former West German marrying a former East German, and they
talk about their respective childhoods. They speak the same language, but their
cultural frame of reference, and even vocabulary in certain respects, will be quite
different in many ways.

5 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version