amberember
United States
Joined 4000 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: English*

Message 1 of 2
02 November 2013 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone,

I've been lurking around these forums for ages and have gotten a lot of great ideas and motivation here, but I have a question.

I just learned about the Goldlist method, and since I have a really difficult time retaining vocabulary, I'm interested in trying it. I'm not on any deadline since I study languages mostly for fun, so I don't mind studying at a more leisurely pace, as long as I'm still progressing.

I can understand how it would work for German and French, but has anyone tried it with Chinese characters? How would you set it up? I was thinking character, pinyin, English, but I didn't know if that would slow down my character recognition at all. I'm a complete beginner at Chinese...I know forty-some words (speaking and reading pinyin; I can only recognize 10 characters or so) and a few structures of grammar, if my level makes any difference.

I've also heard a lot of people saying that it's better to learn vocabulary in context, but I have no idea how to go about doing that. When I took German and Latin in school, we learned everything with word lists or flashcards and very rarely learned anything in context by watching movies, listening to audio, or reading in our target languages.
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4626 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 2 of 2
03 November 2013 at 3:51pm | IP Logged 
Have you looked at the articles on huliganov.tv?

I think David has written about using it for Japanese. Not sure about Chinese.

It might be worth posting a question underneath a suitable looking article.
He sometimes takes a while to respond, but when he does, it is often a very full reply,
and if he likes the question, he sometimes makes a full-blown blog article out of it.

I've used (am using) Goldlist, but only for west-European languages, and can't help with
Chinese I'm afraid.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version