PeteP
United States
Joined 4796 days ago

27 posts - 48 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Romanian

Message 17 of 43
07 November 2013 at 11:40pm | IP Logged 
Like Tarvos said, DLI Romanian is VERY good. It is HUGE and goes fairly deep. It has
about 60+ hours of audio, but the quality of the audio (its sound, not its content) is
lower quality than most modern courses. They are copied from tapes made in the very
early sixties.

DLI Romanian also has less of a military focus then you would expect. LOTS of everyday
life material (along with stories of tank warfare in Korea, but much less of that then
you would expect).

It is a bit of a dry course and the attempts at humor sometimes involve Bing Crosby :-)
There are also sentences like "He dances like Fred Astaire" and many, many references
to smoking :-)

For a more modern and very thorough free course, google Limba care ne unește (The
language which unites us). It is a Romanian course produced by Moldova. The Romanian
is completely standard Romanian, the audio features speakers with standard Romanian
accents with only a slight hint of Moldovan accent.

At the "so you want to learn a language" site mentioned in the previous post, there is
a lot of good Peace Corps Moldova material in the Romanian section, sadly with not much
audio. The audio it does have features speakers with heavier Moldovan accents than
Limba care ne unește.
3 persons have voted this message useful

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4012 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 18 of 43
14 November 2013 at 8:54am | IP Logged 
I would add that second-hand-books'-shops often or at least sometimes have language learning resources; I found a Hungarian textbook that I paid 2€ for and looked at the price for a new copy which is 50€, and I also got a Hungarian reader with a Finnish glossary for 1€. That means I'm pretty well set to begin studying Hungarian and I managed to achieve that with three euros.
2 persons have voted this message useful

catullus_roar
Quadrilingual Octoglot
Groupie
Australia
Joined 4327 days ago

89 posts - 184 votes 
Speaks: Malay, Hokkien*, English*, Mandarin*, Cantonese*, French, German, Spanish
Studies: Italian, Latin, Armenian, Afrikaans, Russian

Message 19 of 43
14 November 2013 at 1:15pm | IP Logged 
For Russian, you should try this website called lingualift.com. Much better than duolingo or other such websites, but it's paid (not an exorbitant price though). You can always take advantage of the free 14 day trial and download all their materials within the 14 days then study it slowly (teehee).

Try Amazon used books as well. I am not a fan of FSI as I find it too technical for someone who is starting from scratch (keep in mind the FSI books were designed for use in conjunction with intensive classes with an instructor and classmates).

kujichagulia
Japan
Joined 4606 days ago

1031 posts - 1571 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Portuguese

Message 20 of 43
15 November 2013 at 2:03am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
Listen Reading is an inexpensive and effective method.

I don't doubt the effectiveness of Listening-Reading, but I wonder why you say it is inexpensive. It seems that buying two copies of novels (L1 and L2), then buying the audiobook version in L2 would be somewhat expensive, especially if you are buying a lot of them.

I guess it depends upon one's "purchasing threshold", i.e. how much a person is willing to pay for learning a language.

Edited by kujichagulia on 15 November 2013 at 2:08am

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6668 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 21 of 43
15 November 2013 at 12:40pm | IP Logged 
The inexpensive options are sites like Gutenberg and Librivox, and we shall not forget libraries.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 22 of 43
15 November 2013 at 1:44pm | IP Logged 
PeteP wrote:
Like Tarvos said, DLI Romanian is VERY good. It is HUGE and goes fairly
deep. It has
about 60+ hours of audio, but the quality of the audio (its sound, not its content) is
lower quality than most modern courses. They are copied from tapes made in the very
early sixties.

DLI Romanian also has less of a military focus then you would expect. LOTS of everyday
life material (along with stories of tank warfare in Korea, but much less of that then
you would expect).

It is a bit of a dry course and the attempts at humor sometimes involve Bing Crosby :-)
There are also sentences like "He dances like Fred Astaire" and many, many references
to smoking :-)

For a more modern and very thorough free course, google Limba care ne unește (The
language which unites us). It is a Romanian course produced by Moldova. The Romanian
is completely standard Romanian, the audio features speakers with standard Romanian
accents with only a slight hint of Moldovan accent.

At the "so you want to learn a language" site mentioned in the previous post, there is
a lot of good Peace Corps Moldova material in the Romanian section, sadly with not much
audio. The audio it does have features speakers with heavier Moldovan accents than
Limba care ne unește.

Moldovan accents are all right, you just need to realise the weird palatalisation stuff
going on comes from Russian. I find them hilarious.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4587 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 23 of 43
15 November 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
The inexpensive options are sites like Gutenberg and Librivox,
and we shall not forget libraries.

And second-hand books of course.

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6229 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 24 of 43
04 December 2013 at 11:28pm | IP Logged 
I wrote a series of ebooks on how to learn languages without spending money:

72 Ways to Learn German for Free
72 Ways to Learn French for Free
72 Ways to Learn Spanish for Free
72 Ways to Learn Japanese for Free

They include some of the tips you found here, but also 40+ pages of other tips,
specifically tailored to each language. Get these books from
http://www.amazon.com/Judith-Meyer/e/B00FK6X8GC

You don't need a Kindle - you can also use Amazon's free software for iPhone, iPad,
Android, PC, Mac or even the web version in order to read these.

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 24 5 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version