43 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>
Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 25 of 43
05 December 2013 at 12:38am | IP Logged 
Quite ironic to pay to find out 72 ways to learn Japanese for free...
8 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 26 of 43
05 December 2013 at 10:35am | IP Logged 
A couple people have commented on that. However, I spent over a hundred hours researching
these and I think $2.99 is justified so you can save yourself the time. The books got 5
and 4.5 stars on Amazon. One of the reviews for the Japanese book says

Quote:
A lot more bang for the buck than most books, classes and Rosetta Stone courses.
Even though I'm an experienced language learner I got a lot of useful tips from this book
and had never made so many bookmarks. I now have more than enough materials and tips for
using them to get my Japanese to fluency. In addition, there are not only tips for
finding tandem partners, but also tips on how to practice with natives online. I can
highly recommend this book, for beginners as well as advanced learners.

5 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4669 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 27 of 43
11 December 2013 at 11:25pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

You'd be paying a small amount for advice from an experienced teacher (not just experienced language learner). The resources are free; paying for advice on free resources is not really all that ironic.
2 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5190 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 28 of 43
13 December 2013 at 4:32pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

It's true. Why speand $3 for about 40 pages of advice and tips from an expert when you can spend days doing the
reseach yourself for free?
3 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 29 of 43
13 December 2013 at 8:53pm | IP Logged 
Because I don't support selling air. If you find a great free resource, don't be an elitist, spread the knowledge! Sorry but if you wrote an e-book about learning Esperanto for free, would you sell it or would it be more important to spread the love for the language?
2 persons have voted this message useful

Sprachprofi
Nonaglot
Germany
learnlangs.comRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6230 days ago

2608 posts - 4866 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Esperanto, Greek, Mandarin, Latin, Dutch, Italian
Studies: Spanish, Arabic (Written), Swahili, Indonesian, Japanese, Modern Hebrew, Portuguese

Message 30 of 43
13 December 2013 at 11:08pm | IP Logged 
I am not the keeper of secrets; any site I recommend you can find yourself with enough time and any way of
using it efficiently will eventually become clear to you, or you can ask for advice here. I have written my share
of posts as well and continue to advise people on language-learning on Learnlangs.com and Quora. What I
don't do is compile 40 pages worth of advice in response to a single question.

Esperanto has a special place in my heart and I spend about one hour a week volunteering for it in some
form or other, but beyond that I have to charge money as well. When I teach one of the weekend courses, I
don't do it for free. If I spent a month writing a book about learning Esperanto, I certainly also wouldn't do it for
free. I simply cannot afford to; I got rent to pay like the rest of us, and moreover I believe that my work is
valuable, that anyone's work is valuable, "the laborer is worth his wages".

As a programmer I could earn a lot more per hour than as a teacher, much less an author. In spite of that, I
decide to share knowledge by teaching and by writing books, at very reasonable prices. I'm just not going to
do so for free because you begrudge me the price of a cup of coffee.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6357 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds

Message 31 of 43
14 December 2013 at 2:15am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
Serpent wrote:

It's true. Why speand $3 for about 40 pages of advice and tips from an expert when you can spend days doing the reseach yourself for free?
Reading through the book and trying out various sites will also take time though, and there's no way I'm stopping my own research just because the book says there are 72 ways.

TBH, I'm mostly just sceptical. For example, how can ALL these numbers be the same for Spanish and German?

7 ways to get free lessons with a teacher
11 ways to get free Spanish courses, either directly linking to the courses or telling you where to look
12 ways to increase your Spanish vocabulary
6 ways to improve your understanding of Spanish grammar
3 ways to help you develop a good accent
13 ways to get started on reading Spanish
11 ways to improve your ability to understand Spanish movies and conversations
5 ways to get better at speaking Spanish
4 ways to improve your Spanish writing

It sounds like there are links, techniques and so to say ideas (finding native speakers etc). I'd be interested in 72 links (but that would be selling air, as the sites aren't your work), 72 techniques (worth paying for) and not interested in 72 ideas or even 10 ideas. But seeing as the books appear to have a bit of everything, I just doubt there's anything an experienced HTLAL user hasn't heard of.
3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5190 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 32 of 43
14 December 2013 at 5:06am | IP Logged 
The great thing about capitalism is that nobody forces you to buy anything. That's the power of the free market. If
you already know the content of these books, then the logical thing to do is to not buy them. I, on the other hand,
don't know everything about learning languages, so I bought the German book. If I retain one good idea or tip, I will
be happy. All for less than what I pay for a good coffee where I live. Plus I get to support a fellow HTLAL user.

Some while back a fellow HTLALer published a book on learning Québécois. All kinds of people, including myself,
fell over themselves running to buy the book, and partly in support of one of us. Now people are quibbling over $3.
Really, how cheap can you get.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 43 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version