tlanguell
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3799 days ago

24 posts - 54 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Vietnamese

Message 1 of 2
04 November 2013 at 3:48am | IP Logged 
Hi I am an American named Tom currently living in Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam. I've been
here for 3 months now teaching English and Business Administration. Before moving here
I lived in Wuxi China near Shanghai for 3 years, and before that Bangkok Thailand for 9
years. I can speak Thai very well along with some Isaan/Lao dialect but I can't read or
write much Thai. I can speak basic Mandarin along with Spanish and I am currently
learning Vietnamese using FSI and Laoshu's FLR. My language learning goals are modest -
just "survival language" to converse with locals.

I use self-study for the languages I've learned mostly by talking to my students and
locals. I never took a class in Thai just speaking with students and I learned a lot
from my Thai ex-girlfriends. I learned the Isaan/Lao dialect from talking to Bangkok
taxi drivers and food vendors (most of whom are from Isaan, the Northeast of Thailand
and the poorest region but my favorite) and I've traveled alone around Thailand and
Laos with little language difficulties. Also YouTube and Google Translate has helped me
a lot in learning Thai and now Vietnamese. When I plan to travel to a new country I use
In-Flight Living Language to learn phrases and FSI for listening and grammar review.
I've found ChinesePod to be very effective in learning Mandarin along with FSI Chinese
Resource Modules for practical applications like ordering food and travel inside China.

My main hobby is travel and I like to learn the some of the language(s) where I travel.
I've traveled extensively throughout Thailand and to a lesser extent China, Laos,
Cambodia and Vietnam. I'd be happy to share what I know about these languages along
with travel advice as well.
3 persons have voted this message useful

I'm With Stupid
Vietnam
Joined 3933 days ago

165 posts - 349 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Vietnamese

Message 2 of 2
04 November 2013 at 8:51am | IP Logged 
Hi. Welcome to the city. If you go down to the University of Humanities and Social Sciences, they have quite a good book and CD for beginner level Vietnamese in the Southern dialect (presumably they have all of the levels, but I've never got past beginner). It's designed for use in the classroom, but it's fairly easy to use by yourself.
1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version