goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3884 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 33 of 63
06 November 2013 at 3:39pm | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
Is it the level of the languages that determines this of how they were learnt? Could I become "tosproget" by starting Danish now and keeping going until I become (in practice) indistinguishable from a native?

I can't speak for Danish, but I've had this discussion with Swedes (about the cognate "tvåspråkig") and it's definitely a matter of how the language has been learned, not how well.

During my teen years, I often made errors in Swedish that appalled my parents simply because they were the errors of an anglophone. I got perfect scores on my Swedish tests at school, but I often created new words out of English, put English-like suffixes on Swedish words, and I had a tendency to get prepositions wrong. English was, in effect, my strongest language. Few people would have called me "tvåspråkig". Some relatives have, when bragging about me, said in those days that I was practically "tvåspråkig", but that is how far it went. Now, my ex, on the other hand, who had horrible Swedish for someone who'd spent his entire life speaking the language, and apparently much worse Arabic (including being entirely illiterate, not that reading and writing is what matters here),would have been someone people wouldn't hesitate to call "tvåspråkig" because he had two "native" languages.

Edited by eyðimörk on 06 November 2013 at 3:41pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4407 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 34 of 63
06 November 2013 at 4:10pm | IP Logged 
I think we all agree that a child who is heavily exposed to two language environments and can switch effortlessly between them can be classed as bilingual. But it's also possible to reach this position in adulthood.

My wife grew up speaking only German and didn't learn any English (beyond the absolute basics) until she moved to Ireland at the age of 20. After many years residence in English-speaking countries, using the language professionally, academically and socially (including local dialect), she can speak and write at a native level in my opinion. I have heard people class her as bilingual and I wouldn't contradict this.

Leaving aside heritage speakers, people who grew up in bilingual communities and those who a spent a large chunk of their childhood abroad, few British citizens actually reach the stage of being entirely comfortable in an additional language. The situation is more common in Germany, but hardly the norm. Yet once you look at countries like Norway and the Netherlands, you start to find huge numbers of people who speak English to an incredibly high level, many of whom have never lived in an English-speaking society. I don't know how they do it, people say it's down to pop music and TV. Can it really be that simple? Maybe it is. Anyway, it's not unusual at all for a Scandanavian or Dutch person to be "bilingual" going by definitions from larger countries. But I guess that in Norway it's nothing really to brag about, being fluent in English. People would say...tell me something new.

Edited by beano on 06 November 2013 at 4:18pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 35 of 63
06 November 2013 at 4:24pm | IP Logged 
It's down to exposure, cultural standards and use. Many Dutch people don't write as
well as they speak either. I wouldn't class the level of English most Dutch people have
as bilingual - more as competency in English, but I've seen the workings of actually
teaching teenagers in English firsthand - the more exposure they get and the more they
are forced to use that language in the classroom and home environment, the better they
do with it. Almost invariably, those people who speak better English have more exposure
to the language and practice it. Practicing English here doesn't mean you have to
travel abroad (although many of us have and those that have spent extensive time in
English-speaking countries will speak better English as a rule). But those who for even
two or three years had the bigger part of school education in English and who had come
in with a modicum of English already would speak fluently by ANYONE's standards and the
only way to tell that they are foreign are by tracing their accent (which is generally
weaker), as well as the odd word choice here and there. It's really down to the fact
that in the Netherlands often the exposure to English is huge and this exposure has the
corollary that some active practice will mean that this English can activate quickly -
and English is more popular now than 30 years ago. Teenagers now speak much better
English than the generation of babyboomers (who would still need conversational English
classes if they went abroad, though they would understand the grammar).

Even children who do not necessarily grow up speaking English at home may learn it
passively - my brother didn't read English when we returned home but at age 10 or so
(when he started English I think) he had amassed a serious passive ability already and
could recognise many things, even though he was shy to speak it. The reason is that
around our house many things are and have been in English and thus he had the exposure
to it.

In this case, it's really sink or swim - Dutch children cannot get around using English
anymore and thus the expectation culturally has become that some modicum of English
must be present - and it should preferably be quite good.

The other strange story I heard recently is of people arriving as au pairs here to
learn English (???). I talked to a friend recently who did that and I said "what? why?"
and she said it's only old ladies and children who don't speak English.

Which is only half true in my opinion, but it conserves the point - that no English is
a rarity, but that native English among Dutch speakers also is. Most people hover
somewhere in between and tend to have functional commands, which foreigners will take
for fluency because the Dutch tend to have clear, understandable accents with mistakes
that can easily be traced or accounted for.

Which is why Dutch people reserve bilingual (because it usually refers to English) for
someone who speaks this natively because of home environment reasons, or due to growing
up abroad, or whatever. For example, I would be considered bilingual (grew up abroad
and have attended bilingual education) but someone who had just learned English at
school (many of my friends) would not be, even if they are equally as capable of
conversing in English as I am (albeit with a slightly worse accent).

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4488 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 36 of 63
06 November 2013 at 4:46pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
The other strange story I heard recently is of people arriving as au pairs here to
learn English (???). I talked to a friend recently who did that and I said "what? why?"
and she said it's only old ladies and children who don't speak English.

Strange but definitely plausible. When I was studying in Utrecht in 2011, I knew an exchange student from China
who barely spoke English (let alone Dutch). She had chosen to study in the Netherlands because she had heard it
would be a great place to improve her English.

I always felt a bit bad for her because all our classes turned out to be in Dutch, which must have been really
frustrating. But the teachers and most of the students could speak English, so there was this system set up
where she would sit through the Dutch-language classes and then get kind of filled in on what had happened three
hours later at the end of the lesson.

Edited by Hekje on 06 November 2013 at 4:47pm

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4492 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 37 of 63
06 November 2013 at 5:30pm | IP Logged 
It's not unheard of, I agree... but I just find it so counter-intuitive.
1 person has voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4407 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 38 of 63
06 November 2013 at 6:33pm | IP Logged 
I wonder how that would go down in France or Italy? Hi, I'm the new au-pair.....we speak in English, yes?
1 person has voted this message useful

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5119 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 39 of 63
06 November 2013 at 7:16pm | IP Logged 
Actually it makes perfect sense, and I know people who have done that here too. It would be almost like
going to Barcelona to learn Spanish. Yes, Catalan is the main language, but everybody speaks Spanish as
well. In principle the difference should be that here absolutely everyone would have Norwegian as their
mother tongue, whereas in Barcelona a lot of people do not speak Catalan, but given the amount of
foreigners who speak only very basic Norwegian, the difference is smaller than you would think.

And as many have commented on, Scandinavians and the Dutch tend to switch to English the moment they
hear that you are a foreigner anyway.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4488 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 40 of 63
06 November 2013 at 7:49pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
It's not unheard of, I agree... but I just find it so counter-intuitive.

I can see how it would feel that way, but you guys just have a crazy good reputation for speaking English.

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46 7 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version