63 messages over 8 pages: 1 2 3 4 57 8 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4489 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 41 of 63
06 November 2013 at 7:52pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:

And as many have commented on, Scandinavians and the Dutch tend to switch to English the
moment they hear that you are a foreigner anyway.

If their Dutch is very good that would just be patronizing... only if they feel they'll
be better off if I do
2 persons have voted this message useful

Maralol
Nonaglot
France
Joined 4800 days ago

35 posts - 75 votes 
Speaks: Spanish, French*, English, German, Italian, Dutch, Swedish, Portuguese, Catalan
Studies: Polish, Danish, Russian, Mandarin, Japanese

Message 42 of 63
06 November 2013 at 8:51pm | IP Logged 
To me, bilingual = you grow up speaking two languages because they're your native
languages.

3 persons have voted this message useful

dampingwire
Bilingual Triglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4447 days ago

1185 posts - 1513 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian*, French
Studies: Japanese

Message 43 of 63
07 November 2013 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
I can't speak for Danish, but I've had this discussion with Swedes
(about the cognate "tvåspråkig") and it's definitely a matter of how the
language has been learned, not how well.

Reading through the other posts, there are obviously places where this is the case.

So you can describe yourself as bilingual, because you know your own history. But no-
one else can make that assessment (unless you volunteer the information) without
knowing something about your history.

Doesn't that devalue the word somewhat - especially since there are plenty of heritage
speakers who speak one of their native languages a little but (by their own admission)
not very well?

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4404 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 44 of 63
07 November 2013 at 1:18am | IP Logged 
Hekje wrote:
tarvos wrote:
It's not unheard of, I agree... but I just find it so counter-intuitive.

I can see how it would feel that way, but you guys just have a crazy good reputation for speaking English.

But Dutch families don't speak English to each other. Why would they want an au-pair who had no real
intention of using the household language?
1 person has voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4485 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 45 of 63
07 November 2013 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
beano wrote:
Hekje wrote:
tarvos wrote:
It's not unheard of, I agree... but I
just find it so counter-intuitive.

I can see how it would feel that way, but you guys just have a crazy good reputation
for speaking English.

But Dutch families don't speak English to each other. Why would they want an au-pair
who had no real intention of using the household language?

I can't really answer that, as that was a story Tarvos heard, not me. Your guess is
really as good as mine.

I suppose that if both parties can communicate, that's all that matters. Also,
sometimes families actually want their children to practice a foreign language with the
au pair.

Edited by Hekje on 07 November 2013 at 4:19am

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4404 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 46 of 63
07 November 2013 at 9:46am | IP Logged 
Hekje wrote:
beano wrote:
Hekje wrote:
tarvos wrote:
It's not unheard of, I agree... but I
just find it so counter-intuitive.

I can see how it would feel that way, but you guys just have a crazy good reputation
for speaking English.

But Dutch families don't speak English to each other. Why would they want an au-pair
who had no real intention of using the household language?

I can't really answer that, as that was a story Tarvos heard, not me. Your guess is
really as good as mine.

I suppose that if both parties can communicate, that's all that matters. Also,
sometimes families actually want their children to practice a foreign language with the
au pair.

Yeah, I guess in some parts of America you have Spanish-speaking domestic staff. But it just seemed a bit unusual, travelling a long distance to practise English but not going to an English-speaking country. Like going to Cananda to learn French but not heading for Quebec.

Edited by beano on 07 November 2013 at 9:47am

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3881 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 47 of 63
07 November 2013 at 10:50am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
Doesn't that devalue the word somewhat - especially since there are plenty of heritage speakers who speak one of their native languages a little but (by their own admission) not very well?

In my opinion, yes, it does devalue the word. There are people with two half languages (or three or four, when we throw English and a third language in the mix) who are called "bilingual". Meanwhile, many of my classmates from secondary school would not qualify even though they had gone through 12 years of schooling in 100% English immersion schools, and lived in the UK ever since.

I'm not about to get prescriptive here and tell people how they should use the word "tvåspråkig", but yes, it's not necessarily a very useful word for describing language ability. In many situations, it's mostly descriptive of someone's past social environment.

Unless applied to certain situations, of course. Unlike myself, my husband did not do his secondary education entirely in English and did not take English that is equivalent to a UK native A-level. His was a "tvåspråkig utbildning" (bilingual education), that is to say: certain classes were taught in English (even if he teachers weren't always natives). The education can be "tvåspråkig", but no one would ever emerge from either of our educations "tvåspråkig".

Edited by eyðimörk on 07 November 2013 at 10:51am

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 48 of 63
07 November 2013 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
dampingwire wrote:
So you can describe yourself as bilingual, because you know your own history. But no-one else can make that assessment (unless you volunteer the information) without knowing something about your history.
Doesn't that devalue the word somewhat - especially since there are plenty of heritage speakers who speak one of their native languages a little but (by their own admission) not very well?

It doesn't devaluate the notion, but it removes the focus from the level achieved. In Denmark we have had suggestions that the socalled bilingual 2. or 3. generation immigrants really are semilingual, because thy can't even speak one language properly, but mix them. But the consensus here still is to call them bilingual.

This discussion contains 63 messages over 8 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version