Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4021 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 17 of 17
16 November 2013 at 3:20am | IP Logged 
When I was studying (2001-2012), I think, there were two systems of teaching English in school: to start with 2nd (maybe 3rd, maybe 1st) grade or 5th.
For first two grades and about two weeks of third one I was studying in an average school, where kids wasn't bothered by English till 5th grade. Then I had to change school extremely fast and I got to gymnasium. While dealing with required textbooks, I noticed that we will have English, but there was something really strange: we had to buy a textbook for 2nd grade. We thought it was a mistake and decided to wait for actual lesson and there wasn't any: kinds in 3rd grade were using books for 2nd.
Of course, we weren't trying to learn faster, hence 4th grade was with textbooks for 3rd, and then my memory let me down. I can't remember if we switched to second learning system in 5th grade of in 6th, but I'm sure that I have a textbook for 4th grade somewhere.
Eventually we were redirected to usual system and our textbooks in 6th grade were definitely for those who wasn't studying English till 5th grade.
If there wasn't our English teacher (and, sadly, she wasn't with us every year, for our textbook migrations was accompanied with teachers castling), I would forget these years as they were completely useless from the point of using English. But I hope that this was the time when I learned most of irregular verbs, pronunciation and something else that makes learners nervous.
And, yes, I have no idea of how it's going on now. Perhaps, they begin in 1st grade, perhaps in 5th, maybe both options are still being used. One thing for sure: you don't want your kid to learn English as we did.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 17 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version