Brazil
https://twitter.com/Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3836 days ago

1 posts - 1 votes
Speaks: Portuguese*, Spanish
Studies: English

Message 1 of 9
05 November 2013 at 10:40pm | IP Logged 
Hi, listen to music and read the lyrics is a good way to learn?
1 person has voted this message useful

Dominique01
United States
Joined 3836 days ago

5 posts - 7 votes

Message 2 of 9
02 January 2014 at 2:39pm | IP Logged 
I thinks it is a great way! I usually google up the lyrics of a song I like and follow it to make sure I can fully catch the worlds as they are sung. I find that unfamiliar words (which you can always look up the meaning of) stay with me better if they come from a song (I guess that's because you memorize them without any extra effort and they come in a context).
Good luck!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4807 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 3 of 9
02 January 2014 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Of course! It's a great supplement to anything. You can even use it easily for practice on lyricstraining.com when it comes to the few big languages.

fireballtrouble
Triglot
Turkey
Joined 4322 days ago

129 posts - 203 votes 
Speaks: Turkish*, French, English
Studies: German

Message 4 of 9
02 January 2014 at 9:08pm | IP Logged 
I did benefit from it a lot with French. As you'll memorize the songs you like, you'll master oral comprehension little by little.

Zimena
Tetraglot
Groupie
Norway
Joined 4390 days ago

75 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish
Studies: Czech, Mandarin

Message 5 of 9
03 January 2014 at 5:40pm | IP Logged 
Of course it's a good way to learn. I would say that if you enjoy it and it helps you concentrate on the foreign language, then it's obvious that it can also help you in your learning process.

In my opinion, it works like this: If you listen to a song while reading the lyrics, it helps you understand the "musical" patterns of the language - intonation, pronunciation and relationship between the written text and the pronunciation. When you already know the song well, you might have fun trying to read the lyrics out loud (I do this a lot, even with languages I'm not studying or learning). For me this is a way of getting used to saying new sounds and words, and I think it helps in developing one's pronunciation. Oh, and of course lyrics can also be a good way to learn new vocabulary.

I think one thing to remember about lyrics is that they don't always follow the patterns of natural speech, so learning sentences out of songs might not always be useful in communication :) But as I said, I think music and songs lyrics can be useful in many other ways!

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4032 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 6 of 9
03 January 2014 at 6:16pm | IP Logged 
If you became addicted to lyrics and you're eager to understand them - you have a powerful source on your side. Lyrics made me study English more serious than I did before and they also brought me to German.

Edited by Via Diva on 03 January 2014 at 6:17pm

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6395 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 7 of 9
03 January 2014 at 8:44pm | IP Logged 
It's very useful! I wrote an article about that :) As you are still learning English, I can translate some parts into Portuguese for you if they're unclear ;)

For me good music is so important that I can stop learning a language due to that, such as Esperanto unfortunately :/

Zimena
Tetraglot
Groupie
Norway
Joined 4390 days ago

75 posts - 146 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, German, Spanish
Studies: Czech, Mandarin

Message 8 of 9
04 January 2014 at 5:19pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

For me good music is so important that I can stop learning a language due to that, such as Esperanto unfortunately :/

Well, one of my favorite Slovak bands made an album in Esperanto ages ago, so I have at least that one. But you're right that finding good music in that language is not exactly an easy task.

This discussion contains 9 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version