Groupie
FinlandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3838 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 9 of 15
25 November 2013 at 9:56am | IP Logged 
Yesterday I got to use "esimerkiksi" in conversation, although silly, it actually made me quite happy. I had a relatively long conversation in which I was asking if I could show a website, and then went on to describe the features of the website. Most of the words came to me reasonably quickly though there were a few that took too long, still, given that I don't speak so often I was pleased.

I was also able to understand a vast amount of spoken Swedish, this made me quite happy as previously I was fine with written but hopeless with spoken.
My vocab is increasing slowly but surely, so I hope to be at the 5k marker in the not too distant future.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Chris13
Groupie
Joined 3838 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 

Message 10 of 15
29 November 2013 at 10:03am | IP Logged 
I've recently managed to include more Swedish in my studies and I'm always surprised by how much I remember even without paying too much attention to it.

With Finnish I've recently forced myself to focus on mastering a certain number of verbs. I don't really know how many I know currently, it's quite a lot but seemingly not really enough to comfortably watch television.
I started making flash cards with the root verb and then conjugations in present and future. I'm not doing these for every pronoun though, so I'm only focusing on first person.

Does anybody have any advice on the best way to learn verbs in various conjugated forms? The rules stay more or less the same but sometimes a letter or two can be added to break these rules. I can't really conjugate everything as I'd end up with a silly number of words for only a few verbs.

The verbs I've currently selected are extracted from the list of the ten thousand most frequently used words. I extracted the first 500 verbs from the list and am doing it alongside various adjectives, etc.

Overall I'm quite pleased with my progress and I do find quite often that words I have recently learned will show up on Idols, Salutat, and various other shows. I just need to keep on trying to use them in spoken Finnish to really cement them in my mind.
1 person has voted this message useful

Chris13
Groupie
Joined 3838 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 

Message 11 of 15
03 December 2013 at 11:11am | IP Logged 
I had some very encouraging praise yesterday so I thought I'd note it her for when times get tough. I was in the car with my fiancé, she was driving and it was snowing very heavily at the time so had to have utmost concentration on the road. Her phone then began to ring, it was her mum so asked me to answer it. Her mum doesn't speak English so we talked in Finnish, not only did I understand everything, relaying messages to my fiancé, answering her mum etc, but for some reason I was able to reply very quickly without even thinking.

The weird thing was, I didn't even notice how easily I dealt with everything. It was only after that my fiancé commented on how well I did and that she is proud of my continued progress that I thought about it and realised.

So it seems that although my level is strange, and some things I should know I just don't still, on the other hand some complex things that I shouldn't know at my level I do.

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 12 of 15
03 December 2013 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
Kuulostaa tosi hyvältä! :)

Chris13
Groupie
Joined 3838 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 

Message 13 of 15
10 January 2014 at 12:25pm | IP Logged 
Kiitos paljon, Serpeant!

Okay, well this has been neglected seeing as I didn't have internet access for a little while. I continue to make progress all the time even if it is miniscule steps at times.

What I'm currently finding a little annoying is when I hear stuff like "Totta mooses" I instantly become curious, only to find that when I pose the question "What does that mean, exactly?" True..what? I just get it's just a saying, I don't know how to explain it to you. This has happened with a few sayings, though if someone asked me what an English saying means I'd at least give them some information or a rough meaning if it was a particularly difficult saying to explain.

It just feels like sometimes people aren't willing to try a little to help you better your learning, even if you are helping them.

I'll be more active here now that I have the internet again, I'll probably post more on Monday.

Chris13
Groupie
Joined 3838 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 

Message 14 of 15
17 January 2014 at 11:07am | IP Logged 
On Wednesday I had to have my hair cut, it had grown too long for my liking and I used to be quite fussy with how it looked anyway. The reason I fear having my hair cut mostly is that, even in England, I'd only ever go to the same place because I trusted my hairdresser and knew her well.
In Finland I don't know any particular hairdresser that well, not to mention that Finnish hair "styles" are vastly different to what I'm used to. Still, speaking in Finnish I attempted to describe how I wanted my hair to look, lengh, colour and style.
I had previously had my hair cut in Finland once before, but I wasn't alone that time and had help conveying my wishes. This time I was alone.

The last time my hair ended up waaay to short, it's as if bangs are not permitted to exist. Still, I conveyed my wishes to the hairdresser and things were going okay, but again, she automatically became fixated on cutting my bangs, coming back to them and cutting more off, till it got to the point where they had pretty much been completely removed.

Overall I was quite pleased with how I managed to converse bearing in mind that I don't talk about hair usually, and I actually had to check a few words before leaving to make sure I could conjugate them how I wanted. My hair resembles what I wanted, just a bit short on the sides, plus she somehow went for a streak of red across the middle of the back of my head and not a few inches up from the bottom, as I'd usually have.

Seeing as this has apparently become a hair essay, I'll switch to talking about vocab. I think the main difference in my Finnish isn't really the quantity but more the speed. I can mostly think of what I want to say, and reply reasonably quickly, even if it was out of the blue. In England I'm used people addressing me, either by my name or a nick name, here it seems that mostly you just ask the question, even if there are a lot of people in the room.

I've not used memrise in quite a while but I do plan to return to it and continue creating the course I started making before Christmas. I'll also continue the courses I started with a while ago.

Chris13
Groupie
Joined 3838 days ago

53 posts - 64 votes 

Message 15 of 15
09 April 2014 at 2:57pm | IP Logged 
Well, after my split with my fiancé of three years, partner for five. I have found it hard to stay as enthusiastic about Finnish as I would like.
I do not want to stop learning Finnish, it would be a huge waste and only I would suffer from it, besides I like Finnish. I'm proud to have learned as much as I have and wish to one day become fluent in it. It will happen, and I probably will end up living in Finland at some point in my life. I liked the way of living there, most of the culture etc.

Still, my log stopped its consistency a while back. To quickly summarise things as they currently stand. I returned to the UK, enrolled back on the Sunday school for Finnish - one two hour lesson every two weeks - so it's not much at all, unfortunately, but it enables me to keep some focus when memories become too unbearable to deal with.

I have also decided to take on another language, so while for the moment I'll be mainly keeping my vocab on track, speaking and writing practise when possible. I have some penpals that I've already written to purely in Finnish.
I will be attempting to teach myself Polish, as best as I can. I'll be focusing on Memrise but this time I'm hoping to try and practise writing in my TL as soon as possible.

So, in other words, just to warn you, expect some laughably basic Polish sentences from me in my log. I'll be writing these reasonably regularly as soon as I feel I have enough words to use.

I will probably write similar in Finnish but my Finnish is better, so this might not be as embarrassing for me, or whoever reads this.

Update over.

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version