Register  Login  Active Topics  Maps  

B2 Passive \ B1 Speaking - Basic Fluency?

Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
21 messages over 3 pages: 1 2 3  Next >>
DaraghM
Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5938 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 21
07 November 2013 at 11:39am | IP Logged 
With regards to this forum’s categories, do you think a passive ability at B2 or even C1, but a speaking ability around B1, is Basic Fluency ? I’m just basing this on some of the self assessments in the Dead Honest Language CV thread. Personally, I think it is, but I’m wondering other peoples opinion. We previously agreed B2 was Basic Fluency, but we never made the active\passive divide.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 2 of 21
07 November 2013 at 11:49am | IP Logged 
Please, not another debate on what is "fluency"!

You are fluent in a language when you can speak it fluently. This may or may not coincide with a certain CEFR level or the insane definition of "basic fluency" as proposed by our forum admin.

I really see no point in reactivating this debate every two months.

Edited by Josquin on 07 November 2013 at 11:52am

6 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 21
07 November 2013 at 12:14pm | IP Logged 
More or less, yes. At least in terms of exams, a B2 involving presentations or debates is overkill when we're speaking of basic fluency.

Josquin, nobody is forcing you to reply, especially if you don't like the forum's categories.

And no, you can't say you're fluent in language X just because you speak it with fluency. And if you say you speak fluently it's better to clarify.

Edited by Serpent on 07 November 2013 at 12:16pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 4 of 21
07 November 2013 at 12:32pm | IP Logged 
If you speak it fluently, I think it's safe to say you're fluent - most people have
speaking as one of their weaker skills, not one of their better ones, unless their
listening and speaking are very skewed towards speaking being much better(it happens but
it's rare). The opposite is much more common.

For what it's worth I think that would be roundabout where fluency starts.

Edited by tarvos on 07 November 2013 at 12:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 5 of 21
07 November 2013 at 12:34pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Josquin, nobody is forcing you to reply, especially if you don't like the forum's categories.

And no, you can't say you're fluent in language X just because you speak it with fluency. And if you say you speak fluently it's better to clarify.

I hope I'm entitled to my own opinion whether it conforms to the forum's categories or not. And if so, I hope I'm also entitled to utter this opinion.

Furthermore, if the term "fluency" is not derived from speaking a language fluently, where does it come from? I'm not a fan of overcomplicating matters, so why not say it clearly if you can? I don't see any need for saying "I'm A2 at speaking, but I can read at B2 level" when talking about fluency. Fluency is per definitionem the ability to speak and interact, so let's keep things simple.

Edited by Josquin on 07 November 2013 at 1:38pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 6 of 21
07 November 2013 at 12:57pm | IP Logged 
Speaking fluently is not the same as speaking well. Someone who completes Pimsleur will speak with fluency and have a good pronunciation, but their vocabulary will be very limited and grammar even more so.
4 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 7 of 21
07 November 2013 at 1:21pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Speaking fluently is not the same as speaking well. Someone who
completes Pimsleur will speak with fluency and have a good pronunciation, but their
vocabulary will be very limited and grammar even more so.

If someone has vocabulary holes the size of planets that will eventually show.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4631 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 

Message 8 of 21
07 November 2013 at 1:24pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Speaking fluently is not the same as speaking well. Someone who completes Pimsleur will speak with fluency and have a good pronunciation, but their vocabulary will be very limited and grammar even more so.

You're deliberately misinterpreting the term "fluent". How can someone with a limited vocabulary speak fluently? I was not talking about reciting memorized phrases, but being able to hold a natural conversation.

This discussion contains 21 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version