16 messages over 2 pages: 1
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4466 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 9 of 16
07 November 2013 at 5:33pm | IP Logged 
aspiringplyglot wrote:
Perhaps not losing the language but fluency in terms of how you
can produce the language without too many stumbles or pauses can deteriorate very
quickly, I believe. I've got a Spanish friend who passed the CAE and shortly after
returned to Spain for a month. When she came back it took her at least 3 or 4 days to get
back into the swing of things... and that was just a month without English. If that were
2 or 3 years for example, it could/would take longer than a couple of days to build that
back up.

That's not such a big deal anyways. A bit of time to "settle in" is normal.
1 person has voted this message useful

Ogrim
Heptaglot
France
Joined 4398 days ago

991 posts - 1896 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, English, Spanish, French, Romansh, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Catalan, Latin, Greek, Romanian

Message 10 of 16
07 November 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
I work in Human Resources for an international orgnaisation, so what I have to say may not be applicable generally, but basically when we recruit we don't pay much attention to whether candidates have a language certification or not. Obviously linguistic competencies are very important, we recruit from a large number of countries and everyone has to work in the official working languages, French and English. In the application form candidates have to make a self-assessment based on CEFR. Then they sit written tests which they will do in one or both official languages, and obviously their linguistic skills are tested at the interview.

On the other hand, we do encourage staff who are already working here to go for a language certification in English or French if they are interested, and we pay the fee for them. The reason for this is that it encourages people to work on improving their language skills, something which the organisation will benefit from as well.
2 persons have voted this message useful

albysky
Triglot
Italy
lang-8.com/1108796Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4147 days ago

287 posts - 393 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English, German

Message 11 of 16
08 November 2013 at 9:52am | IP Logged 
I come to the conclusion that much depends on the company and the recruiters . Fure certifications arent
harmful .

Lorren
United States
brookelorren.com/blo
Joined 4010 days ago

286 posts - 324 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Spanish, Danish, Irish
Studies: Russian

Message 12 of 16
08 November 2013 at 10:20am | IP Logged 
It probably depends on the job, and perhaps even the demand for the job. When I worked in the Navy, I did some hiring (this was for positions in Italy working with Americans). I would get a ton of applications for one position. I had to figure out a way to whittle down the amount of people that I interviewed. One of the criteria that I used was the ability to use the English language. If their resume had a lot of English mistakes, they wouldn't get an interview. If they had an English certification, they were more likely to get an interview.

I didn't know anything about CEFR levels at the time, so I can't exactly say that a CEFR certificate would make it more likely to get an interview. However, if you some sort of English qualification or education, it would help a person get the interview. I would get so many applications that I probably never interviewed anybody that didn't have something on their resume saying that they were proficient in English.

Edited by Lorren on 08 November 2013 at 10:20am

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5093 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 13 of 16
08 November 2013 at 1:45pm | IP Logged 
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Considering the time and effort spent on the language to reach C2, and then to take
an exam and pass it, I think that person is unlikely to forget the language?

For once I must disagree with you. I have seen both Swedes and Norwegians being unable to speak their
mother tongue at a comprehensible level after a couple of decades in the US, so I am perfectly willing to
believe that you can lose your functionality in a language you once were at a C2 level at. Plus I have had the
personal experience of losing a language I was practically native in, and had a 4 year university education in
for 6 full months due to language interference, so anything is possible.

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 08 November 2013 at 1:47pm

nicozerpa
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4085 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 14 of 16
08 November 2013 at 3:02pm | IP Logged 
aspiringplyglot wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:

What does CAE equal in terms of CEFR?

I believe it's C1

As far as I know, it depends on your score. If you get an A, you'll be issued a C2
certificate, and C1 if you passed the exam with B or C grades.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4587 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 15 of 16
08 November 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
jeff_lindqvist wrote:
Considering the time and effort spent
on the language to reach C2, and then to take
an exam and pass it, I think that person is unlikely to forget the language?

For once I must disagree with you. I have seen both Swedes and Norwegians being unable
to speak their
mother tongue at a comprehensible level after a couple of decades in the US, so I am
perfectly willing to
believe that you can lose your functionality in a language you once were at a C2 level
at. Plus I have had the
personal experience of losing a language I was practically native in, and had a 4 year
university education in
for 6 full months due to language interference, so anything is possible.

But do people in that situation really lose it, or is it still there, waiting to be re-
activated under the right circumstances?

I ask semi-rhetorically.

It might make a nice research project.

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4424 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 16 of 16
08 November 2013 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
I had the interesting experience of watching a native speaker's French "come back" after
fifteen years of more or less complete disuse (living in the U.S. and never traveling
back to France). More recently-displaced French people still remark that he has an
"American" or at least non-French accent, but he at least now speaks as fluently as the
other French people I know.

Edited by tastyonions on 08 November 2013 at 6:30pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 16 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version