70 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 35 6 7 ... 4 ... 8 9 Next >>
tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 25 of 70
27 December 2013 at 11:27am | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
beano wrote:
ScottScheule wrote:
beano wrote:
So what would be a
good percentage strike rate to aim for?

In what? In discussion? In writing? On Anki?

I meant in general discussion. I accept that fact that I'll always make gender errors
because my brain isn't a computer and I'm not prepared to spend countless hours poring
over lists of words. I think 80% would be reasonable figure. I think there has to come
a point when it's more rewarding to learn new words rather than trying to perfect the
genders of the ones you already know.

For instance, I know that knife, fork and spoon are das Messer, die Gabel and der
Loeffel respectively, but I can't remember the gender of a cooker. I know the word is
Herd, and I can use that. But I'd just have to guess the gender in conversation (I know
it has to be der or das because you can talk about standing hinter dem Herd)

I beg to differ, and with all due respect @beano. To say that a strike rate of 80% is
acceptable is to say that one in five nouns and all the attendant morphological
constraints can be wrong. This might be the reality of many speakers, but I for one do
not think that it is acceptable. I don't believe that speaking a language badly is
acceptable. Sure, we all make mistakes but we should not aim to be content with 80%
accuracy in our target language. We should strive for 99% accuracy.

I am, of course, aware of the enormity of the task of mastering a grammatical gender
system. But here is where I believe strongly in mastering totally a small(er) number of
words instead of making mistakes with a larg(er) number. In other words, use the small
number perfectly (as possible) and creatively rather than show off your imperfect
knowledge with a large number of words.

When I speak of mastering a small number of words, some people who shall remain
nameless, here at HTLAL, get all worked up and claim that I believe that one should aim
to learn 300 and none more. That is not what I am saying, but I don't want to debate
that red herring now.

The main point here is that you should aim for total or native-like accuracy with what
you have before venturing on to other things that you cannot use properly.

I MADE MISTAKES, WORLD WENT UNDER
2 persons have voted this message useful

josepablo
Tetraglot
Portugal
Joined 3777 days ago

123 posts - 141 votes 
Speaks: German, Spanish, Dutch, Portuguese
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Turkish

Message 26 of 70
27 December 2013 at 4:08pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:

I MADE MISTAKES, WORLD WENT UNDER

No need to shout.
3 persons have voted this message useful

s_allard
Triglot
Canada
Joined 5217 days ago

2704 posts - 5425 votes 
Speaks: French*, English, Spanish
Studies: Polish

Message 27 of 70
27 December 2013 at 4:45pm | IP Logged 
For those people who are seriously interested in the subject at hand and are not given to childishness and shouting, there are plenty of excellent papers on the Internet about the acquisition of grammatical gender, such as this outstanding one.

psych.stanford.edu/~michael/papers/Arnon_granularity.pdf

As you will see in the abstract below, the author emphasizes the importance of leaning gender in context, i.e. surrounded by the morphological markings of the agreement system. This is contrasted with learning just words and their gender.

"Why do adult language learners typically fail to acquire second languages with native proficiency? Does prior linguistic experience influence the size of the ‘‘units’’ adults attend to in learning, and if so, how does this influence what gets learned? Here, we examine these questions in relation to grammatical gender, which adult learners almost invariably struggle to master. We present a model of learning that predicts that exposure to smaller units (such as nouns) before exposure to larger linguistic units (such as sentences) can critically impair learning about predictive relations between units: such as that between a noun and its article. This prediction is then confirmed by a study of adult participants learning grammatical gender in an artificial language. Adults learned both nouns and their articles better when they were first heard nouns used in context with their articles prior to hearing the
nouns individually, compared with learners who first heard the nouns in isolation, prior to hearing them used in context. In the light of these results, we discuss the role gender appears to play in language, the importance of meaning in artificial grammar learning,and the implications of this work for the structure of L2-training."

Edited by s_allard on 27 December 2013 at 5:04pm

5 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 28 of 70
27 December 2013 at 7:04pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
For those people who are seriously interested in the subject at hand
and are not given to childishness and shouting

If you don't want me to shout and make childish jokes, you ought to be taken seriously
first ;)
2 persons have voted this message useful

Bakunin
Diglot
Switzerland
outerkhmer.blogspot.
Joined 4917 days ago

531 posts - 1126 votes 
Speaks: German*, Thai
Studies: Khmer

Message 29 of 70
27 December 2013 at 7:56pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
s_allard wrote:
For those people who are seriously interested in the subject at hand
and are not given to childishness and shouting

If you don't want me to shout and make childish jokes, you ought to be taken seriously
first ;)

I find s_allard's contribution to the discussion interesting and thoughtful. We all have different experiences, views and predilections, and a comment that seems useless to one person may be useful for somebody else. It's perfectly fine to disagree. Nobody likes to be ridiculed, though, and I would really appreciate it if you, tarvos, reacted to s_allard's comments in a respectful manner.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6384 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 30 of 70
27 December 2013 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The fundamental problem of learning how to master grammatical gender systems is learning how to keep in mind or keep track of the gender of the head word or the antecedent. It's similar, albeit more complex, to learning how to use pronouns and even grammatical number in the sense that you have to always refer back to the antecedent. From my little understanding of German, the placement of verbs at the end of sentences forces the speaker to keep track of the necessary information for the proper verb form.
Unlike Spanish or Russian, in German the verb carries no information about the gender. (Not sure if that's what you are saying but it sounded like that)
1 person has voted this message useful

schoenewaelder
Diglot
Germany
Joined 5347 days ago

759 posts - 1197 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish, Dutch

Message 31 of 70
28 December 2013 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
s_allard wrote:
The fundamental problem of grammatical gender isn't assignment per se, it's gender agreement along
the sentence. Getting the gender wrong of a word by itself is really not a big deal. What really strikes the ear is
making an adjective + noun agreement mistake - among others.

The only time I have been corrected by a Tandem parter with regard to gender was on adjective agreement, but I suspect it was probably because I completely left the ending off, and adding anything (-e, -en, -er) would have created the correct rythm to the sentence. (and adjectives without endings sound like adverbs)

That may be the case in French, where making things feminine usually adds at least one extra syllable to the sentence.

mrwarper
Diglot
Winner TAC 2012
Spain
forum_posts.asp?TID=Registered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5013 days ago

1493 posts - 2500 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2
Studies: German, Russian, Japanese

Message 32 of 70
29 December 2013 at 12:50pm | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
Or how few :) Nobody is happy with how many mistakes they make :D

Sometimes you just gotta love this forum :)

BTW, a word of warning: the forum has skipped sending me notifications about this and some other threads *for a while* again, and then just went back to normal, sending me the due notifications plus a few more. I know this belongs in the tech room but I don't see generalized complaining, so I'll leave it at that.

Serpent wrote:
Unlike Spanish or Russian, in German the verb carries no information about the gender. (Not sure if that's what you are saying but it sounded like that)

Spanish does that only in the passive participle. If you meant something else, please educate me.

Anyway, wrt to numbers I always advice to be careful. I've made my own research and experiments in very restricted yet related fields and I wouldn't be very surprised if when counting properly (a huge problem in itself) we got the result that good speakers do 99.7% or more and 'bad' foreign ones may go down to 'just' 99% before severe communications problems appear, or something like that.

Normally I wouldn't mind comments in the vein of "just go ahead and make mistakes", but I've come to think how this can be harmful for newbies that may take such statements at face value and lock themselves in a happy-go-lucky blabbering for a long time, so I'd like to add something. The way I see it, there's only two good things about making mistakes: 1) losing fear of making them --which leads to an even less desirable communication breakdown--, and 2) eventually eliciting corrections. As long as communication keeps going, mistakes are only hurdles and thus the less they are made, the better, and proper study will avoid lots of them from the very beginning.

@s_allard, that paper looks interesting indeed, but what I read in the abstract is that learning article + noun seems context enough for the author ("learned both nouns and their articles better [...] nouns used in context with their articles prior to hearing the nouns individually"), which is the way I always learned/was taught nouns in German, and is precisely learning just words and their gender.

I can only see how more context would help if gender could be erroneously deduced from the noun morphology, i.e. if a noun looks feminine but it is masculine, then masculine adjectives and such in addition to the masculine article might help to reinforce that 'looks vs. is' notion, but they seem unnecessary to me otherwise.

This discussion contains 70 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version