Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5933 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 1 of 12
08 November 2013 at 1:29pm | IP Logged 
Teach Yourself have revised a number of their more popular courses to use their “Discover Method”. From what I can tell, the courses are essentially the same as the previous volume, but with a lower page count. I don’t think they revised the audio in the majority of cases. Has anyone used any of the most recent courses using their “Discover Method” ? What is it exactly, apart from a marketing ploy ?
1 person has voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4610 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 2 of 12
08 November 2013 at 6:17pm | IP Logged 
Do they also come in even bigger boxes than before (filled mostly with air)?

2 persons have voted this message useful

sabotai
United States
Joined 5664 days ago

391 posts - 489 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Japanese, Korean, French

Message 3 of 12
08 November 2013 at 9:30pm | IP Logged 
On Amazon, I got a look at the first chapter of Teach Yourself Complete Spanish (2013) and compared it to the first chapter of my 2007 edition (the edition prior to Complete). It looks to cut out in the middle of the chapter, but the dialogs are the same, the exercises are the same, the grammar explanations are the same.   The only differences I saw was the chapter started with a bit about regions in Spain which is not in my book. It also includes items off the CEFL qualifications, specifically stating what abilities in levels A1, A2, B1, etc. you'll be taught in the chapter. That's about it. The "Discovery Method" looks like it's just rebranding their already existing method.

Another piece of info. On Amazon's site, the "Kindle Edition with Video/Audio" is only for the latest version of the Kindle Fire (and HD) and iOS devises. It won't work on 1st Gen Fires or regular Kindles. Just an FYI. They're getting a lot of negative reviews from people with older Kindles who missed that part.

Edited by sabotai on 08 November 2013 at 9:33pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 4 of 12
10 November 2013 at 1:23pm | IP Logged 
I can verify that the Kindle Editions with audio and video don't work on a Kindle Fire HD (which is 2nd gen). They might work on the new gen just coming out, but I haven't seen evidence of that. It was made for iPad.

Indíritheach
United States
Joined 3827 days ago

108 posts - 146 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Irish, French

Message 5 of 12
10 November 2013 at 3:36pm | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
Do they also come in even bigger boxes than before (filled mostly with air)?

Thank you for making me laugh out loud this morning, after 2 grueling hours of language study.

Although I have to say, Teach Yourself Irish Grammar is pretty good. But I got it used for about $3, and it didn't come in a box.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4610 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 6 of 12
10 November 2013 at 5:17pm | IP Logged 
Indíritheach wrote:
montmorency wrote:
Do they also come in even bigger boxes than
before (filled mostly with air)?

Thank you for making me laugh out loud this morning, after 2 grueling hours of language
study.

Although I have to say, Teach Yourself Irish Grammar is pretty good. But I got
it used for about $3, and it didn't come in a box.

I've also heard good reports of the corresponding book for Welsh grammar. I don't like
to knock them too hard, as they were sort of pioneers in the idea of self-learning (not
just of languages).

I suppose they had to update their "reliable but dull" image in this competitive field.
It's a pity it seems to have been done in a way that does not really benefit language
learners and seems designed to suck in the unwary.

It would be interesting to have the views of a guru (e.g. Professor Arguelles) on
whether the TYS "Discovery Method" is anything more than marketing.

The current Wikipedia article on TYS mentions it briefly:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teach_You
rself

Quote:

In their 2012 range, Teach Yourself introduced a feature called Discovery Method. After
each conversation has been practiced, the Discovery Method provides further explanation
through focusing on usage and practice rather than the focus on rules found in the
traditional inductive method.
The Teach Yourself Languages range is available in print, audio and CD packs, e-books,
enhanced e-books (which utilize multimedia to enhance the learning experience), and
will soon be launched as a series of apps for smart devices.

EDIT: a marketing video:

http://vimeo.com/33958390

Edited by montmorency on 10 November 2013 at 5:24pm

4 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4610 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 7 of 12
10 November 2013 at 6:05pm | IP Logged 
By the way, has anyone used the "Perfect Your..." series of TYS books?

It is supposed to come after "Complete ..." in the language level, but I can only find
versions in the big four West European languages, namely French, German, Spanish and
Italian.

[Cynic]Maybe they've just packaged up the grammar and vocabulary that got squeezed out
of the older courses in order to make them more "popular".[/Cynic]

:-)

Jeffers
United Kingdom
Joined 4691 days ago

2151 posts - 3960 votes 
Studies: Hindi, Ancient Greek, French, Sanskrit, German

Message 8 of 12
14 November 2013 at 8:18am | IP Logged 
montmorency wrote:
By the way, has anyone used the "Perfect Your..." series of TYS books?

It is supposed to come after "Complete ..." in the language level, but I can only find
versions in the big four West European languages, namely French, German, Spanish and
Italian.

[Cynic]Maybe they've just packaged up the grammar and vocabulary that got squeezed out
of the older courses in order to make them more "popular".[/Cynic]

:-)

If you look at the "Perfect Your..." courses, there is some overlap with the "Complete" courses, and in the case of French it is a different author. So I think they aren't just the "leftovers". In fact, I personally plan on getting Perfect Your French to use after Assimil, having avoided Teach Yourself French completely.

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version