Diglot
Ireland
Joined 5932 days ago

1947 posts - 2923 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: French, Russian, Hungarian

Message 9 of 12
14 November 2013 at 9:47am | IP Logged 
I’ve used both Perfect courses for French and Spanish. The textbooks are fine if a little basic for an advanced course, but the audio is dreadful. There is far too much English on the audio. It feels like they expanded one CD worth of recordings into two, by padding it with inane instructions. This is the case for both the Perfect courses I’ve tried.
4 persons have voted this message useful

mick33
United States
Joined 5705 days ago

1335 posts - 1632 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Finnish
Studies: Thai, Polish, Afrikaans, Hindi, Hungarian, Italian, Spanish, Swedish

Message 10 of 12
16 November 2013 at 10:32am | IP Logged 
Interesting, I have never used the Perfect Your "_____" courses before and I don't think I will as I already think the regular Teach Yourself courses have far too much English. This "Discover Method" doesn't look like it's a worthwhile change so I may have to think about not buying the newest Teach Yourself courses.

Edited by mick33 on 16 November 2013 at 10:34am

2 persons have voted this message useful

haziz
Bilingual Triglot
United States
Joined 3643 days ago

28 posts - 37 votes
Speaks: Arabic (Written), Arabic (Egyptian)*, English*
Studies: Spanish

Message 11 of 12
09 May 2014 at 12:51pm | IP Logged 
I too found it a bit confusing when I looked at what ultimately proved to be two editions of Teach Yourself Latin
American Spanish by Juan Kattan-Ibarra, namely a second and third editions of the same book. They are poorly
labelled on the Teach Yourself website and very poorly labelled on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1444192647/ref=oh_details_o 02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-Latin-American-Spanish-Audio/ dp/0071750649/ref=sr_1_16?
s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1399629019&sr=1-16

I ultimately purchased both; it turns out the first link is a new edition (the third) of the text. Fortunately the
changes are substantial enough to make me feel not cheated. There is now a greater emphasis on fairly useful
exercises and a self discovery of the language, which of course TY is now calling their "Discovery Method"; while
their earlier text had large swathes of grammar explanations and cultural background in English. The new book is
a little shorter but with a tighter emphasis on self discovery of the target language. I really doubt it would get me
to intermediate mastery of the language however, as it claims. It is more of beginners Spanish with an emphasis
on travel needs.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Expugnator
Hexaglot
Brazil
Joined 4947 days ago

3335 posts - 4349 votes 
Speaks: Portuguese*, Norwegian, French, English, Italian, Papiamento
Studies: Mandarin, Georgian, Russian

Message 12 of 12
09 May 2014 at 6:28pm | IP Logged 
Apart from 'Perfect your' there were also 'Further' and 'Improve your'. I took a look at the last two, they seemed different and useful, but I don't think it's worth doing more textbook study on German anyway, if my focus is just on using the language.

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 12 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version