Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 67
08 November 2013 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Now my definition of a language on my radar is a language I do not study today, and may not know a single
word of, but that still holds my interest and is a potential future language - it may also be a language I have
already studied before. A language I would probably have or try to get some study material for. A Christmas
wish list for the languages I would like to study if someone granted me an extra life or two, or a full time job as
a language learner. In the thread about who you would like to meet on the forum, Chung said he and I did not
share any languages, but when I read his log I realised that a lot of the languages he does are on my radar.

And do you know the nice thing about languages that are on your radar? That it is equal footing for everyone
regardless of how many languages you have under your belt. :-) This is the stuff which dreams are made off.
Very democratic:-)

Greek: In theory one of my focus languages this year, but unfortunately I have forgotten everything. Will learn
it some time though. I know I will. Have got Assimil, Pimsleur and Michel Thomas ++
Turkish: Did a little bit a couple of years ago. Liked the language and the people. Have got TY ++
Arabic: Did it a bit 35 years ago. Have got TY since I thought I would be going to Tunis last year, which I
didn't.
Polish: Did it 20 years ago but the materials I have are ancient. Cassette tape ancient. Will get back to that
though.
Ukrainian: have TY, Assimil, Talkmore ++
Slovak: Have Colloquial Slovak - would like to learn it to complement what I hope will once be my other Slavic
languages.
Hebrew: Loved it once - will come back to it. No present century language material.
Swahili: Bought an Assimil course when I thought I would be going to the Seyschelles. Doubt that I ever will
now, but it would still be cool to learn it.
Dutch: Have a couple of very old courses from 20 years back- might get back to it. Some native material.
Portuguese: No courses, never done it, but I still hear the siren call. Have a few regular books in it.
Mongolian: Have Colloquial Mongolian which I bought before going to Mongolia last year - would be very
interesting to learn. Not entirely sure that I will though. It was way more difficult than Russian. I was not even
able to learn:" Where is the toilet".
Mandarin: Have Assimil, Pimsleur, Michel Thomas, Rosetta Stone and a heap of other beginner material for
it. Will learn a bit at some point. No idea of when.
Japanese: have Assimil, Pimsleur and Michel Thomas. Must learn a bit some time.
Kasakhstani: A few pages of one phrase book and a couple of Internet links. Want to learn the very basics.
Uzbek: Ditto.
Turkmenistani: Ditto without the Internet resources.
Icelandic: Have TY++ and some native material plus 50 native speakers in my family. Unfortunately I only
know 5 of them, but I get Icelandic on my Facebook feed regularly.

Am trying not to get interested in Slovenian, BCMS and Rumanian.

So: What shows up on your radar?

Edited by Solfrid Cristin on 08 November 2013 at 11:23pm

9 persons have voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4494 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 2 of 67
08 November 2013 at 11:21pm | IP Logged 
Basically every other language on this planet, so I'll keep it short...

Icelandic: should be studying it and speaking it already, but keep not being able to
devote my full attention to it (which sucks - it's so beautiful). In 2014, I promise
you, Icelandic my love. Have materials, have been to Iceland and can actually say some
phrases.
Mandarin: Because one day I have to speak Mandarin. I have the Assimil for this one.
Portuguese/Spanish/Italian: I can pick them up quickly anyways. I have material for the
first two of these. Actually I have uttered a few phrases of all of these at some point
but I just don't know the grammar. I need to sit down, study either of them for some
months and then I'll probably speak it.
BCMS: I have a Russian textbook for this, an FSI course, a friend from Bosnia, and an
uncle with a Serbian partner. I could learn this one fairly quickly too I think, and it
is a toss-up between this one and Czech for my next Slavic language.
Czech: I have been there and want a west Slavic language on my resume at some
point...no materials
Swahili: Have an FSI course. That is about it. I need to study an African language, my
guess is it will be Swahili.
Malagasy: Because I want to travel the jungles of Madagascar one day. I have Assimil
for this one.
Irish: Because I want to travel the green fields of Ireland one day.
Finnish: Suomi finland metal perkele etc. For old times sake, and for metal music's
sake.
Tagalog: Because I want to travel in the Philippines
Ancient Greek and Modern Greek: I count Greeks among my best friends and will have the
opportunity to visit again. Only if I speak better Greek than they do I will probably
be the most annoying person éver. Ancient Greek because I wanted to study it at school
but it was never offered.
Arabic: Only the Levantine variety. Just to get the other side of the equation in
Israel. I already have gone for Hebrew of course.
Farsi: I like Iranians, and count a few among my friends.
Japanese: well. Japanese. is cool.

3 persons have voted this message useful

KidRoberts
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3922 days ago

19 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Afrikaans

Message 3 of 67
09 November 2013 at 12:10am | IP Logged 
Arabic - Perhaps after Farsi
Greenlandic - Just because
Finnish - I'd like to go there one day
Japanese - I respect the Japanese for some reason
Hebrew - Respect the Israelis/read Israeli newspapers
Afrikaans - I'd love to visit SA one day
Swedish - So I can talk to my Swedish friends in...O_O...Swedish
Cajun French - My great-grandfather was Cajun
Danish - So I can watch Flammen y Citronen without subtitles
Indonesian - Uhh...no idea
Russian - It's such a neat language

1 person has voted this message useful

MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5043 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 4 of 67
09 November 2013 at 12:27am | IP Logged 
Great thread, Solfrid. Depending on the day, I may want to spend the rest of my life engrossed in Chinese and Spanish, or I may want to branch out. In any case, I think I'll be happy with my level in these two languages in a few years and I'll decide then. On days that I dream about studying other languages, the following interest me more than most:

Arabic: I feel like the Arab world will be the cradle of most of the interesting events that happen in my lifetime, and I would like to get the perspective of the people living through those events. On the other hand, my primary study technique is reading a lot, and the diglossia seems to add an extra dimension that I may not cope with well.

German: If I learn a 4th language, it will probably be German. I am very interested in the philosophy from Germans.

Swahili: One of my favorite things about language learning is seeing the world from a different perspective, and being able to read African literature fascinates me.

Ancient Greek and Latin: I feel like I will spend my retirement on these two languages.

sillygoose1
Tetraglot
United States
Joined 4423 days ago

566 posts - 814 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French
Studies: German, Latin

Message 5 of 67
09 November 2013 at 12:28am | IP Logged 
Danish + Swedish - Tons of matching books and audio for LR, Scandinavian movies are awesome, and I'd like to work in either country one day. I've done a bit of Assimil Swedish before, and although the pronunciation is crazy, it was still rather easy for me to get a hold of. I'd like to make Danish my Summer project next year.

German - Love/hate relationship. I study it, leave it, study it, leave it. I love the language, but I hate learning it. I've gotten through 3 Assimils & one reader so far.

Japanese - I like Japanese movies & authors. I don't think I'd have the will power to learn it up to B2 though. I'd like to visit.

Portuguese - Knowing three other romance languages, why not add this one?

Latin - Not sure. I just really like the idea of knowing it.

I can only see Danish & maybe Latin happening in the near future. Maybe Japanese also if I take a course first.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5121 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 6 of 67
09 November 2013 at 12:32am | IP Logged 
sillygoose1 wrote:
I've done a bit of Assimil Swedish before, and although the pronunciation is crazy, it
was still rather easy for me to get a hold of. I'd like to make Danish my Summer project next year.

Oh boy. If you feel that the pronunciation of Swedish is crazy, I can barely wait to hear what you'll
think about Danish.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Darklight1216
Diglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4887 days ago

411 posts - 639 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German

Message 7 of 67
09 November 2013 at 12:39am | IP Logged 
So these are languages that we aren't going to learn, right?

Italian: It sounds nice, it's the language of a country I would badly like to visit, but it just isn't really that important.

Chinese: It's also the language of a country I would like to visit, but I doubt I ever will.

Ancient Egyptian: needs no introduction

Ancient Greek: It interests me because it is the language of the New Testament and looks cool besides that. However, when I was studying it, it really kicked my butt.

Biblical Hebrew: Language of the Old Testament.

Arabic: This one might be on my hit list, but it also might get dropped if the next one in line is too difficult for me. I know people who speak it which would be a real change from the languages that I'm studying.

MixedUpCody
United States
Joined 5043 days ago

144 posts - 280 votes 
Studies: Spanish, Mandarin

Message 8 of 67
09 November 2013 at 12:40am | IP Logged 
Darklight1216 wrote:
So these are languages that we aren't going to learn, right?

My understanding is that they are languages we aren't currently learning, but may someday.

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version