2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 9 of 67
09 November 2013 at 1:24am | IP Logged 
Mine really is short (I think):

Keeping with the idea of language families:

Celtic:
After hopefully getting Welsh up to a good level, Cornish, then Irish.

Germanic:
After hopefully(! - ? - !) getting Danish up to a reasonable level....
Kickstart Norwegian.
Start Icelandic from scratch
Try to get at least some passive understanding of Swedish.
Revisit Dutch (after many decades....).

Probably as background activities:
Look more seriously at Old English, and If I've made any headway with Icelandic,
Dabble with Old Norse. I gather Icelandic is close to Old Norse, but not identical.

Romance:
   Revive the Spanish I knew, and try to step it up a gear, especially speaking and
listening.
   Try to get at least some passive understanding of Portuguese.

That's enough to keep me busy I think, even if rather parochial by HTLAL standards.

1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6937 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 10 of 67
09 November 2013 at 1:27am | IP Logged 
Solfrid Cristin wrote:
[...]So: What shows up on your radar?

Well... my next meal (chicken or fish?) not to mention the work that I need to take home with me for the weekend are on my radar. There's also a blip in another quadrant on the screen representing a hottie whom I met recently...

Ooh, riiight. We're talking about languages!

What's on my profile's hit list is what's on my linguistic radar. However out of what's there, I think that just Afrikaans and Azerbaijani are the most likely blips on the screen to which I would react in the next year (if at all). I've never done more than dabble in an "easy" language, and Afrikaans seems to fit the bill while Azerbaijani is part of a long-standing interest in Central Asia where I'd like to get some grounding (if not fluency) in other Turkic languages and Mongolian.

Solfrid Cristin
Heptaglot
Winner TAC 2011 & 2012
Norway
Joined 5115 days ago

4143 posts - 8864 votes 
Speaks: Norwegian*, Spanish, Swedish, French, English, German, Italian
Studies: Russian

Message 11 of 67
09 November 2013 at 1:42am | IP Logged 
MixedUpCody wrote:
Darklight1216 wrote:
So these are languages that we aren't going to learn,
right?

My understanding is that they are languages we aren't currently learning, but may someday.

That's right :-)

Bbcatcher 08
Diglot
United States
Joined 4199 days ago

130 posts - 154 votes 
Speaks: English*, Latin
Studies: Russian, Mandarin, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Serbo-Croatian, Hungarian

Message 12 of 67
09 November 2013 at 3:01am | IP Logged 
Interesting question! Some languages I want to learn are just purely for fun, while
others may have a practicality

Yiddish: The language is interesting to me, and I just want to say "Ya I speak Yiddish"
Hebrew: Interested in politics, and would love to be able to read Israeli news, and
anything written regarding their politics
Mandarin: So many speakers, just a fun challenge :P
Cantonese: Just for pure fun, actually more interested in learning this over Mandarin
Ukrainian: Will start this language soon. After learning a good amount of Russian, I
want to learn this language too

Currently I have no resources for any of the languages, but I am patiently waiting for
some resources to become available.

AlexTG
Diglot
Australia
Joined 4419 days ago

178 posts - 354 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Latin, German, Spanish, Japanese

Message 13 of 67
09 November 2013 at 3:44am | IP Logged 
German: I will definitely learn this, I have German friends, I've traveled around the country, I'm interested in
their literature. To be honest it feels absurd that I don't know their language yet. I did some Rosetta Stone a
few years ago before traveling there and that was about as succesful as you'd expect RS to be...

Portugese/Italian/Occitan: I read French/Spanish/Latin so these are crazy transparent to me already.

Classical Chinese: Strong literature, won't be too big a leap once I'm confident enough with Japanese.

Urdu/Persian/Arabic: Like the look of their literatures, Ghazals are an amazing form of poetry.

Indo-Malay: I have friends from Malaysia and, being Australian, Indonesia is my neighbour.

Tok Pisin: Neighbours again. But also really interesting to learn a language so strongly related to my own.

Old English: Want to read beowulf and learn more about the roots of my language.

Edited by AlexTG on 09 November 2013 at 3:49am

2 persons have voted this message useful

Via Diva
Diglot
Russian Federation
last.fm/user/viadivaRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4015 days ago

1109 posts - 1427 votes 
Speaks: Russian*, English
Studies: German, Italian, French, Swedish, Esperanto, Czech, Greek

Message 14 of 67
09 November 2013 at 4:06am | IP Logged 
Well, since I have no power of will and so on, these are mostly dreams, some of them even are weak ones...

Swedish. I really don't know why, but I do want to learn it. I just do.
French. It would've been great to read in it. I don't think I'll ever be worrying about speaking French, but to read Les Rois maudits in original is definitely something that worth working for.
Italian. It has more chances than French, plus I won't give up speaking as a target so easily.
Esperanto. Maybe I'll turn in one of this crazy people with huge ambitions to turn Esperanto in lingua franca? Or, maybe, I'll drop it with thoughts "it's useless"? Interesting...
Bulgarian. If I should learn another Slavic language to add up to Russian, I'd choose Bulgarian. Not Polish, as I thought few years ago.
Hungarian. Once again, I thought about learning Finnish exactly the same few years ago, but now I tend to look at Hungarian more.
Sanskrit. Only when I'll consider myself as a polyglot. I could learn it as a reward, maybe.

Hehe, weird list, but nothing more comes up in my mind. So that's it for now, I think...

Edited by Via Diva on 09 November 2013 at 4:07am

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 15 of 67
09 November 2013 at 4:55am | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Finnish: Suomi finland metal perkele etc. For old times sake, and for metal music's sake.
*____________________*

As for my list...
Swedish
Karelian
Norwegian
Icelandic
Welsh
Breton
Catalan
Corsican
Napoletan if you consider it a separate language
Czech
Bulgarian
Estonian
Luxembourgish
Swiss German
Yiddish
and the various Finno-Ugric/Uralic languages of Russia.

At least half the time, the difficulty outweighs the interest/benefits. Often the difficulty is down to the resources rather than the language itself.
4 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 16 of 67
09 November 2013 at 4:56am | IP Logged 
Oh and Papiamento sounds like fun :))) And also Guarani while I'm at it.

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 13 4 5 6 7 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version