United States
junglevision.co
Joined 5911 days ago

910 posts - 1232 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese, Finnish

Message 41 of 67
10 November 2013 at 4:18am | IP Logged 
I'm overwhelmed with Japanese and Finnish. This feels to me like enough language for a lifetime, really.   I have little wanderlust -- aside from the occasional desire to rescue my high school German from being totally forgotten.
1 person has voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 42 of 67
10 November 2013 at 6:32am | IP Logged 
LeadZeppelin wrote:
I must be the only person on this site who doesn't suffer from wanderlust. :)
We don't suffer, we enjoy it :-)

Although I wouldn't say I have it myself either.
3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4614 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 43 of 67
10 November 2013 at 4:20pm | IP Logged 
I seem not to have it either.

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4630 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 44 of 67
10 November 2013 at 4:35pm | IP Logged 
Phew, it was really difficult to narrow the selection down to the languages I seriously consider to study some day, but here we go:

Hungarian: I have wanted to learn this language since I was a child. I have TY and will probably get Colloquial soon.

Ancient and Modern Greek: I have been to Greece once and dabbled in both varieties of the language before. I’m interested in Greek literature and philosophy and I think the language is very beautiful and difficult at the same time. I own several courses (Ancient Greek Alive, Reading Greek, Langenscheidt) and hope that I might get to studying it seriously soon.

Polish: It’s a language I have wanted to learn for years. I have been to Poland twice and I have several Polish friends. Also, I think it sounds very beautiful and awfully difficult to pronounce at the same time.

Czech: I have been to the Czech Republic once and wanted to learn the language ever since. Hopefully, I’ll get to it one day.

Farsi: I don’t know why, but I simply think it’s interesting and beautiful.

Swahili: It’s exotic and I don’t know any African languages. Don’t know if that’s reason enough for really studying it one day.

Georgian: I think the Mkhedruli script looks very beautiful and the language is supposed to be very difficult for Western Europeans. I know nothing about Georgia, but it would be interesting to learn more about its culture.

Korean: Once I have learned Japanese (ha ha!), I will move on to Korean. I love the Hangeul alphabet.

Old English: I have tried several materials for it, but I have never studied it seriously, so it is still on my to-do list.

Sanskrit: I’m interested in Indian culture and philosophy. The grammar of Sanskrit is famous for its complexity, so I’d like to give it a try some day.

Welsh: I have dabbled in it once, but I chose not to study it seriously. I might get back to it one day. I have a Colloquial course.

Mandarin: I have dabbled in it, but I haven’t got very far. Maybe, I’ll give it another try when my Japanese is better. I own Colloquial Chinese.

Edited by Josquin on 10 November 2013 at 6:50pm

Belardur
Octoglot
Germany
Joined 5397 days ago

148 posts - 195 votes 
Speaks: English*, GermanC2, Spanish, Dutch, Latin, Ancient Greek, French, Lowland Scots
Studies: Biblical Hebrew, Italian, Arabic (Written), Mandarin, Korean

Message 45 of 67
10 November 2013 at 5:31pm | IP Logged 
On my radar (including things that have for one reason or another been abandoned in the past but may well come back) in groups that make sense to me:

Afrikaans, Sesotho, Xhosa: I spent some time in South Africa, and picked up a bit of each. One day, maybe.

Russian: I got by fairly well on several trips to Russia, but at this point it has withered away from disuse. I'd like to read literature in it one day.

Portuguese, Catalan: Because Romance languages. The culture is nice, also.

Arabic, Persian: I recently basically gave up on Arabic. Persian has been on my hit list for years now. I'm especially intersted in literary works here as well.

Cherokee: (possibly) a heritage language

Hungarian, Romanian: My father-in-law is a Siebenbürger Sachse, so yeah. Romanian is currently partially understandable.

Old English: No good reason, really.

Swedish: Also no good reason, I just find myself eyeballing it lately

Japanese: Again, after years of languishing my ability is about nil. I was pretty poor at it in any case, but my listening was not bad. After Korean and Mandarin, I will probably do it (Mandarin doesn't show up on this list because there's a commitment there, it's more than "on the radar")

I'm pretty open to other languages pushing their way in, as well. Realistically, some of these will never happen; I could never maintain all that anyway.

miertje
Diglot
Netherlands
Joined 3855 days ago

21 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Dutch*, English
Studies: German, Russian, French

Message 46 of 67
10 November 2013 at 7:15pm | IP Logged 
Sometimes it changes daily.
I find a lot of languages and cultures interesting, which sparks my interests in learning languages. So I read about languages and watch documentary's about different cultures. But I personally need more internal motivation to be able to actually study them, and keep at it. For example, knowing people that speak them, or travels, or heritage/family stuff. Languages like that for me are Polish, Russian, and Spanish. I'm not actively studying all of them right now, but they are definitely on my radar! I also have learning materials in these.
Languages which I'm strongly interested in but I'm not sure if I'll ever learn them are Japanese, Persian, and lately Mandarin as well. I'm not a "fast" learner (let's just say I'm slow!), and I can't study a lot of languages at the same time. So they are shoved down the priority list. Hopefully some day I'll be able to learn these. :-)
Languages in which I have definite interest, but less than the above, are Swedish or Norwegian, Hungarian, and like some others in this thread I would like to learn an African language, to open myself to more of African culture and life. Not sure which language yet though.
Also sometimes improving my English props up on my radar, but I can't seem to find motivation to work at it. I use it passively mostly.

Edited by miertje on 10 November 2013 at 7:18pm

liammcg
Ireland
Joined 4390 days ago

269 posts - 397 votes 
Speaks: English*

Message 47 of 67
10 November 2013 at 8:43pm | IP Logged 
I'll throw my lot in:

Norwegian: As my 'hit list' entry on my profile reads, "I think I'm in love".
This will very likely be the next language I study from scratch. The tonal system makes
it sound incredible. For the moment though German serves to satisfy my wanderlust in
the Germanic family.

Spanish: The sheer amount of native speakers as well as the travel opportunities
it opens up make this one a must for me, but when?!

Welsh: I started studying this during the summer but left it to one side fairly
quickly in favor of more time with German. 'Twould be a shame not to learn the
neighbours' language!

Polish: A huge population of Poles reside in Ireland. They're lovely people, as
is their language.

Old Irish: Given that I have Irish under my belt and am currently working on her
sister Gaelic, it's only a matter of time before I investigate their mother! It would
be great to be able to read Lebor Gabála Érenn in the original language.

Icelandic: A beautiful country, a beautiful language. Very ancient sounding.
Added bonus of being able to read Old Norse Sagas (or so I'm told).

Hmmm...it's times like these that I'm grateful I don't have much money or I'd likely
plunder amazon for resources for ALL the above! Right, best go and study some French
and German, Liam. One step at a time and all that!

Henkkles
Triglot
Finland
Joined 4039 days ago

544 posts - 1141 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English, Swedish
Studies: Russian

Message 48 of 67
10 November 2013 at 8:55pm | IP Logged 
Spanish
-because it's a world language and a funny one at that

Mandarin
-because it's a world language and I'd gladly trade agglutination with analytic for a while

Hungarian
-because it's so cool and a related language to my native one, cases booyah

Turkish
-because hell yeah, agglutination!

Dutch, Faroese, Afrikaans, Danish, all that good stuff.

I'll have to recheck my radar in about ten years or something but as of now these will do.

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 57 8 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version