Language Learning Forum : General discussion Post Reply
67 messages over 9 pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... 7 ... 8 9 Next >>

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6485 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 49 of 67
10 November 2013 at 10:43pm | IP Logged 
I just want to be able to read all languages in Europe (including the dead ones) and to be able to understand, write and speak as many as possible of them - plus a couple of exotic languages. I want to keep my wishes simple and realistic...

Right now I only have plans concerning a couple of old languages within the Germanic family (Old English, Old Saxon, Old Hight German and Gothic), and within the(pre)Romance family I just want to become better at Latin - the other Italic languages are too poorly documented to catch my interest, and I can't see any compelling reason to learn to speak Aromanian or any of the Romantsch languages.

Within the Hellenic languages I definitely have a project in mind concerning the row of Ancient Greeks (from Homeric over Attic Greek to Koiné), but only passively. Albanian is scheduled and I already have collected some relevant books. Within the Slavic languages I'm lagging behind schedule with spoken Russian, but I should be able to learn to read and write a few Slavic languages within the next couple of years - and maybe even learn to speak them, because I can actually get programs in Polish and several Southern Slavic languages from my cable TV provider, unlike Russian - it is just a money question (and I hate the thought that I should pay for something which is free on Astra).

I have no specific plans concerning the Baltic languages (Latvian and Lithuan), but they are waiting silently within the circle where I pick my upcoming projects - maybe a quick peek sometime in the future.

The problem with Hungarian and Finnish is just to choose which one to study first - but I doubt that it will happen i 2014. Estonian would also be fun, but not the small Ugrian languages. And then there is the weird loner Basque, where I already have collected some relevant study materials - but just not the time to study them.

Outside Europe I have my radar set on Bahasa Melayu and maybe also Tagalog, and then I have had a penchant for Georgian since my visits there - for some reason Armenian doesn't attract my to the same degree. But I haven't got time to learn any of these right now. And the rest of the 6-7000 languages in the world might be interesting to know at a theoretical level, but I doubt that I ever will find time to learn any of them. Except maybe...

Edited by Iversen on 10 November 2013 at 11:33pm

11 persons have voted this message useful

AML
United States
Joined 6607 days ago

323 posts - 426 votes 
2 sounds
Speaks: English*
Studies: Modern Hebrew, German, Spanish

Message 50 of 67
11 November 2013 at 1:47am | IP Logged 
I'd love to know the major Middle Eastern languages:

Hebrew (modern)
Arabic (Levantine, specifically)
Persian/Farsi
Turkish

Most people don't realize what an *amazing* place the Middle East is. Having lived there
a couple years, I miss it a lot. The best food. Nice people. To conquer the languages of
this region would be my dream.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Largactyl
Diglot
United States
Joined 4270 days ago

18 posts - 20 votes
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Icelandic, Hungarian, Irish, Old English

Message 51 of 67
11 November 2013 at 8:17am | IP Logged 
I've at least touched on every language I ever plan on learning, except for maybe the older versions of them. My complete list would be:

German, Icelandic, Irish, Hungarian, Old English, Old Icelandic/Old Norse, Old Irish.

I guess there are a couple I may take a look at in the somewhat distant future, like maybe another more common North Germanic language such as Norwegian or Swedish. I also "borrowed" an older Teach Yourself Serbo-Croat book from my paternal grandmother (her father's parents were from Montenegro) but haven't really looked at it at all. Overall though, I'm not as interested in languages in general as many people on here seem to be, only in these particular languages.

Of course there's no telling how different that list will be in five or ten years...
1 person has voted this message useful

chokofingrz
Pentaglot
England
Joined 4971 days ago

241 posts - 430 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, German, Italian
Studies: Russian, Japanese, Catalan, Luxembourgish

Message 52 of 67
11 November 2013 at 2:29pm | IP Logged 
Apart from all the obvious ones, the most non-useful languages I hope to one day have time to dabble in are Occitan, Catalan and Piedmontese. Yes, when I'm old and my brain is defunct, I could retire to the Mediterranean and blissfully sunbathe while confusing romance vocabularies for my last decade.
3 persons have voted this message useful

oziohume
Bilingual Hexaglot
Belgium
Joined 4520 days ago

30 posts - 43 votes
Speaks: English*, Spanish*, Catalan, Italian, French, German
Studies: Dutch

Message 53 of 67
11 November 2013 at 4:48pm | IP Logged 
Since I'm able to remember, I always wanted to speak eight specific languages, namely:
Spanish, English, German, French, Catalan, Italian, Russian and Portuguese. However in
time it has been made clear that I couldn't stick with just these ones. I intend to start
with Dutch/Norwegian/Swedish next year, and I suppose if my life keeps changing I will
continue to add new languages to the list.
This is all probably because I see languages as my love for a country and I'm not the
kind of person that loves only one thing/person.
That said, I see myself falling in love with any European language, especially the
Romance and Germanic ones.

maydayayday
Pentaglot
United Kingdom
Joined 5001 days ago

564 posts - 839 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Italian, SpanishB2, FrenchB2
Studies: Arabic (Egyptian), Russian, Swedish, Turkish, Polish, Persian, Vietnamese
Studies: Urdu

Message 54 of 67
11 November 2013 at 8:58pm | IP Logged 
I will be retiring and moving to Spain soon though I've been telling myself this since 2007 (but in 2007 the destination was Italy)!

Somewhat like Iversen I'd like to be able to hold day to day conversations in all the languages of Europe (B1 or higher say): officially the EU use Bulgarian, Croatian, Czech, Danish, Dutch, English, Estonian, Finnish, French, German, Greek, Hungarian, Irish, Italian, Latvian, Lithuanian, Maltese, Polish, Portuguese, Romanian, Slovak, Slovene, Spanish and Swedish plus I'd like to add Arabic & Russian
2 persons have voted this message useful

Donaldshimoda
Diglot
Groupie
Italy
Joined 3872 days ago

47 posts - 72 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Russian

Message 55 of 67
12 November 2013 at 1:29am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:

As for my list...

Napoletan if you consider it a separate language

I'd love to hear that. Can't think anything weirdest than a russian speaking "napoletan"

:D
1 person has voted this message useful

newyorkeric
Diglot
Singapore
Joined 6161 days ago

1598 posts - 2174 votes 
Speaks: English*, Italian
Studies: Mandarin, Malay
Personal Language Map

Message 56 of 67
12 November 2013 at 2:32am | IP Logged 
Asking a bunch of language learners what is on their hit list...this thread may go on forever.

This discussion contains 67 messages over 9 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 4 5 68 9  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version