Spinchäeb Ape
Diglot
United States
Joined 4290 days ago

146 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, German

Message 1 of 4
09 November 2013 at 1:03am | IP Logged 
I wrote a short dialogue for Language 8 (pasted at the end of this post) and am not sure of all the corrections. Here are the ones I'm unsure of.

I wrote:
Quote:
Oh, est-ce que tu es dans une sale humeur ?

It was corrected as:
Quote:
Oh, est-ce que tu es de mauvaise humeur ?

I'm trying to say, “Are you in a bad mood” or “in a bitchy mood” or “cranky.”

I suspect what I wrote may be correct and woman from France who corrected me simply changed it to something that's also correct, but sounds better. I use the Larousse Chambers French/English dictionary within the Goldendict software in Linux. From that source, I got this:

Quote:
he's in a bitchy mood
= il est dans une sale humeur

Is my original correct, but not as good sounding as her correction? Or is it wrong in some way?

In the little skit that I wrote, a young man keeps putting his unwelcome hands all over a girl. The first time, she says, “Arrête de me tripoter!” which is actually a line I got from a Catherine Deneuve movie. That one has checked out as correct. However, the next time he does it, I wanted her to protest in a different way, something to the effect of, “Get your hands off me.”

I wrote:
Quote:
Enlève tes mains de moi !

She corrected it as :
Quote:
Lâche-moi !

This is another case in which I got what I wrote from Lorouse Chambers:

Quote:
get your hands off =

enlève tes mains!; enlevez-vos mains; ôte tes mains; ôtez vos mains

I suspect her correction fits the conversation better, but was what I wrote incorrect?

I wrote:

Quote:
C'était un trou du cul nommé Borglum, je crois.

It was corrected as:
Quote:
C'était un trou du cul dit Borglum, je crois.

I thought “dit” meant “said,” not “named.” Don't you say “nommé” if the person is male and “nommée” if she's female?

In the skit, a male space alien points a ray gun at someone and says, “Haut les mains !” This has checked out as correct. However, I wanted the female space alien to say the same thing in a different way. We can do this in English with different expressions such as, “Hands up,” “stick'em up,” “hands in the air,” etc.

I wrote:
Quote:
Mains en l'air !

It was corrected as:
Quote:
Haut les mains !

She made it identical to how the male space alien said it, but I wanted it said a different way. I had consulted Larousse Chambers on this one and found:

Quote:
haut les mains, levez les mains; mains en l'air

Was the way I wrote it wrong for this context? What's happening here?

I wanted the female space alien to say, “We're taking you prisoner.”

I wrote:
Quote:
Nous faisons vous prisonnier.

It was corrected as:
Quote:
On vous ramène en prison.

Doesn't “ramène” mean “to take back” and hence this correction means to take back to prison? If so, that's not what I was trying to say. The aliens are taking them prisoner for the first time. I also used “nous” instead of “on” because I wanted the aliens' language to sound overly formal and stilted. Would the use of “nous” in this context help to accomplish that?   

I wanted to say, “To be continued. Next time experience the dastardly crimes of the space aliens.”

I wrote:
Quote:
À suivre. La prochaine fois que l'expérience des crimes sordides commis des extraterrestres.

It was corrected as:
Quote:
À suivre. A la prochaine histoire de crime sordide commis par des extraterrestres.

She herself wrote that she wasn't sure what I was trying to say and therefore isn't sure if her correction is right.

And that's it. I'll cut and paste the full story here in case you need the context. I've already put in the corrections that I'm sure of. I've only left out the ones discussed here. My English translation follows that.

------------------------------

Quote:
Andrew et Catherine étudient

(Andrew et Catherine sont assis ensemble sur une table. Ils étudient.)
Catherine : Arrête !
Andrew : Quoi ?
Catherine : Arrête de me tripoter! Je suis ici pour étudier. Je ne suis pas ta copine.
Andrew : Oh, est-ce que tu es dans une sale humeur ?
Catherine : Ta gueule. On doit étudier. Notre examen est demain. J'aimerais bien le réussir.
Andrew : Ouais, ouais.
Catherine : Tu es toujours excité. Je suis fatigué de ça.
Andrew : Tu es toujours méchante.
Catherine : Qui sont les présidents du Mont Rushmore ?
Andrew : Eh, je crois qu'ils sont Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson et … Richard Nixon … eh non, Barack Obama.
Catherine : Tu es un abruti.
Andrew : Est-ce que tu as déjà visité Mont Rushmore ?
Catherine : Non.
Andrew : Peut-être que le Président Obama y est. Tu ne sais pas.
Catherine : Tu es ridicule. (Elle vérifie dans un livre.) Ah, le quatorzième c'est Roosevelt.
Andrew : Franklin Roosevelt ?
Catherine : Non. Theodore Roosevelt.
Andrew : Ah bon.
Catherine : Arrête ! Enlève tes mains de moi ! Tu m'emmerdes alors!
Andrew : Tu n'es jamais drôle.   
Catherine : Tu veux réussir ton examen ou pas ? C'est toi qui a des mauvaises notes, pas moi. Si tu ne réussiras pas, tu devras aller aux cours d'été.
Andrew : Ouais, ouais. Tout le monde est au courant de ça.
Catherine : Alors, tu dois étudier.
Andrew : Je ne serai pas obligé d'aller aux cours d'été si les extraterrestres nous attaquent et nous kidnappent.
Catherine : Tu es tellement juvénile. (Pause) Bien. Qui a sculpté le Mont Rushmore ?
Andrew : Ah, je sais.
Catherine : Qui ?
Andrew : C'était un trou du cul dit Borglum, je crois.
Catherine : Tu as raison. Félicitations, mais tu ne devras pas écrire : « trou du cul » dans ton examen.
Andrew : Je sais.
(Soudainement il y a un grand bruit.)    
Catherine : Que diable ?   
(Des extraterrestres entrent avec les pistolet à rayons dessinés.)
Extraterrestre Mec : Haut les mains !
Catherine : Aahhh … q-q-q-qui êtes vous ?
Extraterrestre Dame : Mains en l'air ! Nous faisons vous prisonnier.
(Andrew et Catherine lèvent leurs mains. À suivre. La prochaine fois que l'expérience des crimes sordides commis des extraterrestres.)

Andrew and Catherine Study
(Andrew and Catherine are sitting together at a table. They study.)
Catherine: Stop it!
Andrew: What?
Catherine: Stop pawing me! I'm here to study. I'm not your girlfriend.
Andrew: Oh, are you in a bad mood?
Catherine: Shut up. We need to study. Our test is tomorrow. I'd really like to pass.
Andrew: Yeah, yeah.
Catherine: You're always horny. I'm tired of it.
Andrew: You're always mean.
Catherine: Who are the presidents on Mount Rushmore?
Andrew: Um, I think they're Washington, Lincoln, Jefferson, and … Richard Nixon … uh, no, Barack Obama.
Catherine: You're a moron.
Andrew: Have you ever visited Mount Rushmore?
Catherine: No.
Andrew: Maybe President Obama is on the mountain. You don't know.
Catherine: You're ridiculous. (She checks the fact in a book.) Ah, the fourth one is Roosevelt.
Andrew: Franklin Roosevelt?
Catherine: No. Theodore Roosevelt.
Andrew: I see.
Catherine: Stop it! Take your hands off me! You're bugging the shit out of me!
Andrew: You're never any fun.
Catherine: Do you want to pass your test or not? Your grades are bad, not mine. If you don't pass, you'll have to go to summer school.
Andrew: Yeah, yeah. Everyone is aware of that.
Catherine: Well then, you need to study.
Andrew: I won't have to go to summer school if space aliens attack us and kidnap us.
Catherine: You're so juvenile. (Pause) Okay. Who carved Mount Rushmore?
Andrew: Oh, I know.
Catherine: Who?
Andrew: It was some asshole named Borglum, I think.
Catherine: You're right. Congratulations, but don't write “asshole” on your test.
Andrew: I know.
(Suddenly there's a loud sound.)
Catherine: What the hell?
(Space aliens enter with ray guns drawn.)
Space Alien Dude: Hands up!
Catherine: Aahh … w-w-w-who are you?
Space Alien Lady: Hands in the air. We're taking you prisoner.
(Andrew and Catherine raise their hands. To be continued. Next time experience the dastardly deeds of the space aliens.)    

1 person has voted this message useful

Avid Learner
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4482 days ago

100 posts - 156 votes 
Speaks: French*, English
Studies: German

Message 2 of 4
10 November 2013 at 4:20am | IP Logged 
1. My first impression when I saw "sale humeur" was that it was an unusual expression. That's probably what bugged her. But it's not uncomprehensible and since the Larousse accepts it, the choice is yours. I have a feeling that if a native had written that, the woman wouldn't have said anything, but she probably supposed that you didn't know the usual expression.

2. We could say "Éloigne-toi de moi", for example, but "Enlève tes mains de moi" sounds wrong. I might say "Enlève tes mains de là", but not with a personal pronoun.

3. Not to my knowledge. I would have written "nommé" too.

4. This is like #1. I might have come across "Mains en l'air!", but at first glance, it sounded a little unusual.

5. Actually, she could simply have suggested: "Nous vous faisons prisonnier". "Faire prisonner" is not an uncommon expression.

6. I didn't understand your sentence at all either. I couldn't figure out where the verb was. Then I realized that in the English version, "experience" was the verb, but it was a noun in the French version. It could have been something like "À suivre. La prochaine fois, faites l'expérience des crimes sordides commis par les extraterrestres."
2 persons have voted this message useful

Spinchäeb Ape
Diglot
United States
Joined 4290 days ago

146 posts - 180 votes 
Speaks: English*, German

Message 3 of 4
10 November 2013 at 6:22am | IP Logged 
Thanks for your explanations. They're very helpful.
1 person has voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4485 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 4 of 4
10 November 2013 at 1:35pm | IP Logged 
Spinchäeb Ape wrote:
I wrote:

Quote:
C'était un trou du cul nommé Borglum, je crois.

It was corrected as:
Quote:
C'était un trou du cul dit Borglum, je crois.

I thought “dit” meant “said,” not “named.” Don't you say “nommé” if the person is male
and “nommée” if she's female?

"Dit" can be used to mean "named" or often "called" (it seems like the nuance is
usually that the person is "dit" something that is not their birth name, e.g.
Robert dit Fabrice, but I'm not
sure if that is necessary to say "dit" or not). But "nommé(e)" is also correct.

Edited by tastyonions on 10 November 2013 at 3:34pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version