Italy
Joined 4000 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 1 of 28
10 November 2013 at 7:11pm | IP Logged 
Hej!

I have so many problems in uttering the long "i" you can't imagine. I know I need to
tighten my lips and put my tongue forward, but it just won't come out right.

Do you have any tips on how to do it "right"?
1 person has voted this message useful

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3884 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 2 of 28
11 November 2013 at 12:24am | IP Logged 
Put the tip of your tongue against your lower teeth. Now press your tongue town to the floor of your mouth. Smile as widely as you can, staining to pull the corners of your mouth apart. Now make an open, non-nasal, "eeee" (English) sound from the mid-throat. That'll give you a southern long "i", anyhow. It tends towards an "eiiij".

I won't try to coach you on how to make a Stockholmish "i" because I'm told that no matter how much of a "standard Swedish" I put on, my vowels give me away, but I'll say this much... if you close off the throat a little and make the sound higher in the throat, and at a higher pitch, it sounds a bit more northern.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Ari
Heptaglot
Norway
Joined 6367 days ago

2314 posts - 5695 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Mandarin, Cantonese
Studies: Czech, Latin, German

Message 3 of 28
11 November 2013 at 7:15am | IP Logged 
The Skåne 'i' sounds a bit like The Fonz saying "Eyyyy". The "standard" 'i' is a bit like 'ee' in English, but more to the front. Pretty close to "ille" in French "une fille". The Lidingö 'i' mixes in a bit of a 'z' sound in there. Take your pick!

jeff_lindqvist
Diglot
SwedenRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6694 days ago

4250 posts - 5710 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English
Studies: German, Spanish, Russian, Dutch, Mandarin, Esperanto, Irish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 4 of 28
11 November 2013 at 6:08pm | IP Logged 
I never imagined that someone would find our "i" difficult. (u, y and ö all seem to be more problematic)

Rameau
Triglot
Germany
Joined 5892 days ago

149 posts - 258 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: English*, GermanC1, Danish
Studies: Swedish, French, Icelandic

Message 5 of 28
12 November 2013 at 1:14pm | IP Logged 
Swedish long "i" is definitely one of the trickier sounds, primarily because it decidedly different from "Generic European /i/", but in a rather difficult-to-define sort of way. To my ears (at least judging from central standard Swedish newscaster speech I'm familiar with), it seems to be ultra-closed, and have what can only be described as an almost Marvin-the-Martian-like quality to it, which, curiously, seems to be much more exaggerated in female speakers than males. No idea why that sort of thing should possibly make a difference in its realization, but bizarrely, it seems to be the case across the board (again, at least in the newscasts and language-learning materials I've listed to).

Inextricably connected with the long i problems (at least in the above style of speech) are those of long "y", which sounds even less like "Generic European /y/" than Swedish "i" does like GE /i/. In fact, long y sounds remarkably like long i, probably stemming from the fact that not only displays the same hyper-closedness and Marvin-the-Martian-ness as the former sound, but also has a j-like off glide (which is a rather unexpected quality for a rounded vowel). Truth be told, I often have difficulty telling the two sounds apart in isolation, and even though I can hear a clear difference between the two when spoken back-to-back, I still have difficulty determining which is which (especially when pronounced by a female, central standard Swedish speaker) due to the rounding's effectively disappearing from long "y" thanks to the off glide. Then again, long y seems comparatively uncommon in Swedish compared to short y (which sounds perfectly like Generic European /Y/), or "ju", which appears in a great many words whose corresponding Danish equivalent has long y (syg vs sjuk, lys vs. ljus, tyv vs. tjugo, etc.). Mind, this only makes the difficulty greater, due to one having a more limited exposure to this particular sound...
5 persons have voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4000 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 6 of 28
12 November 2013 at 6:45pm | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
Put the tip of your tongue against your lower teeth. Now press your
tongue town to the floor of your mouth. Smile as widely as you can, staining to pull
the corners of your mouth apart. Now make an open, non-nasal, "eeee" (English) sound
from the mid-throat. That'll give you a southern long "i", anyhow. It tends towards an
"eiiij".

I won't try to coach you on how to make a Stockholmish "i" because I'm told that no
matter how much of a "standard Swedish" I put on, my vowels give me away, but I'll say
this much... if you close off the throat a little and make the sound higher in the
throat, and at a higher pitch, it sounds a bit more northern.

Thanks, I think I'm getting somewhere now, although I need to work on the mid-throat
thing.

jeff_lindqvist wrote:
I never imagined that someone would find our "i" difficult. (u,
y and ö all seem to be more problematic)

I don't know if you noticed, but the swedish i is a rather unique sound with peculiar
features for an indoeuropean language. The other vowels are pretty much found in other
languages as well.

Rameau wrote:
Swedish long "i" is definitely one of the trickier sounds, primarily
because it decidedly different from "Generic European /i/", but in a rather difficult-
to-define sort of way. To my ears (at least judging from central standard Swedish
newscaster speech I'm familiar with), it seems to be ultra-closed, and have what can
only be described as an almost Marvin-the-Martian-like quality to it, which, curiously,
seems to be much more exaggerated in female speakers than males. No idea why that sort
of thing should possibly make a difference in its realization, but bizarrely, it seems
to be the case across the board (again, at least in the newscasts and language-learning
materials I've listed to).

Inextricably connected with the long i problems (at least in the above style of speech)
are those of long "y", which sounds even less like "Generic European /y/" than Swedish
"i" does like GE /i/. In fact, long y sounds remarkably like long i, probably
stemming from the fact that not only displays the same hyper-closedness and Marvin-the-
Martian-ness as the former sound, but also has a j-like off glide (which is a rather
unexpected quality for a rounded vowel). Truth be told, I often have difficulty telling
the two sounds apart in isolation, and even though I can hear a clear difference
between the two when spoken back-to-back, I still have difficulty determining which is
which (especially when pronounced by a female, central standard Swedish speaker) due to
the rounding's effectively disappearing from long "y" thanks to the off glide. Then
again, long y seems comparatively uncommon in Swedish compared to short y (which sounds
perfectly like Generic European /Y/), or "ju", which appears in a great many words
whose corresponding Danish equivalent has long y (syg vs sjuk, lys vs. ljus, tyv vs.
tjugo, etc.). Mind, this only makes the difficulty greater, due to one having a more
limited exposure to this particular sound...

That's it! I thought I was the only one to hear the i differently when uttered by a
female. The hardest word to pronounce that I've come across so far is "byn", which,
when I first heard it, was said by a female (from central Sweden) and the "y" sound was
even tighter. It sounds as if the sound were actually made in the throat itself,
without leaving the mouth at all.

LaughingChimp
Czech Republic
Joined 4484 days ago

346 posts - 594 votes 
Speaks: Czech*

Message 7 of 28
12 November 2013 at 8:38pm | IP Logged 
It sounds to me like a slight di- or triphthong, somthing like /ɪji/.

Edit: After a bit of experimenting and looking at spectrographs, I came to a concluson that there is actually a glide from retracted to advanced tongue root. But I may be wrong.

Edit: I think I was wrong, it's something else.

Edited by LaughingChimp on 12 November 2013 at 10:29pm

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4000 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 

Message 8 of 28
13 November 2013 at 7:02pm | IP Logged 
What spectrographs? Can we see? *_*