Joined 4455 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 25 of 28
19 November 2013 at 7:34am | IP Logged 
Sarnek wrote:
Medulin wrote:
Swedish has 20 or more accents (like Italian) and we cannot generalize.
How many Italian people speak with a neutral accent (heard in dubbed programs)?
Zero, only those with ''corso di dizione'' speak with pronunciation as indicated in
dictionaries,
most Italians speak with a regional accent. The same happens with Swedish and Norwegian
(Norwegian does not even have standard pronunciation).

Your point being? Italian has many accents, it's true, but when a foreigner learns
italian he learn the "standard" variant.

This is not true. Most learners of Italian outside of Italy are advised not to bother with open and closed E and O's in Italian. Those living in Italy acquire the local accent, and not the neutral dubbers accent, foreigners living in Milan end up getting a Milanese accent, whose in Rome get a Roman accent etc...

Foreigners living in Malmö, end up having the Malmö accent,
those living in Gothenburg, end up having the Gothenburg accent etc...

Foreigners imitate (consciously or subconsciously) what they hear spoken around them.

You can pronounce I in bilen, bilar as [i:], as long as you're able to produce the pitch difference between the two you will sound okay.

---
As for the exact pronunciation of Swedish I:

Source:
An Acoustic Analysis of Vowel Pronunciation in Swedish Dialects
(2010) by Leinonen, Therese

http://dissertations.ub.rug.nl/FILES/faculties/arts/2010/t.n .leinonen/15_thesis.pdf

Edited by Medulin on 19 November 2013 at 7:47am

2 persons have voted this message useful

caam_imt
Triglot
Mexico
Joined 4649 days ago

232 posts - 357 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, EnglishC2, Finnish
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 26 of 28
19 November 2013 at 2:48pm | IP Logged 
This stuff about long "i" and "y" has bothered me for quite some time. Now I can hear
the difference and decided that I will not try to imitate that buzzing that seems to
permeate a lot of recordings in course material that attempts to teach "standard
Swedish". It seems to occur in women more often than in men, at least in my opinion. So
basically I pronounce the "i" like in Spanish, but trying to make it diphthong-like.
And for the "y", I do the same but protrude my lips a lot; it DOES sound still like an
"i", but not quite the same.

Here is a Wikipedia article on the long "y" in other European languages (German,
French, Finnish), and at the bottom of the page, a bit on the Swedish "y". So they are
quite different.
Long "y"

I just don't understand why it's almost never mentioned in learning materials. It
shouldn't be so detailed, but come on, comparing it to the German ü or French u is
terrible, IMO.

Edited by caam_imt on 19 November 2013 at 2:49pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Medulin
Tetraglot
Croatia
Joined 4455 days ago

1199 posts - 2192 votes 
Speaks: Croatian*, English, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Norwegian, Hindi, Nepali

Message 27 of 28
30 December 2013 at 7:57pm | IP Logged 
Viby/Lidingö I is realized as [ɨ ] (sound sample here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Close_central_unrounded_vowel),
according to the article ''Hur udda är Viby-i? Experimentella och typologiska observationer'' (https://lup.lub.lu.se/search/publication/1624636)

Edited by Medulin on 30 December 2013 at 7:57pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

cwcowellshah
United States
Joined 4166 days ago

34 posts - 52 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Swedish

Message 28 of 28
09 January 2014 at 2:12am | IP Logged 
As a native speaker of American English, the Swedish long-i sounds to me like a whiny, nasal (I guess buzzy is the
term people here have used) version of a Spanish long-i, and the Swedish long-y sounds half way between a
Spanish long-i and a Spanish long-u. That's about the extent of the analysis I've put into it.

I find the buzzy/nasal/whiny long-i almost impossible to produce, so I fall back on a pure Spanish long-i. I assume
this won't cause any confusion (I haven't tried it out on native speakers yet).

1 person has voted this message useful

This discussion contains 28 messages over 4 pages: << Prev 1 2 3

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version