United States
Joined 5191 days ago

115 posts - 178 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: Spanish
Studies: Swedish, Finnish

Message 9 of 13
17 November 2013 at 10:51pm | IP Logged 
I believe the "Dutch" refers more to the cultural and historic group of people, and is probably a misnomer in terms of the actual language. It's funny, I've heard Pennsylvania Dutch used to describe the cultural group but I've always known it was German they spoke, not Dutch. One of those odd historical names, probably.
1 person has voted this message useful

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 10 of 13
17 November 2013 at 11:18pm | IP Logged 
Dutch and German had the same name hundreds of years ago (Diets). The area was basically
a gigantic dialect continuum. English botched it by using Dutch for the Netherlands,
which is weird because in Dutch and German that etymological term means "German"
(Duits/Deutsch). In other words, English appropriated the wrong usage for the term but it
has stuck, leading to lots of confusion.
4 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4433 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 11 of 13
17 November 2013 at 11:26pm | IP Logged 
Most Dutch people excellent English these days, many Germans do as well. But that wouldn't have been the
case 100 years ago. Given the similarity of the two languages, I wonder if they just mixed and matched in the
old days in order to find some common ground.

tarvos
Super Polyglot
Winner TAC 2012
China
likeapolyglot.wordpr
Joined 4518 days ago

5310 posts - 9399 votes 
Speaks: Dutch*, English, Swedish, French, Russian, German, Italian, Norwegian, Mandarin, Romanian, Afrikaans
Studies: Greek, Modern Hebrew, Spanish, Portuguese, Czech, Korean, Esperanto, Finnish

Message 12 of 13
20 November 2013 at 11:00pm | IP Logged 
People didn't travel so much in those days, but people did find common ground. And it
makes sense because of the gigantic dialect continuum people - people from Kleve or
Nijmegen would understand each other's dialects because they were related. Even 40 years
ago, when Dutch people couldn't get Dutch channels, they would watch the German ones. It
is more a lack of exposure that hurts, not the march of English. There is no immersion
and no forcing into the deep ends. Keep in mind that the destruction of the continuum by
the ongoing march of standardization of German and Dutch is more of an influence than
English's influence, which is really something of the last 20 years that came along with
the internet.
2 persons have voted this message useful

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4433 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 13 of 13
21 November 2013 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
tarvos wrote:
Keep in mind that the destruction of the continuum by
the ongoing march of standardization of German and Dutch is more of an influence than
English's influence, which is really something of the last 20 years that came along with the internet.

Whenever I ask someone from North Germany "Kannst du Platt?" they usually tell me that they understand some of it but don't speak it. Its usage seems to be confined to older generations.

I'm assuming that Platt and Frisian provide some sort of dialect bridge between what we now know as Dutch and German?

Edited by beano on 21 November 2013 at 4:50pm

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: << Prev 1

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version