Question for non-US English speakers

Language Learning Forum : Specific Languages Post Reply
47 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 3 46  Next >>
1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4111 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 33 of 47
13 November 2013 at 8:59pm | IP Logged 
languagenerd09 wrote:
1e4e6 wrote:
Example of "washbasin" in accommodation
offering:

http://www.nc
l.
ac.uk/accommodation/students/accommodation/henderson/

First sentence of the webpage shows it already.

See, I find that strange because not once have I heard someone in my city say
"washbasin" and that university is in my city centre. We (the
'commoners') call it "a sink"

I did not know that you were from Newcastle. The university is in the city centre right
at the top of the high street and Haymarket, but still I have heard the term used. Not
around that area though.
1 person has voted this message useful

lecavaleur
Diglot
Canada
Joined 4598 days ago

146 posts - 295 votes 
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: German, Spanish

Message 34 of 47
13 November 2013 at 9:15pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
I have many relatives in Canada, even those who are born there, use "bill", "post",
"serviette", and even "lorry". But I suppose I should also mention that most of them had
parents who previously had lived in the UK before. But still, they live in Toronto,
Ottawa, Montréal, Vancouver, etc., and when I visit them or vice versa, and "bill" and
"serviette" are the oonly word that I hear when I go to restaurants with them, viz. "May
II have another serviette, please?", "May I have the bill, please?"

"College" means secondary school to me, "university" meaning exactly what it indicates. I
think in Canada and Australia, "colleges" are the equivalent of high schools. In Romance
languages also, their direct translation of secondary school is often "college".

In Canada:

- "Bill" and "check" (as in what you have to pay at a restaurant) are used interchangeably. As in the UK, a "cheque" is
a piece of paper which gives the recipient the right to claim a sum of money from your bank account.

- The "post" is typically called "mail" as in the U.S., despite the fact that the postal service is called "Canada Post". It's
former name was the "Royal Mail".

- "Serviette" for a napkin is somewhat archaic and belongs mostly to another generation, perhaps also to a certain
social class these days. I rarely ever hear it. The vast majority of people call it a "napkin".

- "Lorry" is not in Canadian usage. Here it's called a "truck".

- A "college" in Canada is generally a post-secondary institution that offers technical/vocational training. A few of
them offer a limited number of 4 year bachelor degrees. Unlike in the U.S., where "college" is an ambiguous term
referring sometimes to 2-year colleges sometimes to 4-year colleges, sometimes to universities, Canadians always
specify whether they are in "college" or "university". Some universities (essentially the University of Toronto) are
divided into "colleges", which is a system modelled after the British system one sees at Oxford and Cambridge. Most
Canadian universities, however, are divided into faculties and departments.

In modern Québec, the French word "collège" refers also to a post-secondary institution which delivers preparatory
diplomas permitting admission to a university, but also technical diplomas that prepare the recipient for a career in
certain fields. They are also most commonly referred to by the official French acronym "CÉGEP".

2 persons have voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4111 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 35 of 47
13 November 2013 at 10:45pm | IP Logged 
That is quite interesting, I thought that "serviette" was colloquial, because I remember
in addition to the younger relatives that I have who came to visit who used it regularly,
I heard in Toronto one teenager saying to the other in a restaurant saying, "Dude, we
need more serviettes". Or perhaps it is used to sound popular or something.

I have heard about UoT doing that like the Oxbridge universities. I suppose McGill do
that as well?

Edited by 1e4e6 on 13 November 2013 at 10:48pm

Elexi
United Kingdom
Joined 5386 days ago

938 posts - 1839 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: French, German, Latin

Message 36 of 47
13 November 2013 at 11:10pm | IP Logged 
I thought serviette usually signified a lower middle class arriviste trying to be
sophisticated by using a French word instead of the English word. Certainly, my mother
used it in that way and she was about as arriviste as they came.

(is there a normally English word for arriviste? :-))

Edited by Elexi on 13 November 2013 at 11:11pm

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4443 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 37 of 47
14 November 2013 at 12:31am | IP Logged 
espejismo wrote:
For me, Washboard/dp/B004K6KG40">this is a "washbasin." Although I would probably just call it a "[plastic]
basin" if it ever came up in a conversation. :) Or would you call this something else?

I would call this a washing-up basin :-)

FullofPears
Japan
Joined 3872 days ago

9 posts - 12 votes
Speaks: English*
Studies: Japanese

Message 38 of 47
14 November 2013 at 6:56am | IP Logged 
I'm from western Canada, and I think both my grandmothers call them "serviettes", but the rest of my family goes with "napkins" (or "paper napkin" if you need to distinguish it from one made from cloth). For me, a basin (or washbasin) would be a (usually plastic) tub used to do the dishes when camping or something, not something built into the house (that's a sink). I'd call the thing at a restaurant a "bill", although I'd understand "check".

beano
Diglot
United KingdomRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4443 days ago

1049 posts - 2152 votes 
Studies: Russian, Serbian, Hungarian

Message 39 of 47
14 November 2013 at 12:56pm | IP Logged 
I've heard plenty British people use the term serviette. Usually among older generations. If you go a bit further back, the word counterpane was used to describe what today would be known as a bedspread or duvet. Some words fall out of favour as time goes by.

What about skirting board? This is a term that every native English-speaker from the UK would know, regardless of educational level. Yet it's words like these that trip up non-native speakers who have never lived in Britain (even though their English is otherwise excellent). I believe the Americans call it baseboard, but the same argument applies.

Edited by beano on 14 November 2013 at 12:56pm

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4649 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 40 of 47
14 November 2013 at 7:05pm | IP Logged 
Random review wrote:
1e4e6 wrote:
Speaking of the tap, in British English, the tap
is part of the washbasin, instead of the
sink. In some rooms of the house, outside of the en-suite there might be an extra
washbasin in the bedroom.

Also, there is one thing about the tap architecture from older UK homes that seriously
irritates me, is that sometimes there are two taps for hot and cold water that do not
mix
into one pipe. I remember living in such a building, and I was too lazy to put in the
stopplug for the drain, so I would fill up the washbasin to the brim with the hot and
cold taps to get warm water.

Really? I'd never use the word "washbasin". It sounds very old-fashioned to me. I'd say
sink. I might,
rarely, say basin (never washbasin) when referring to the actual physical structure of
the sink.
Maybe it's a class thing?

Not to me. To me, the "sink" is what's in the kitchen, aka the "kitchen sink".
(back in the sixties, there were "kitchen sink" dramas in film and TV, i.e. about
everyday (usually working class) life.

A sink and a washbasin are two quite distinct things, and I think a plumber would agree
with me. The word "handbasin" is also heard, though I don't use it.

This discussion contains 47 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 3 46  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version