Diglot
Poland
Joined 3836 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English

Message 1 of 20
18 November 2013 at 9:36pm | IP Logged 
Hello,

My name's Matthew and I'm 21 years old and I'm studying law.
I have a big problem. Namely, I decided to start learning next language (English in
progress, for 1,5 years planning CAE certificate) and I can't choose ;/
I'm wondering about :
-swedish / norwegian
-russian

Chinese is out (I plan to start learning it after passing CAE certificate, because
study this language takes 7-10 years to be fluent in spoken and written)

How do you think which language will be the most useful for work relating to the Law?

Edited by Fasulye on 24 November 2013 at 2:23pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4026 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 2 of 20
18 November 2013 at 11:11pm | IP Logged 
First you must ask yourself, why are you learning a new language? Out of passion or out
of sheer usefulness?

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6408 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 3 of 20
19 November 2013 at 12:51am | IP Logged 
I'm guessing you like the Scandinavian languages but think Russian might be more useful. If so, go for Scandinavian. If you speak a rare language, there might be less offers but also much less competition. Swedish might be slightly more useful, being an EU language.

That said I've been told about a woman here in Moscow who studied the following languages at university: English, Old Norse/Icelandic (and worked on a farm in Iceland to really master it), and one Scandinavian language, I don't remember which. She's been working at the Australian embassy and obviously using only English, and now she's moving to Australia :D

One thing about your sphere is that you also need to know the laws of the country whose language you're learning, and maybe even some cultural information. You may find a "Russian for lawyers" textbook but probably not Swedish or Norwegian.
2 persons have voted this message useful

mfest
Diglot
Poland
Joined 3836 days ago

5 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: Polish*, English

Message 4 of 20
20 November 2013 at 9:30am | IP Logged 
Yes, your guessing is right ;) I've heard some swedish conversations,some norwegian
conversations,and im my opinion norwegian is much more similar to German... on the other
hand swedish sounds more nice for me. So, I've decided to learn this language.

Thereupon I have question about probably time to be fluent in this language (C1). How
long does it take to get A1, A2, B1, B2? I'm asking because I would create a long-
standing
plan learning this language.

Edited by mfest on 20 November 2013 at 9:53am

Julie
Heptaglot
PolandRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 6714 days ago

1251 posts - 1733 votes 
5 sounds
Speaks: Polish*, EnglishB2, GermanC2, SpanishB2, Dutch, Swedish, French

Message 5 of 20
24 November 2013 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
Have a look at the Wikipedia article about the Common European Framework of Reference, as this will give you a general idea of how much work and hours you have to put into the learning process.

If I were you, I would investigate the job opportunities for Polish lawyers specifically (look for some Polish on-line boards, try to ask your lecturers etc.). Furthermore, I would check what universities my faculty cooperates with (learning the basics and then going for 2 semesters abroad would be a reasonable thing to do, and this way you would also learn a lot about the law of the TL country which might be crucial for your future work).

Edited by Julie on 24 November 2013 at 12:38am

JiriT
Triglot
Groupie
Czech Republic
Joined 4608 days ago

60 posts - 95 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, English, German

Message 6 of 20
02 December 2013 at 4:23pm | IP Logged 
When I decide to learn a foreign language, I also have a practical reason. I do not
learn foreign languages because it is a fun or just to train my memory. I want to be
able to read, to listen and to speak in such a language. I must feel I am interested in
the culture of such a nation or a group of nations. Also good reason is the
professional usefulness of such a language.

For a lawyer or someone working in business generally in Central Europe it would be
very useful to know German. They are your neighbours and it is an important business
partner. I suppose, Poland has more foreign trade and business cooperation with Germany
then with Russia.

But you have not mentioned German. OK, then Russian seems to me better than the
Scandinavian languages. It is spoken by much more native speakers and it is also spoken
by most non-Russian nation of the former Soviet Union. In fact, many Ukrainians speak
Russian but not Ukrainian!

I do not recommend Swedish or Norwegian as a second foreign language. These languages
have few speakers. And Norwegians has two standard forms. Such languages may be good
for professional translators and interpreters with a combination with a more used
language. And I would also recommend starting with Swedish/Danish/Norwegian after
mastering German.

eyðimörk
Triglot
France
goo.gl/aT4FY7
Joined 3910 days ago

490 posts - 1158 votes 
Speaks: Swedish*, English, French
Studies: Breton, Italian

Message 7 of 20
02 December 2013 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
JiriT wrote:
I do not recommend Swedish or Norwegian as a second foreign language. These languages have few speakers. And Norwegians has two standard forms. Such languages may be good for professional translators and interpreters with a combination with a more used language.

I cannot under any circumstances recommend to anyone choosing to learn Swedish simply because they want to work in translation. The international market is extremely saturated. There is no lack of people who speak native, or near-native, level Swedish and English, who are happy to supplement their income without paying taxes, driving translator fees into the ground.

Working with certified documents and immigration locally is a little bit different, of course, but even then several Swedish government agencies will provide you with official documents in English. Even if you are immigrating somewhere where English documents are not accepted, a Swedish immigrant will probably have their approved "international" document translated instead of the Swedish original. You would be surprised how rarely documents need translating, though. My American life insurance company was happy with my own uncertified English translation of my medical records. My French bank was happy with my own shoddy French translation of my marriage certificate, and some French scribbles and highlighter pen on my Swedish tax documents.
5 persons have voted this message useful

Sarnek
Diglot
Italy
Joined 4026 days ago

308 posts - 414 votes 
Speaks: Italian*, English
Studies: German, Swedish

Message 8 of 20
02 December 2013 at 5:07pm | IP Logged 
eyðimörk wrote:
JiriT wrote:
I do not recommend Swedish or Norwegian as a second
foreign language. These languages have few speakers. And Norwegians has two standard
forms. Such languages may be good for professional translators and interpreters with a
combination with a more used language.

I cannot under any circumstances recommend to anyone choosing to learn
Swedish simply because they want to work in translation. The international market is
extremely saturated. There is no lack of people who speak native, or near-native, level
Swedish and English, who are happy to supplement their income without paying taxes,
driving translator fees into the ground.

Working with certified documents and immigration locally is a little bit different, of
course, but even then several Swedish government agencies will provide you with
official documents in English. Even if you are immigrating somewhere where English
documents are not accepted, a Swedish immigrant will probably have their approved
"international" document translated instead of the Swedish original. You would be
surprised how rarely documents need translating, though. My American life insurance
company was happy with my own uncertified English translation of my medical records. My
French bank was happy with my own shoddy French translation of my marriage certificate,
and some French scribbles and highlighter pen on my Swedish tax documents.

What about translating Swedish to other languages (apart from English, that is)?

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: 2 3  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version