1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 1 of 31
20 November 2013 at 7:14pm | IP Logged 
Original article

Quote:
English Has a New Preposition, Because Internet

Let's start with the dull stuff, because pragmatism.

The word "because," in standard English usage, is a subordinating conjunction, which means that it connects two parts of a sentence in which one (the subordinate) explains the other. In that capacity, "because" has two distinct forms. It can be followed either by a finite clause (I'm reading this because [I saw it on the web]) or by a prepositional phrase (I'm reading this because [of the web]). These two forms are, traditionally, the only ones to which "because" lends itself.

I mention all that ... because language. Because evolution. Because there is another way to use "because." Linguists are calling it the "prepositional-because." Or the "because-noun."

You probably know it better, however, as explanation by way of Internet—explanation that maximizes efficiency and irony in equal measure. I'm late because YouTube. You're reading this because procrastination. As the language writer Stan Carey delightfully sums it up: "'Because' has become a preposition, because grammar."

...It's a usage, in other words, that is exceptionally bloggy and aggressively casual and implicitly ironic. And also highly adaptable. Carey has unearthed instances of the "because-noun" construction with the noun in question being, among other terms, "science, math, people, art, reasons, comedy, bacon, ineptitude, fun, patriarchy, politics, school, intersectionality, and winner." (Intersectionality! Because THEORY. Bacon! Because BACON.)

But the formulation isn't simply limited to nouns. Carey again:

The construction is more versatile than “because+noun” suggests. Prepositional because can be yoked to verbs (Can’t talk now because cooking), adjectives (making up examples because lazy), interjections (Because yay!), and maybe adverbs too, though in strings like Because honestly., the adverb is functioning more as an exclamation. The resulting phrases are all similarly succinct and expressive.

Any thoughts? Seems kind of faddish to me, and as far as I can tell it is restricted to the written language (never heard anyone use this form in speech), but I guess we'll see.

Edited by tastyonions on 20 November 2013 at 7:15pm

6 persons have voted this message useful

nicozerpa
Triglot
Argentina
Joined 4135 days ago

182 posts - 315 votes 
Speaks: Spanish*, Portuguese, English
Studies: Italian, German

Message 2 of 31
20 November 2013 at 7:29pm | IP Logged 
I always thought that people who use "because" this way were just playing with the
language. There are other deliberately ungrammatical words/expressions that are popular
on the Internet. The Doge meme or "Do you even English?" are some examples.

BTW, I've seen a few people in Spanish using the word "porque" (because) as a preposition too.

Edited by nicozerpa on 20 November 2013 at 7:46pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Thatzright
Diglot
Finland
Joined 5481 days ago

202 posts - 311 votes 
Speaks: Finnish*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, German, Russian

Message 3 of 31
20 November 2013 at 7:34pm | IP Logged 
nicozerpa wrote:
I always thought that people who use "because" this way were only
playing with the
language. There are other deliberately ungrammatical words/expressions that are popular
on the Internet. The Doge meme or "Do you even English?" are some examples.

BTW, I've seen a few people in Spanish using the word "porque" (because) as a
preposition
too.

This is my impression as well. I sometimes use "because" like this and it's definitely
intended to simply be playful. I mean, as far as I know, nobody does this outside the
internet and therefore the whole thing should probably be seen as just another meme,
not something that will actually catch on.

And yes, it happens in Finnish too with "koska" (because). It's usually teenagers and
wannabe-wisemen using it in sarcastical commentary.

Edited by Thatzright on 20 November 2013 at 7:35pm

3 persons have voted this message useful

tastyonions
Triglot
United States
goo.gl/UIdChYRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 4474 days ago

1044 posts - 1823 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish
Studies: Italian

Message 4 of 31
20 November 2013 at 7:39pm | IP Logged 
Can't say that I've seen it in French yet, even in the bottom of the linguistic barrel (YouTube).

emk
Diglot
United States
Joined 5341 days ago

2615 posts - 8806 votes 
Speaks: English*, FrenchB2
Studies: Spanish, Ancient Egyptian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 31
20 November 2013 at 8:56pm | IP Logged 
I found an interesting Language Log thread from last year with tons of examples in the comments, including one poster in Pittsburgh who apparently hears this all the time in informal spoken English.

Five minutes of Googling reveals no sign this has crossed over into French Internet slang the way "Epic fail" has.
1 person has voted this message useful

geoffw
Triglot
United States
Joined 4497 days ago

1134 posts - 1865 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Yiddish
Studies: Modern Hebrew, French, Dutch, Italian, Russian

Message 6 of 31
20 November 2013 at 9:02pm | IP Logged 
I can haz cheezburger?

No.

Y?

Because.

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6965 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 7 of 31
20 November 2013 at 9:21pm | IP Logged 
tastyonions wrote:
Original article

Quote:
English Has a New Preposition, Because Internet

Let's start with the dull stuff, because pragmatism.

The word "because," in standard English usage, is a subordinating conjunction, which means that it connects two parts of a sentence in which one (the subordinate) explains the other. In that capacity, "because" has two distinct forms. It can be followed either by a finite clause (I'm reading this because [I saw it on the web]) or by a prepositional phrase (I'm reading this because [of the web]). These two forms are, traditionally, the only ones to which "because" lends itself.

I mention all that ... because language. Because evolution. Because there is another way to use "because." Linguists are calling it the "prepositional-because." Or the "because-noun."

You probably know it better, however, as explanation by way of Internet—explanation that maximizes efficiency and irony in equal measure. I'm late because YouTube. You're reading this because procrastination. As the language writer Stan Carey delightfully sums it up: "'Because' has become a preposition, because grammar."

...It's a usage, in other words, that is exceptionally bloggy and aggressively casual and implicitly ironic. And also highly adaptable. Carey has unearthed instances of the "because-noun" construction with the noun in question being, among other terms, "science, math, people, art, reasons, comedy, bacon, ineptitude, fun, patriarchy, politics, school, intersectionality, and winner." (Intersectionality! Because THEORY. Bacon! Because BACON.)

But the formulation isn't simply limited to nouns. Carey again:

The construction is more versatile than “because+noun” suggests. Prepositional because can be yoked to verbs (Can’t talk now because cooking), adjectives (making up examples because lazy), interjections (Because yay!), and maybe adverbs too, though in strings like Because honestly., the adverb is functioning more as an exclamation. The resulting phrases are all similarly succinct and expressive.

Any thoughts? Seems kind of faddish to me, and as far as I can tell it is restricted to the written language (never heard anyone use this form in speech), but I guess we'll see.

-1 (that is, I couldn't bring myself to use this structure considering that it doesn't impart more communicative value than existing structures. Eeewww. Your sense that it's faddish is bang-on for me.)
4 persons have voted this message useful

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4512 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 8 of 31
20 November 2013 at 9:29pm | IP Logged 
I actually do hear this in speech pretty frequently - and use it myself (context: 21-year-old American in the
Northeast).

However, this use of "because" is really only suitable for joking around between friends. As nicozerpa said, it's really
just co-opting a meme. We use it because it sticks out like a sore thumb and is obviously wrong. Therefore, I don't
see this going on the path to legitimacy anytime soon.

4 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 31 messages over 4 pages: 2 3 4  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version