United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3990 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French, Dutch
Studies: Russian

Message 1 of 3
24 November 2013 at 5:16pm | IP Logged 
Hello friends!

I am making this thread as my motivation to take my language skills to the next level: certification. I have just graduated from the University of North Carolina and am fortunate to have landed a successful job. As a result, I am making sure to continue acquiring language certifications to accelerate my professional development.

My plan is to develop my French and Spanish skills further, as these two languages are the ones that I feel are closest to professional certification level. After that, I will likely work towards Italian, Dutch, and Russian at the same time. That would put me at 6 "fluent" languages, not including the time I've spent learning Latin, Polish, German, and the Scandinavian languages.

Please feel free to message/skype me anytime at joe.shanahan1. I look forward to speaking with you!
2 persons have voted this message useful

Cavesa
Triglot
Czech Republic
Joined 4802 days ago

3277 posts - 6779 votes 
Speaks: Czech*, FrenchC2, EnglishC1
Studies: Spanish, German, Italian

Message 2 of 3
01 December 2013 at 12:12am | IP Logged 
Wow, you certainly don't lack ambition!

It sounds good. Which certificate are you going for first? How are you going to prepare?
1 person has voted this message useful

Jtshana92
Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 3990 days ago

3 posts - 4 votes
Speaks: English*, Italian, Spanish, French, Dutch
Studies: Russian

Message 3 of 3
01 December 2013 at 5:18pm | IP Logged 
Cavesa wrote:
Wow, you certainly don't lack ambition!

It sounds good. Which certificate are you going for first? How are you going to prepare?

Thanks for your post, friend! I know that for French, FIAF in New York City offers the "DELF" and the "TCF", which appear to me to be suitable for my needs. As for Spanish, I suppose I will take DELE's exam in Boston or NYC.

I estimate that with maybe 100 hours of practice per language, I could bring myself to C1 or C2. I recognize though, that this studying must be purposeful- I can't just translate Wikipedia articles like I've been doing ;)

The other dilemma I face is that relocating is not something I feel like doing as I have lost the strong travel fever I had in college. So I hope my company can accept that I will primarily use these languages over the telephone or in localizing documents.

1 person has voted this message useful

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version