Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3863 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 
Speaks: English
Studies: German

Message 1 of 13
24 November 2013 at 11:58pm | IP Logged 
What are the learning books/tapes for European Portuguese?

Most of the material I see is for Brazilean Portuguese.
1 person has voted this message useful

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4071 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 2 of 13
25 November 2013 at 12:16am | IP Logged 
The main source seems to be Lidel, which have CEFR-levelled coursebooks, exercise books,
etc. Other than that, I am not sure because I have this problem too since most Portuguese
books are for Brazilian. I have Lidel books up to B2 level, but I am not sure what you
could do for C1/C2. Lidel provides from A1 to B2, if I remember correctly though.

iguanamon
Pentaglot
Virgin Islands
Speaks: Ladino
Joined 5043 days ago

2237 posts - 6731 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Portuguese, Haitian Creole, Creole (French)

Message 3 of 13
25 November 2013 at 1:02am | IP Logged 
In addition to the resources provided by 1e4e6, check out the Centro Virtual Camões "Aprender português" page for some great supplements to whatever course material you may use. They have great monolingual listening and reading material for all levels. "Era uma vez um rei" and "A aventura dos descobrimentos" are two series with text and audio intended for children that are very useful for learners. Also, your own Deutsche Welle- Learning by Ear; Aprender de ouvido has about 80 hours of natural conversational Portuguese in a radio play format with downloadable mp3's and pdf transcripts. Scroll down for a link to the English page where you can get the English versions. You can make your own bilingual texts with audio. The Portuguese is Mozambican, but Mozambican Portuguese follows Iberian conventions, vocabulary and the pronunciation is more similar. Historia do dia has older children's stories in Iberian Portuguese with audio, text and an English translation available.

Boa sorte!
4 persons have voted this message useful

Mani
Diglot
Germany
imsprachendickicht.b
Joined 4686 days ago

258 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Swedish, Portuguese, Latin, Welsh, Luxembourgish

Message 4 of 13
25 November 2013 at 9:17am | IP Logged 
Muito obrigada, iguanamon!

I only knew the Deutsch Welle - Learning by Ear link but wasn't sure how close the Mozambican Portuguese was to the European and if I could use it. (I too was getting a bit frustrated only finding Brazilian Portuguese beginner resources online.)

@Gemuse
There's also an European Portuguese Assimil course (base languages: French, German or Dutch).
A little hint if you're thinking about buying it. Don't order it from Germany, order it directly from the Assimil website in France. Even with shipping (ca. 10 €) it'll be about 20-25 € cheaper than if you buy it in Germany (talking about book + audio/MP3, the book alone is about the same price)

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3863 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 5 of 13
25 November 2013 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
Mani wrote:

@Gemuse
There's also an European Portuguese Assimil course (base languages: French, German or
Dutch).

AHA!. I thought it was only in French. Since I am learning German now, I can start on
it
in about 18 months (which was my plan). Gives me more motivation to learn German now
:thumbsup:

I am also planning on doing the German Assimil course - is the content (in what is
being written about) the same for both the German and Portuguese Assimil courses?

Edited by Gemuse on 25 November 2013 at 5:46pm

Gemuse
Germany
Joined 3863 days ago

818 posts - 1189 votes 

Message 6 of 13
25 November 2013 at 5:44pm | IP Logged 
1e4e6 wrote:
The main source seems to be Lidel, which have CEFR-levelled coursebooks,
exercise books,
etc.

Could you post a link to these books on one of the amazon sites? I have not been able to
find them.

PS: thanks iguanamon!

Edited by Gemuse on 25 November 2013 at 5:45pm

osoymar
Tetraglot
Pro Member
United States
Joined 4517 days ago

190 posts - 344 votes 
Speaks: English*, German, Portuguese, Japanese
Studies: Spanish, French
Personal Language Map

Message 7 of 13
25 November 2013 at 6:34pm | IP Logged 
The Michel Thomas course is for European Portuguese. I haven't worked through much of it,
since I bought it accidentally (I'm learning Brazilian Portuguese), but it seemed good.
2 persons have voted this message useful

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6378 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 8 of 13
25 November 2013 at 7:26pm | IP Logged 
Assimil is also available with a Spanish base.
If you're comfortable using German-based resources, they are your best bet, I would say.

yeah MT seemed fine to me when I tried it, I almost wished I had found it earlier.

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 13 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version