41 messages over 6 pages: 1 2 35 6  Next >>
ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5014 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 25 of 41
27 December 2013 at 9:31pm | IP Logged 
Henkkles wrote:
luke wrote:

There are of course the differences where American English has tended to simplify from British English. E.G., color instead of colour, and spelled instead of spelt.

To call this simplification is violence in my opinion. These are merely orthographical changes.

I'd call "color" simpler than "colour" (what work does that "u" do?). On the other hand, "spelt" is simpler than "spelled." Generally, the closer one can get to uniform representation of phonemes, the simpler.
1 person has voted this message useful

Cabaire
Germany
Joined 5385 days ago

725 posts - 1352 votes 

Message 26 of 41
28 December 2013 at 2:05am | IP Logged 
Quote:
On the other hand, "spelt" is simpler than "spelled." Generally, the closer one can get to uniform representation of phonemes, the simpler

Isn't there a difference of pronunciation too: [speld] versus [spelt]? Longman's Pronunciation Dictionary asserts this.
And with the same argument you should write "bedz" and "cabz" to get a uniform representation of phonemes, but the spelling rules would certainly not become simpler. Spelling by morphems (kissed instead of kist) has its advantages, because it lends uniformity to the spelling.

1e4e6
Octoglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4076 days ago

1013 posts - 1588 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Spanish, Portuguese, Norwegian, Dutch, Swedish, Italian
Studies: German, Danish, Russian, Catalan

Message 27 of 41
28 December 2013 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
I find that "tyre" and "tire" are basically the same, as they both mean the same thing
and are pronounced the same with either vowel. But if shortening words is "simpler", then
French must be fairly complicated due to its silent letters and even syllables, viz.
"finissent" pronounced without the entire final "-sent", which is four out of nine
letters of the word, or 44,4% of the whole word. Then there is "[je] rends", "[je]
vends", "lettre"...

Serpent
Octoglot
Russian Federation
serpent-849.livejour
Joined 6383 days ago

9753 posts - 15779 votes 
4 sounds
Speaks: Russian*, English, FinnishC1, Latin, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese
Studies: Danish, Romanian, Polish, Belarusian, Ukrainian, Croatian, Slovenian, Catalan, Czech, Galician, Dutch, Swedish

Message 28 of 41
28 December 2013 at 3:16am | IP Logged 
ScottScheule wrote:
On the other hand, "spelt" is simpler than "spelled."
But spelled follows the mainstream rule and spelt looks like an irregular exception. It's all very subjective.
3 persons have voted this message useful

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4614 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 29 of 41
30 December 2013 at 3:27am | IP Logged 
luke wrote:
montmorency wrote:
Isn't there also the (slightly humorous?) "dove" for
"dived"?

The word is "dove" which rhymes with "trove" as in "treasure trove".

I've been reading The Brothers Karamazov, translated by Constance Garnett. There are a
few tenses that she uses that sound wrong to me. Basically, she uses a regular past
tense when it seems to me as a native speaker from the U.S., that the tense should
actually be irregular. The "snuck" versus "sneaked" is a good example (though I don't
know that that is the example from the book. I know Constance Garnett has a good
command of the English language. Perhaps some of these differences are simply
regionalisms. E.G., in the U.K., perhaps one would say "dived". In the U.S., one
might sound a bit uncouth to say "dived" instead of "dove". (or maybe not).

Dictionary.com wrote:

Usage note
Both dived and dove are standard as the past tense of dive. Dived, historically the
older form, is somewhat more common in edited writing, but dove occurs there so
frequently that it also must be considered standard: The rescuer dove into 20 feet of
icy water. Dove is an Americanism that probably developed by analogy with
alternations like drive, drove and ride, rode.

There are of course the differences where American English has tended to simplify from
British English. E.G., color instead of colour, and spelled instead of spelt.

In my 1992 reprint of the Concise OED, for headword "dive", "dived" is given first,
with "dove" as a US variant.

More modern British dictionaries may vary.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4614 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 30 of 41
30 December 2013 at 3:28am | IP Logged 
Serpent wrote:
ScottScheule wrote:
On the other hand, "spelt" is simpler than
"spelled."
But spelled follows the mainstream rule and spelt looks like an
irregular exception. It's all very subjective.

I agree with you. But see my posting about Jane Austen, which I haven't made yet.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4614 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 

Message 31 of 41
30 December 2013 at 3:32am | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:
Quote:
On the other hand, "spelt" is simpler than "spelled."
Generally, the closer one can get to uniform representation of phonemes, the
simpler

Isn't there a difference of pronunciation too: [speld] versus [spelt]? Longman's
Pronunciation Dictionary asserts this.
And with the same argument you should write "bedz" and "cabz" to get a uniform
representation of phonemes, but the spelling rules would certainly not become simpler.
Spelling by morphems (kissed instead of kist) has its advantages, because it lends
uniformity to the spelling.

I believe I could differentiate in pronunciation between "spelt" and "spelled" (and
would prefer "spelled". I would have more difficulty with "bedz" vs "beds". (the single
"s" implying a soft "s" to me).

ScottScheule
Diglot
United States
scheule.blogspot.com
Joined 5014 days ago

645 posts - 1176 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Latin, Hungarian, Biblical Hebrew, Old English, Russian, Swedish, German, Italian, French

Message 32 of 41
30 December 2013 at 8:18pm | IP Logged 
Cabaire wrote:
Quote:
On the other hand, "spelt" is simpler than "spelled." Generally, the closer one can get to uniform representation of phonemes, the simpler

Isn't there a difference of pronunciation too: [speld] versus [spelt]? Longman's Pronunciation Dictionary asserts this.
And with the same argument you should write "bedz" and "cabz" to get a uniform representation of phonemes, but the spelling rules would certainly not become simpler. Spelling by morphems (kissed instead of kist) has its advantages, because it lends uniformity to the spelling.

You're right, there often is a difference of pronunciation. I'd prefer speld and spelt in that case.

I'd say bedz and cabz is simpler. You've got two choices for rules to be applied here:

1. The plural marker for words ending in a voiced consonant is -z.
2. The plural marker is -s, but it's pronounced [z] when following a voiced consonant.

Now, those both strike me as being of equivalent simplicity. To break the tie, I'd pick the one that allows -z to have a consistent value, which is to say, cabz and bedz.

This discussion contains 41 messages over 6 pages: << Prev 1 2 35 6  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version