15 messages over 2 pages: 1 2  Next >>
plumbem
United States
Joined 3813 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes
Studies: French

Message 1 of 15
28 November 2013 at 12:37am | IP Logged 
After a few days of browsing, I feel comfortable posting even if mostly to say that I
am overwhelmed and refreshed by the community here; its sharing of
resources,encouragement and ambition. I have rarely felt particularly understood,
comfortable, challenged, or excited in my traditional education so far (self-advocacy
and making the best of imperfect situations are skills I have only begun to pursue
recently.) This seems like an incredible, cost-effective and most importantly
empowering alternative. So before I continue to characterize a forum I don't know much
about....

My name is Edward. I grew up speaking Ohio English and some Dutch (mother's 1st
language) but lost the Dutch somewhere around age five or six. I returned to learning
Dutch at 22 using RS, my mother, family abroad (Groningen and Eindhoven,) and a year
in Amsterdam. I would self rate my Dutch at a B1-B2 (I spent much of my time abroad
reading American literature and continental philosophy.) Still it is incredible;
learning to speak my mother's tongue allowed me to understand someone I hadn't; she
become her 28 year old self (the age she immigrated;) deeper, smarter, and more
playful. Afterwards I took two months to walk the Camino from Le Puy to Santiago De
Compestela and met many polyglots who's abilities astounded and inspired me.

I've taken Latin, from 6-9th grade, French from K-8, and then as a junior in College.
It feels like I don't remember any Latin, except for some of the more prevalent word
roots. My French has always lacked confidence and interest (decent pronunciation
though :)

Completing my second Americorps year in May 2014, I seek entry into the Peace Corps and
am studying to pass the CLEP (French) exam to bolster my application and to take
advantage of much (inefficient) language learning in my earlier life. (Opportunity
Cost!)

In my lifetime I would like to attain conversational German and Spanish, near fluent
French and Dutch, high reading ability in Latin and a moderate ability in Classical
Greek.

My two year priorities are as follows

1. Pass CLEP French exam for Peace Corps application (minimum score of 50)
2. Learn French (or something else!) during my Peace Corps service
3. Elevate my Dutch to a solid B2
4. Get Latin to a comfortable reading level while abroad

Currently I speak with my mother once a week in Dutch. Beyond this, nothing.

For French I am using two Anki decks (suggestions appreciated,) listening to Michel
Thomas Foundational (and soon advanced,) and will work through level 3-5 of Rosetta
Stone (I feel its appropriate to skip 1+2).

I am working through decoding a CLEP practice examination, refreshing grammar and
building a third Anki deck for vocabulary and idiomatic expressions.

I also have acquired the complete Asterix and Obelix and Tintin in French, Dutch and
English. I love the idea of using these to learn German and Spanish eventually. Its
strange how infinitely readable they seem to me (part of this is nostalgiac.) Have not
begun reading them though...

I would love suggestions for French learning suggestions (especially for someone who
has had to sit through a lot of French classes but doesn't feel like they can use the
language in real life) and tips about the CLEP exam.

I really do feel blessed to have found this wonderful resource!

Edited by plumbem on 28 November 2013 at 1:07am

1 person has voted this message useful

plumbem
United States
Joined 3813 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes

Message 2 of 15
28 November 2013 at 12:41am | IP Logged 
Two things I just thought of...

1. Is labeling objects in my house a worthwhile way of learning vocabulary?

2. I am also a yoga teacher and if anyone has Sanskrit resources they would recommend, I
would love at least, to share them with other yoga teachers.

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4497 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 3 of 15
28 November 2013 at 5:48am | IP Logged 
Hi Plumbem, since we're both refreshing our French right now - just wanted to share a few
relevant threads I found buried in the Advice Forum.

French advice for not so new beginner
How to get back and further forward
French - next step after Assimil

Hopefully we'll both make a lot of good progress! I look forward to following your log.
:-)

Edited by Hekje on 28 November 2013 at 5:49am

2 persons have voted this message useful

plumbem
United States
Joined 3813 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes

Message 4 of 15
09 January 2014 at 4:01pm | IP Logged 
My first update!
Working in a school this year, I had coveted my winter break and planned to make great
progress in my French.
What actually happened?

Mom and I drove eastward, babbling in Dutch, through most of Pennsylvania. Hours of
good practice; the only intensive opportunity I've been afforded for some time. Just
the Sunday before I'd spoken to my uncle from Eindhoven on the phone, and perhaps due
to all the French I'd been reviewing, I reverted mostly to listening. I felt
incompetent.

We made it to Brooklyn and I made gift of my old RS CDs (Dutch) to my sister, hoping to
plant the seed of a future practice partner. She generally has always had a better ear
for languages but doesn't seem that interested.

Flu struck both mother and I unmistakably, like a shift in colors, sometime shortly
after passing through the Holland Tunnel. It is still with me, lingering along into its
third week.

I've tried to be somewhat productive despite it!
1. Using Ankhi Decks for vocab daily (animals, household objects, 500 most common
nouns, also Michel Thomas foundational phrases).
2. Onto Disc 7 of Michel Thomas foundational
3. Onto Rosetta Stone 3.2
4. Have watched The first two seasons of "Spirals" (Engrenages) Probably the only thing
I've gotten out of that is learning the word for spiral.
5. I also am building a large netflix instant queue for all of the French movies I can
find. Eventually I'll get something out of wathcing them, right?

From my experience with Dutch the most productive thing that I'm currently avoiding is
raw L2 texts. I have little stamina for reading French at this point. I am not sure if
that is because its too difficult or because of personal defect. I must admit I really
like the ease of study with Rosetta Stone and Anki. You can consume it kind of passivel
y and routinely. This tendency to passive learning may be a roadblock I have to deal
with.

Edited by plumbem on 09 January 2014 at 4:06pm

Hekje
Diglot
United States
Joined 4497 days ago

842 posts - 1330 votes 
Speaks: English*, Dutch
Studies: French, Indonesian

Message 5 of 15
09 January 2014 at 4:26pm | IP Logged 
Ah, hope you'll feel better soon plumbem!

I have to say I'm quite jealous of your practice hours with your mother. After you've been talking in Dutch for more
than 30 minutes, it feels like it suddenly just clicks in your mind (at least for me) and it's much easier to think and
carry on in the language without effort.

Are you still in Brooklyn now? That's where I live!

plumbem
United States
Joined 3813 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes

Message 6 of 15
06 February 2014 at 1:25pm | IP Logged 
Hey Hekje! Thanks for checking in. I was sadly only in Brooklyn for a couple days,
mostly around Bed-Stuy. I agree about the 1/2 hour mark. Its funny, I feel like I'll
soon be at the point where I feel more comfortable reading French than Dutch. Speaking,
though? I still can't really understand French speakers and I can't imagine producing
complex sentences fluidly. Dutch is my speaking language and French, is for now my
reading language.

Anyways, here's what I've accomplished in French
-Continued daily Anki study (about 200 cards a day)
-Moved on to 3.3 in Rosetta Stone (studying about 30 minutes a day)
-Translated the script for and watched the first two episodes of Buffy
-Read the first two chapters of the first Harry Potter

Three cool things I figured out
1. With the website Meetup.com I found a French speaking group that meets twice a
month. The day I found out, there happened to be a meeting. I was too intimidated and
stayed home. That won't happen again!
2. Oh god...My kindle now has a French dictionary. I investigated this a couple years
ago and I wasn't able to change the dictionary from English. Harry Potter has been
incredibly easy to get through. (Mostly ignoring verb tense for now). This is really
reason I need to take my CLEP soon so I can split my time between Dutch and French and
smash through some romans.
3. My immediate family has agreed to find themselves in the Netherlands come August.
What a great reason to put some good work in. I am looking at possibly booking passage
on a cargo-ship. Maybe a French one, eh?

I am getting kind of addicted. A couple new board games stole a week of January
somewhere but, otherwise I'm being really consistent and having a great time. Having
great resources makes such a difference. I combed those threads you gave me, to find
the Buffy with script. Can't say I'm that hooked on the show yet but I know some people
really enjoy it, so I'm giving it till the end of the first season.

-Edward

plumbem
United States
Joined 3813 days ago

9 posts - 10 votes

Message 7 of 15
23 February 2014 at 10:12pm | IP Logged 
Have lost some steam since my last post but things remain relatively productive.

-I am into chapter 8 of Harry Potter, that's something good.
-I had to miss this month's French meet-up due to work obligations.
-My search for a Dutch kindle dictionary is paused for now
-Haven't watched any Buffy
-Almost done with French RS 3.3 (should be farther)
-Starting Michel Thomas' Vocabulary builder (less and less convinced this should be a
priotiy))
-Anki review has been stifled. Need a new deck to motivate me. I feel strong about %90
of the words in my current decks.
-Sent some e-mails about securing a ticket aboard a French vessel in August

The most important thing is that I scheduled my CLEP exam, March 13th I believe.
This gives me three weeks to start working on test-related material, which basically
means I need to worry about what a French 202 textbook covers. I am not freaking out
but I would like to do well. (I need at least a 50 for the peace corps)

Also have done 5 level 1 activities on the GLOSS website. This is probably the best use
of my time preparing for the test. (listening to audio, multiple choice, useful
footnotes on grammar)

To do before 3/13
-> translate 2-3 past CLEP exams, identify needs
->Complete 15 more GLOSS activities
->Go through a grammar review of 202 material (will not enjoy this)
->Write a post in this log :)

PS, I've also allowed myself to be almost completely without obligations for June and
July of this year. (just keeping up with a few vegetable gardens) I hope to get a lot
of language learning achieved then.

Edited by plumbem on 23 February 2014 at 10:14pm

Vos
Diglot
Australia
Joined 5360 days ago

766 posts - 1020 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Dutch, Polish

Message 8 of 15
24 February 2014 at 2:08am | IP Logged 
Hey Plumbem, great to see another person learning Dutch and in a similar situation as me. My parents are also
from The Netherlands and apparently before I started preschool (age 3/4), I was speaking more Dutch than
English and even had the Twents (Enschede) accent. It's great to read that your mother is really supportive of you
trying to recapture and improve your Dutch and will happily speak to you in it.

In terms of a Dutch dictionary for the kindle, I've been reading up and looking for one also and it seems that at
the moment there simply isn't one in existence. Would be so amazingly handy as I've got a bunch of Dutch books
on my kindle but at least at the moment my vocabulary isn't big enough to be able to read them with sufficient
ease, hence how helpful and amazing a Dutch dictionary for Kindle would be. If you do ever happen to come
across one though, please do give me a yell!

Also as you're in to your Yoga, if you ever feel like listening to some related conversation about Buddhism,
mindfulness, spiritual practices etc, check out BOScast van de Boeddhistische Omroep on iTunes. Een
geweldige podcast zelfs als je bij zulke dingen niet te veel belang hebt.

Anyway, welcome to the forum, good lukc with your French, the exam and you Dutch, and hope you make lots of
progress this year!

Edited by Vos on 24 February 2014 at 2:09am

2 persons have voted this message useful

This discussion contains 15 messages over 2 pages: 2  Next >>

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version