Diglot
United States
Joined 6964 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 1 of 5
29 November 2013 at 6:26pm | IP Logged 
It would be nice to have a list of Bible translations that are thought to be good literary compliments to one
another. One I'm aware of is the NIV/NVI translations, which are modern and even available in parallel text
form.

Most interesting to me would be public domain versions. Not all Bibles were translated from original sources.
So, for instance if one could say, the French Louis the 14th Bible was a faithful translated of the English King
James translation, that would be super helpful to those of us who may want to read in another language and
are aided by a literary translation.

I really don't mean for this to be any kind of ideological debate, or whether a translation is considered more
authentic based on the latest scholarship, unless in by so doing, one can say these Bibles use a similar
syntax and morphology because the writers were all operating from the same page and thought it was there
duty to provide the most accurate translation possible.

For extra credit, if you are aware of recordings, that would be wonderful.

I can say the NVI (Spanish) translation is available in audio format, but the engineer truncated the silence out
of the recording, apparently not believing in dramatic pauses, thinking saving a few CDs of silence would be
his great service. That audio is further hampered by a not quite monotone, but rather mono-melodic speaker.

Edited by luke on 29 November 2013 at 6:27pm

1 person has voted this message useful

James29
Diglot
United States
Joined 5134 days ago

1265 posts - 2113 votes 
Studies: French

Message 2 of 5
29 November 2013 at 9:49pm | IP Logged 
There are a lot of bilingual Bibles out there and the publishers try to match up versions. I have three in English/Spanish: NIV/NVI, Good News/Dios Habla Hoy and New Life/Nueva Vida. Of the three I have, I think the Spanish versions were translated from the English versions (with the exception of the Good News/DHH) because the translations match pretty closely. In the Good News/DHH one the translations do not really match very well and it is harder to compare the two translations in a learning way.

Of these three, my current preference is actually the DHH becasue there is free audio available (the entire New Testament is still available on youtube and was downloadable on faith comes through hearing) and the DHH is noticeably easier to read than the NVI.

The New Life/Nueva Vida is a super simple Bible to read... the English is actually "Basic English" and the vocabulary is limited to only 850 words. For example, I recall for "widow" they write "woman whose husband has died" or something like that. It really is very easy to read and I found it was pretty cool to actually read the Bible so early on in my studies. Unfortunately, there is not a Nueva Vida Biblia audio book. The easiest Spanish Bible audio is the DHH.

The NVI is also available online in audio. The New Testament is available in dramatized audio and the entire thing is available in regular audio book format. La Biblia de las Americas (which is often paired with the NASB in bilingual Bibles) is also availalbe online.

I have seen Spanish translations of The Message and the New Living Bibles also and those should be pretty easy for learning, but I have not seen Spanish audio for either of those.

Two great audio resources are Bible Gateway and my favorite, Faith Comes by Hearing. The Faith Comes by Hearing site is incredible and has numerous languages available for download.... unfortunately, there are not as many versions available for download as there used to be. For example, they used to have the DHH available, but don't have it anymore.

If anyone knows where there is high quality Old Testament audio of the DHH or a dramatized version of the NVI, I'd appreciate a link. I'd like to do the New Testament in Spanish, but the guy that does the NVI speaks a mile a minute and I cannot listen to him for more than 10 minutes.

Edited by James29 on 30 November 2013 at 12:36pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

Leurre
Bilingual Pentaglot
United StatesRegistered users can see my Skype Name
Joined 5184 days ago

219 posts - 372 votes 
Speaks: French*, English*, Korean, Haitian Creole, SpanishC2
Studies: Japanese

Message 3 of 5
30 November 2013 at 10:58am | IP Logged 
Not sure if directly answering the query/point being brought up but the following site is
great for language learning based on the Bible-

www dot wordproject dot org

Some languages do not have audio, or only have computer generated audio, but others are
read through by people. Also the simultaneous viewing features (hell you can view like 5
languages simultaneously) are pretty cool. I don't know which version of the bible it is
(that's maybe written in the about section), but the English and Italian ones that I've
been using correspond pretty well to one another.

luke
Diglot
United States
Joined 6964 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 4 of 5
30 November 2013 at 3:34pm | IP Logged 
Leurre wrote:
Not sure if directly answering the query/point being brought up but the following site is
great for language learning based on the Bible-

www dot wordproject dot org

Thank you!

http://www.wordproject.org/ has a nice Louis
Segond
recording. This is cool because it was revised in 1910, so the language should be modern and
it's in the public domain.

http://biblestudytools.com/ also looks to have a nice site for laying out parallel translations.

Edited by luke on 30 November 2013 at 3:44pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Iversen
Super Polyglot
Denmark
berejst.dk
Joined 6462 days ago

9078 posts - 16473 votes 
Speaks: Danish*, French, English, German, Italian, Spanish, Portuguese, Dutch, Swedish, Esperanto, Romanian, Catalan
Studies: Afrikaans, Greek, Norwegian, Russian, Serbian, Icelandic, Latin, Irish, Lowland Scots, Indonesian, Polish, Croatian
Personal Language Map

Message 5 of 5
02 December 2013 at 10:29am | IP Logged 
If you are interested in different versions of the Bible then you might also like the French Lexilogos site (I use its virtual keyboard alot, but in a few cases also its parallel-text-builder)

Edited by Iversen on 02 December 2013 at 10:31am

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version