Troy
Triglot
United States
Joined 4548 days ago

2 posts - 5 votes
Speaks: English, Tagalog, French

Message 1 of 5
30 November 2013 at 4:31pm | IP Logged 
Hi everyone, I am a high school graduate but haven't been to college for quite some
time now, but I finally decided that it's time to get a degree. I'm currently learning
German, so I wanted to study in Germany to get my BA in engineering. I plan to go to a
Studienkolleg for a year first before applying to a university.

However, I have found that the process of applying there is quite confusing. I'm just
not clear on how to go about on doing it. Do I need to take a German proficiency test?
Do I still use uni-assist even though I'm going to a Studienkolleg? Do I use the
application form of the University I'm going to or the application form of Uni-assist?

If anyone here has experience on applying in Germany, I would really appreciate if you
could help me out and give me a step-by-step guide.

By the way, the University I have my eye on is Technische Hochshule Mittelhessen
located in Giessen.

Edited by Troy on 30 November 2013 at 4:32pm

1 person has voted this message useful

Josquin
Heptaglot
Germany
Joined 4625 days ago

2266 posts - 3992 votes 
Speaks: German*, English, French, Latin, Italian, Russian, Swedish
Studies: Japanese, Irish, Portuguese, Persian

Message 2 of 5
30 November 2013 at 4:52pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, I can't help you with your question, but I nevertheless have to comment on this. Gießen is the ugliest German city I have ever seen. If I were you, I would want to study somewhere else. I don't know about the quality of the Technische Hochschule Mittelhessen, but if you want to have a nice quality of living there are probably more attractive universities.

montmorency
Diglot
United Kingdom
Joined 4609 days ago

2371 posts - 3676 votes 
Speaks: English*, German
Studies: Danish, Welsh

Message 3 of 5
01 December 2013 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
I'm sure there are loads of great places to study in Germany, but you might want to
think about Jena, Thuringen.

As well as the Friedrich Schiller
University

there is the Ernst Abbe
Fachhochschule

both in the middle of the city.

Personally, I find it a rather charming place, and in an interesting area, with Weimar
not far away, as well as
other relatively unspoilt cities, such as Eisenach, and Erfurt within relatively easy
reach.

Jena Campus Radio may help to give some
flavour of the place.

Wherever you go, I hope you have a great time (I'm sure you will), and I'm slightly
envious.

Edited by montmorency on 01 December 2013 at 11:06pm

Tollpatchig
United States
Joined 3788 days ago

161 posts - 210 votes 
Speaks: English*
Studies: German, Maltese

Message 4 of 5
08 December 2013 at 4:50pm | IP Logged 
I'd like to attend college in Germany so I'm going to be following this thread and hopefully we'll get some more information. My problem is that I'm basically a college dropout so I probably wouldn't be accepted into ANY university overseas.

Mareike
Germany
Joined 6005 days ago

267 posts - 323 votes 
Speaks: German*
Studies: English, Swedish

Message 5 of 5
10 December 2013 at 9:13pm | IP Logged 
@Troy

„Studienkolleg courses are designed to prepare participants linguistically as well as content-wise for their degrees, therefore the courses will always be taught in German. If you pass the Feststellungsprüfung, this will be taken by any university in Germany as proof that you have sufficient German language skills for your degree course, i.e. comparable with a DSH 2 certificate.
However, a good command of German will be necessary anyway before you can be admitted to a Studienkolleg course. In general, applicants will at least need a language certificate at B1 level, although sometimes the requirements are even higher (or in isolated cases, lower). A small number of universities offer a language course before the Studienkolleg begins, so that applicants can reach the level they need for the Studienkolleg.
You are also required to fulfil German language requirements if you plan to study an entirely English-language degree, since German is the teaching language for the Studienkolleg.“ (http://www.uni-assist.de/preparatory-courses.html)

I think you need a B1 certificate for the Studienkolleg and you do a second language certificate together the „Feststellungsprüfung“. That should be enough.

And if you look at this paper: http://www.thm.de/international/images/stories/zulassung/Inf o_Zulassungsantrag_SS_2014THM.pdf
I think you have to apply through uni-assist, another hint:
„Für die Zulassung zum Studienkolleg:
Sie müssen einen erfolgreich abgeschlossenen Deutschkurs der Niveaustufe B 2 nachweisen. Die Zugangsprüfung zum Studienkolleg ist ein Sprachtest kombiniert mit einem Mathematiktest. Auch in der  "Feststellungsprüfung" wird Ihr Deutschniveau getestet.“ (http://www.thm.de/international/de/international-studies-ma inmenu-220/regular-programmes-mainmenu-277#language)

Please remember I'm not part of the university. If you want to make sure that you take the right process, you should contact one of them: http://www.thm.de/international/de/international-studies-mai nmenu-220/help-aamp-contact-international-105

@Tollpatchig
That depends on the university and on the subject. The reason why you drop out could also play a role.
I changed my subject after the sixth semester without a problem. I think you have to ask the university, who offer the potential degree.

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version