Diglot
United States
Joined 6987 days ago

3133 posts - 4351 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish
Studies: Esperanto, French

Message 17 of 20
31 December 2013 at 2:37am | IP Logged 
FSI Basic Spanish surprised me by having a lot of arithmetic. They actually do a lot of numeric drills. For me
numbers aren't so difficult. At one point I found an algegra book in Spanish and it seemed eminently doable.
I also got one of those GED Prep books (high school equivelency diploma) in Spanish and found it to be an
interesting adjunct to studying. It was interesting because it was target (native) language material, but was
still autodidactic in nature. That book also had a mathematic section. Best of all, it was a giant phone book
sized tome and that cost about $10.

Edited by luke on 31 December 2013 at 2:38am

1 person has voted this message useful

Speakeasy
Canada
Joined 3834 days ago

507 posts - 1098 votes 
Studies: German

Message 18 of 20
14 January 2014 at 12:55am | IP Logged 
Some years ago, Charles Berlitz, a renowned polyglot, reported that numbers/arithmetic/mathematics were the "very last element" that he would integrate linguistically, but that he was not always successful in doing so; at least, not in every language that he spoke. He surmised that the underlying problem was that numbers do not have syntax the way that words do. That is, whether a 5 precedes a 3, or follows it, has no particular linguistic significance in itself and the language-learner cannot depend on his/her having internalized the syntax of second language to sort this out. Perhaps others would like to comment on Mr. Berlitz' theory?

My own experience leads me to agree with Mr. Berlitz, but I am not at all sure what the internalization process is. Throughout my career, my duties required that I work with numbers and perform mathematics on a daily basis. At one point, I assumed a position in a French-speaking production plant. It took me about two years to "speak numerically" with more-or-less the same rapid fluency as my French-speaking colleagues. Nonetheless, at this stage, I was fully aware that I would "see" the numbers in English and translate them virtually instantaneously into French, thereby giving myself the "aura" of being "numerically bilingual." It took me about another year before, when scanning a document, I would actually "see" the numbers in French and would no longer be translating them. So, from my own experience, working with numbers and doing mathematics is possible in a second language; however, it takes a LOT of practice for the process to become internalized.

Bao
Diglot
Germany
tinyurl.com/pe4kqe5
Joined 5548 days ago

2256 posts - 4046 votes 
Speaks: German*, English
Studies: French, Spanish, Japanese, Mandarin

Message 19 of 20
14 January 2014 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
Fuenf_Katzen wrote:
Interestingly, I remember a class in college where the professor asked everyone (native English and non-native English speakers alike) to count from 1-10 without telling us why. Everyone counted in their native language. The purpose of that was to show that counting is one of the areas that more often defaults to the native language.   

Odd. If you told me to count from one to ten, I'd count from one to ten. If you told me to count from eins bis zehn, I'd count from eins bis zehn. If I don't know why you're asking me, I assume you might want to ask me for a result, and so I'd prepare it in the language used for instruction ...

On the other hand, if you gave me the problem on paper, and it was something like "113 - (3+4) - (4+5) - (5+6) - ..." to count down to the lowest number above 0, then I'd probably revert to German in addition to the numerical value I 'see' in my imagination, and only read the result out in English.

By the way, khanacademy is fun.

anamsc2
Tetraglot
Groupie
United States
Joined 4341 days ago

85 posts - 186 votes 
Speaks: English*, Spanish, Catalan, German
Studies: French

Message 20 of 20
14 January 2014 at 4:59am | IP Logged 
When I was in high school, I remember my Spanish teacher saying something like "no matter how well people learn a foreign language, they always count and do math in their native language." At that time I was quite stubborn and also bent on learning "native-level" Spanish, so I wanted to prove her wrong. For months, I did online sudoku puzzles and made sure to think the numbers in Spanish instead of in English. The end result is that now I count in my head naturally in Spanish about 50% of the time without thinking about it (the other 50% is in English, but I haven't been able to figure out a pattern). It didn't really help me get native Spanish, though. :)

This discussion contains 20 messages over 3 pages: << Prev 1 2

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version