Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4148 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 1 of 6
03 December 2013 at 7:41pm | IP Logged 
I am thinking about learning turkish for 2014.

Any ideas on which course for beginners to choose?

Colloquial, linguaphone, fsi, ty , pimsleur?

Any ideas?
1 person has voted this message useful

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6946 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 2 of 6
03 December 2013 at 10:11pm | IP Logged 
Among the typical choices in the Anglospheric market, I'd recommend TY Beginner's Turkish (now known as "Getting Started in Turkish"). It's a gentle introduction, and after completing it you should have a good idea if you want to continue or not. After having worked through that course, I've been slowly ploughing through Öztopçu's "Elementary Turkish" and Çankaya et al.'s Turkish Self-Study Course. I like these courses a fair bit, but they weren't cheap for me. I'd suggest them to a beginner who's serious about learning Turkish independently because of their thoroughness.

If Amazon.com is any indication, TY Turkish is a little bit better than Colloquial Turkish but if I remember right, hrhenry noted that the pace at which TY Turkish introduces new content picks up noticeably starting from around the middle of the course. That might sap some of the motivation from beginners. Incidentally, hrhenry liked using Pimsleur Turkish to get himself going in Turkish before moving on to the full-fledged courses.

Of course, you can always look for stuff that's available legally and without charge. FSI Turkish Basic Course is an obvious choice but there're also other goodies according to unzum's list of Turkish material at So You Want to Learn a Language.

If you do take the plunge, consider also getting a good bilingual dictionary (English <> Turkish or Greek <> Turkish, your pick). I use Langenscheidt's New Standard Turkish Dictionary (ed. R. Akdikmen) and Milet Comprehensive Dictionary (ed. B. Çankaya et al.) but Turkish dictionaries compiled by James Redhouse are also very good according to daristani who is a fluent non-native speaker of Turkish.

See also the following:
Tackling Turkish
Lesser-known Turkish courses
Turkish Learners doing TAC 2012
FSI Turkish
Anybody Try Turkish?
FSI Turkish. Any good?
Best resource for learning Turkish
Turkish Resources (Unilang)

İyi şanslar!
5 persons have voted this message useful

kanewai
Triglot
United States
justpaste.it/kanewai
Joined 4679 days ago

1386 posts - 3054 votes 
Speaks: English*, French, Marshallese
Studies: Italian, Spanish

Message 3 of 6
03 December 2013 at 10:44pm | IP Logged 
I thought the TY Course was good, although I found that around Lesson 6 or 7 I stalled
and found it difficult to progress. I had a good academic grasp of the language, but
needed to hear it in real life to understand how it all fit together. Even this little
bit, though, allowed me to hit the ground running during a three week trip to Turkey.

I'll be restarting again soon, and have downloaded the FSI course. It looks incredibly
comprehensive.

I listened to the Assmil clips on sound cloud, and did not like their speakers at all.
They had the exaggerated and unnatural cadences that Assimil sometimes uses for more
exotic languages.

Pimsleur is always good in the beginning, but I view it more as an introduction
to a language than actual learning the language.

Edited by kanewai on 03 December 2013 at 10:46pm

2 persons have voted this message useful

renaissancemedi
Bilingual Triglot
Greece
Joined 4148 days ago

941 posts - 1309 votes 
Speaks: Greek*, Ancient Greek*, EnglishC2
Studies: French, Russian, Turkish, Modern Hebrew

Message 4 of 6
03 December 2013 at 11:04pm | IP Logged 
Thank you both so much for your answers.

There is so much material out there!

Turkish is one of the languages I really want to learn, not just achieve a basic conversational ease. So, I will use more than one sources, and it will not be an only audio one.

I will look into all of those and hope to make the correct decision for my beginner's efforts.

Very happy to see support is available in a most helpful way!

Chung
Diglot
Joined 6946 days ago

4228 posts - 8259 votes 
20 sounds
Speaks: English*, French
Studies: Polish, Slovak, Uzbek, Turkish, Korean, Finnish

Message 5 of 6
04 December 2013 at 3:08am | IP Logged 
Not a problem, renaissancemedi. Indeed Turkish is very well-represented when it comes to learning material for foreigners. It sure doesn't seem that way though when walking into a typical large bookstore that caters to the general public (e.g. Barnes and Noble (USA), Hugendubel (Germany), Waterstones (UK)) where the section for foreign languages is dominated by material for FIGS, Russian, Mandarin, and Japanese, and just maybe a few titles for Arabic or Portuguese if you're lucky).

SchwarzerWolf
Italy
Joined 4313 days ago

20 posts - 27 votes
Speaks: Italian*
Studies: English, German

Message 6 of 6
09 December 2013 at 10:01pm | IP Logged 
Sorry, mistake

Edited by SchwarzerWolf on 09 December 2013 at 10:01pm

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login. If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic Printable version Printable version